what didn't you know when you first cruised

marshhawk

I know, this is under new Cruisers, but who is answering your questions? People who have cruised. I have just read another review where the person said there was nothing to do on their cruise. ???? Really? Said the food wasn't good at the Chinese Buffet? ???? Really ? they didn't know that there was a sit down, full service restaurant for 4-5 days? So-for you, our new cruisers, I would like those who have cruised to come up with one thing that they didn't know before they got on their first cruise.

and this is mine

carnival-they serve breakfast and dinner in the MDR (main dining room,) and you can order seconds,

I found out the hard way, the following from 1st and 2nd cruises:

Take more clothes for the Caribbean; opposite the conventional wisdom of bringing less - especially if you going to pool/sundeck/beach and then dining /going to a show.

(Lesson from 1st cruise)

Bring your own insulated travel mug - not only is it cheaper to buy anywhere else but on a cruise ship, but also get more coffee /tea because the cruise ship's mugs/cups are super tiny. (Learn that from 1st and 2nd one)

Bring your refillable water bottles - cheaper than buyong on the ship (2st cruise), less heavy lugging around and handle to your luggage won't get broken by the porters (expensive and muscle arching lesson from 2nd cruise).

If you have anxiety regarding when you will get your checked bag back from the porters - then don't use a checked bag, use carry-on instead (lesson from 2nd cruise)

One port activity in the Caribbean a dayin one general spot is way more than enough - even if its walking (lesson learned in 1st cruise)

You're not missing out on much if you nap during the day , especially Nassau & Florida (lesson learned on 2nd cruise - was sick with amild cold coming back from then cold beach at Florida through Nassau )

Martini tastings on 1st seaday cures Laryngitis (learn that on 2nd one -and then got sick again at Orlando, at least its was super mild one...)

Chicken tenders and Buffalo wings prevent super hangovers (learned at martini tasting at 2nd cruise - boy, did I need it that....)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

On embarkation day, board as early as possible, and explore the ship from end to end, and top to bottom, so you'll have at least a rough idea of where everything is. On our very first cruise, we had been on board for three days before we discovered the omelet station.