Deals for singles

Love2Cruise4Less

Not sure if this is the correct thread for my comments/questions but I’ll try it here. Too, I’ll try to make this post not too convoluted!

I used to LOVE spending hours and hours browsing Cruise Critic. I don’t spend much time here anymore as I don’t cruise much anymore. Why? Because I’m a smoker. And single. Which, as we all know, means I must cruise only on HAL, balcony cabin, and pay single supplement. Big bucks - which I don’t have!

I subscribe to emails from a couple of online cruise agencies. I love to check out the cruise deals -- and dream of my next sailing. Alas, that is time-consuming.

My specific question is this (realizing CC does not allow references to other websites): is there an easy way to search (somewhere) for great cruise deals 1) on HAL 2) balcony cabins only and 3) showing single supplement prices? One of the weekly emails I receive is pretty good at meeting what I’m looking for. Still, it takes some time to sort through several hundred sailings. Is there an easier way?

012.jpg.97a229648cedc45f97df329483ca78d4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Google "single discount cruise". You should find a website that lists singles deals. I can't list the name here, but it's fairly easy to find. You might also look for the Cruise Critic solo cruisers page. People list cruise deals they've found there.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Actually, HAL offers a better deal on single supplements than some of the other cruise lines. So does Princess, but beware! Once you get up to the level of a balcony cabin the rate will always be 100% more. For inside or oceanview cabins it can range fro 40-60%. Crystal offers only 25% increase, but their prices are high to begin with. RCL and NCL seem to charge 100% on all cabins.

It can also depend on which cruise you take, even with the same line.

4* HAL........Elite, Princess.........800+ days at sea

Edited by silvercruiser

Actually, HAL offers a better deal on single supplements than some of the other cruise lines. So does Princess, but beware! Once you get up to the level of a balcony cabin the rate will always be 100% more. For inside or oceanview cabins it can range fro 40-60%. Crystal offers only 25% increase, but their prices are high to begin with. RCL and NCL seem to charge 100% on all cabins.

It can also depend on which cruise you take, even with the same line.

4* HAL........Elite, Princess.........800+ days at sea

I've found Hal to charge 100% supp most times. At least with princess you get double day for sailing single.

Google "single discount cruise". You should find a website that lists singles deals. I can't list the name here, but it's fairly easy to find. You might also look for the Cruise Critic solo cruisers page. People list cruise deals they've found there.

Great advice! I'd also suggest the obvious "fix": find a compatible person to cruise with you.

The "fix" is to avoid the single supplement. No assumptions were made...

I know better. Often comments are made on the board about those that are cruising single like they should just "find someone". The point is that some folks choose to be single and enjoy that. Not everyone needs someone else to make them complete. I think it's great to enjoy your own company, some folks can't be alone.

Edited by cruz chic

I meant to add that when they advertise a big sale the SS is always 100%, no matter what level of cabin you choose.

I too have sailed solo since my husband died and can't think of any friends I'd really like to share a cabin with now that I'm used to having it all to myself.

You can sometimes get a break on the supplement on inside and outside rooms. You can pretty much count on balconies and suites being double. Most of my cruises are solo, so I just have to budget accordingly.

I am VERY picky about who I travel with, whether it's a land vacation or a cruise, so just finding someone to go with me is not a viable solution. I feel your pain (in the wallet!).

Roz

I know better. Often comments are made on the board about those that are cruising single like they should just "find someone". The point is that some folks choose to be single and enjoy that. Not everyone needs someone else to make them complete. I think it's great to enjoy your own company, some folks can't be alone.

I agree. I will not share my cabin with anyone, no matter how good a friend. I want to keep them as good friends. :)

I cruise 2-3 times a year on HAL, twice in the last 12 months, and have never paid a single supplement of 100%. That said, I book insides or minimum outsides - supplements have ranged from 50% to 78%. Yes, you've got to search a bit to find them. I've also asked a PCC so search them out for me and they called back within a hour or so with list to pick from - not always a lot to pick from but always some to be had.

Thanks, all, for your replies above. For the sake of brevity I made my last post short. This time around I’ll make it lengthier. (Warning: MUCH lengthier!). For those who have the time to read -- and have any thoughts/comments/suggestions -- my thanks in advance. Here’s my story….

I am neither retired nor wealthy! Years ago I was blessed with the opportunities to do a number of “working” cruises. I fell in love with cruising! But those days are now over and whatever few cruises I have done since I’ve have to pay for in full.

I have been around Cruise Critic’s boards for many years. I do believe I’ve spent more time reading the boards than I’ve spent on a ship! Alas, as much as I love to cruise, I am a computer addict. I do know how to Google and I do know how to find information and websites. Nevertheless, with the exception of one website in particular, no websites that I have found make it easy to find great deals on solo cruises. It’s very frustrating/time-consuming to search website by website, cruise line by cruise line, sailing by sailing to see if a great single-supplement rate pops up. My original post was to inquire if anyone was aware of any new places, of which I was unaware, which may have popped up in recent years. V.T.G. excepted.

