Bikes on Princess

RMMariner

There is no storage, that would imply responsibility. Has to be in your cabin.

There are not near as many people on the stairs, and I am sure I could do it without bothering anyone.

As far as going up and down many floors, if storage could be arranged on the lower decks, I do not think it would be a problem.

If this was a real problem, I imagine that Princess would just say no to bikes.

Have you actually been inconvenienced by someone carrying a bike up or down the stairs on your cruise? If so, what could be done to minimize the problem?

Good point. I can see how that would be annoying. No problems though. Two cruises, and I have never used an elevator yet. I try to use the stairs all the time. Just trying to keep from putting on weight.

Carrying your bike?

Carrying your bike?

Bike only weighs 25 pounds or so. That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger. :)

Oh, also a good idea about hanging the unmentionables. That might be my ace in the hole. I think what she most worries about is that I will get her a bike too.

You can purchase magnet hooks that will hold 50lbs apiece. The ceiling is magnetic. A couple of those hooks, some straps and it's off the floor.

Now, finding the right place to hang it might be a problem but I think you'd somewhere that would work.

Edit: Better thought - get four of those magnets and hang it horizontally against the ceiling.

Edited by beg3yrs

You can purchase magnet hooks that will hold 50lbs apiece. The ceiling is magnetic. A couple of those hooks, some straps and it's off the floor.

Now, finding the right place to hang it might be a problem but I think you'd somewhere that would work.

Edit: Better thought - get four of those magnets and hang it horizontally against the ceiling.

That is a truly great idea. I hung two bikes like this in my tiny dorm room at university, but of course not with magnets. You may just have solved my most pressing problem. Thank You.

I think the ceilings are thin panels held mostly in by the rails for easy maintenance. I wouldn't trust the ceiling structure to hold 50 pounds at all. Need a beam or similar support structure.

That is a truly great idea. I hung two bikes like this in my tiny dorm room at university, but of course not with magnets. You may just have solved my most pressing problem. Thank You.

For the record, my wife does not want me to bring it. So help me out folks :)

If you book a mini-suite I think you would have enough space to store the bike in the closet area. Getting a mini suite might be a selling point for your wife and you can assure her that there is only room for ONE bike ( since you said she is afraid you might want to bring one for her too LOL) :D

I think the ceilings are thin panels held mostly in by the rails for easy maintenance. I wouldn't trust the ceiling structure to hold 50 pounds at all. Need a beam or similar support structure.

I agree, too flimsy to hold something like that and will probably cause damage.

If you intend to carry the bike up and down stairs be careful not to bump people, remember there are a lot of frail people out there.

Any idea how much damage you could cause someone with, say, a back injury if you hit them with part of the bike.

The bike is 25 lbs. With four magnets it is only 6.75 lbs per magnet. Not going to be a problem.

I think I was looking into Viking River cruised or one of the smaller lines that does Europe and the Med. They had bikes for guests to ride into the ports. I thought it was a great idea. My DH thinks anything to do with a bike is work. We are on vacation, not work. So any excursions renting bikes, etc are out.

Good luck!

...I don't want to cause problems for the staff or other cruisers, but I really want to ride...For the record, my wife does not want me to bring it. So help me out folks :)

IMHO, I would think the way to bring a bike onboard and be the least intrusive to other passengers would be to either have it brought up to your cabin on a crew elevator, if possible, or carry it yourself up the forward passenger stairs. I find that they get the least use on most ships.

I figure if you are in good enough shape to ride around port, you should be able to carry a bike up the stairs, as inconvenient as it may be. Perhaps choose a cabin on a lower deck to make this easier?

I've used mini wheeled folding bikes in a small airplane I use to own and they were a blast to use. They stayed with the plane when I sold it, dumb move on my part. I saw a couple across the hall on the CB a few years ago with full size wheeled folding bikes that they carried on and off the ship in a soft case each day, I thought what a great idea. If I lived in an area near a port like FLL and could drive them to a ship I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I agree dealing with fellow passengers and crew you need to slow down and give a bit of respect if you want the same.

framer

So Cal and Framer.

You are both absolutely right. I do not want to disrespect anyone or bother other passengers and crew. I am more than willing to forgo the elevators, and arrange to have a cabin lower down. I really only need to take the bike out on shore days and I figured on waiting for the initial rush to subside.

I did not take it on my first two cruises because I wanted to make sure that I would not cause problems.

I can say this. I saw very few people taking the stairs and I could easily manage to navigate the stairs without hurting or inconveniencing anyone.

In fact, I live 50 km outside Vancouver so it would actually be very easy for me to ride in on my bike with all my luggage in panniers if I wanted. My wife would kill me if I did, but I could.:)

Having received the advice of this board, I am thinking I probably would not bother with a traditional bike. I can buy a folding bike. I would need one for airline travel anyway.

I was just looking for a way to couple my wife's love of cruising with something I love to do.

Thank you for all your posts. This group had some really great ideas that I had not even thought of.

RMMariner, just book a stateroom on Deck 5 that has upper bunk beds. You use the bunk bed and just flip the lower bed and mattress against the bulk head and your bike can lean against the metal frame. Your wife's space will not be intruded upon. We always book our rooms on Deck 5, for it's easy access when in ports. It's only one level up to our room, especially when tendering.

On Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Sea, there was a Captain Johnny that has a motor scooter on board in the Bridge. When he lectures about the ship in the theater, his entry is with the scooter. He also had his Harley on board. They do a Harley reunion in Florida once a year and he rides with them.

Thats assuming the ceiling panels are fastened to the ceiling and not just resting on rails. I've had them wobble pulling off taped on decorations. I would at the very least test first as potential ship movement could add to the stress points.

The bike is 25 lbs. With four magnets it is only 6.75 lbs per magnet. Not going to be a problem.

We travel with some one in a wheelchair and it can be so frustrating at the elevators. We wait and wait for their to be enough room while others jump in front of us. Finally we come off as one of those rude people when we say coming through and make the other occupants scrunch together.

True, most ports DO NOT have bike rentals anywhere near the port. Now I have thought of bringing my bike as a healthy alternative to riding a bus or in a car, but the space they take up in a cabin stopped me. If someone were at a elevator with their bike, what is the big deal about having to wait for the next elevator? I have seen very rude people have a fit if a wheelchair is at an elevator too. I actually saw someone jump over a wheelchair to get to the elevator first. Try to remember that you are on vacation and should not be in a hurry at all on the ship. JMHO