To further complicate my situation I smoke. Like a chimney. In years’ past smoking (for me) was not an issue. Alas, all the cruise lines -- save one -- have succumbed to political correctness. And, has been noted, HAL’s balcony cabin’s single-supplement rates are rarely (never?) inexpensive. Therefore, I conclude that going forward I must either 1) find an extremely rare (non-existent?) inexpensive HAL, balcony, single’s rate, 2) hit the lottery and become a millionaire, 3) give up cruising or, 4) give up smoking -- which will never happen! [Note: kindly do NOT turn my mention of smoking into a thread about smoking.] I mention it only to help describe myself and the cruise(s) which I seek. Lord knows, in my lifetime I’ve heard enough sermons on the evils of smoking. Too, I notice there is a ‘Smoking’ thread on the CC boards. Browsing through it I noted there are more posts from the “politically correct” than there are from those who smoke. Enough on that subject….

As avian777 noted the “fix” around the single-supplement is to find a cruise partner. That is obvious. As others noted some enjoy sailing solo. Yet, some of us are stuck in the middle: we have no friends who like to cruise and we have no interest in cruising with a total stranger, but neither can we afford a 100% single-supplement -- especially for HAL’s balcony cabins. What is one such as I to do?

Perhaps I got spoiled on my last cruise: somewhat at the last minute, I found and booked a balcony cabin, seven day, single rate for about $900. It was on Carnival (ick), to the Bahamas (ick), but it was cheap! I think mine was the last sailing on which Carnival allowed smoking on the balcony. As mentioned, perhaps I got spoiled. Since that sailing nearly a year ago, I’ve searched high and low for a balcony cabin, sailing single, seven+ days for less than $1000. Haven’t found anything close since. Do tell, are the “old days” gone forever?

___

Since I’m on a roll (and assuming at least a few of you are still reading) here are a few aside mentions….

-- To further complicate my cruise searches, I’ve had my fill of most Caribbean and Mexico cruises. (For us Americans they are the cheap ones.) I’ve also done Alaska and the Northeast (“fall foliage) cruises. I’d love to do Hawaii. The Baltic. Scandinavia. But, hot dang, those cruises are expensive. Sigh. Now I really am dreaming!

-- I do know that a few great deals appear for Mediterranean cruises. While the Mediterainian is not my first (or second or third) dream-choice, as they say: any cruise is better than no cruise. I could scrape up enough money and frequent-flyer miles to get to Europe. I don’t know about getting back. I may have to stay, post-cruise, forever in Europe!

-- Browsing some threads on CC this weekend I note more posts than I remember in year's past from residents of the UK. Notably, some posts mention searching cruise fares via a UK (European) website results in lower prices than searching via US ones. That, to me, seems both complicated and unfair. (Complicated in that one must convert currency, factor in exchange rates and fees, et al. -- and unfair that a cruise line would offer Europeans a lower price for the exact same cruise as they would offer to US citizens.) Alas, I digress… Have any of you single folks searched for and/or found (lower) fares using a non-US based website?

I could write more -- but I’ll give y’all a break. Comments and thoughts appreciated. But, again, PLEASE do not turn this into an anti-smoking thread! Let’s keep this thread friendly, about cruising solo/single, and about finding GREAT deals.

Lastly, forgive the spell-checker and the split-infinitives. I tend to write as I speak … must be why I’m neither an author nor an editor!

Many many many years ago (when newspapers were the most common form of communication :) ) a friend of mine wanted to see the world, so advertised for a travel companion. She got a number of replies and found someone compatible. They actually did travel most of the world together, over the course of a few years.

I just googled "solo travel seeking roommate" and got a number of returns. Have you tried anything like that? Having a roommate would certainly help with the cost of a balcony cabin.

From one solo cruiser to another: HAL considers a Lanai in the ocean view category, often with only a 60% SS. If you are willing to gamble that you MAY end up smoking in the designated areas only, booking a Lanai guarantee could result in an upgrade or paid upsell to a balcony, well below the going double rate, as happened on my last cruise.

Since insides and obstructed view cabins often have a discounted solo rate why not book one of them and do your smoking in a non-cabin area where allowed?

At least you'd be able to cruise.

We usually book inside cabins simply so we can cruise more often or take longer cruises.

I sail solo so I know of the financial pain. But the single supplement is cheaper than the price of the therapy I would need after sailing with a cabin mate from hell.

It's rare to fine a reduced single supplement on any ship unless a voyage is selling very, very poorly. If there was no single supplement absolutely nothing would keep a couple from booking individual cabins for the extra storage space and extra bathroom. Then fares would skyrocket because the business model is based on two people per cabin and two people spending on board.

Since many cruise ships now rightly or wrongly ban balcony smoking you might consider an inside cabin to minimize costs. Regardless of the cabin grade you would have to slip into something decent and go to the designated outdoor smoking area if you needed a cigarette at night. The location is something to consider when choosing your cabin.

Newest ships on most of the big lines have now included some (not very many) cabins specifically for singles at a better rate than previous normal cabin rates on those lines. And, some lines have plans to convert some cabins on older ships to "singles" cabins with lower rates due to an increasing demand from single cruisers. The media I've read says those new single cabins go super fast since there is a higher demand. I've not seen one yet listed, but then I don't think I've been searching for any of those newest ships yet either -- since most of those generally wind up in the Caribbean and I've not been interested in trips there, been there, done that.

So, if you do search a line's site, research their newest ship. (The smoking will still be a problem, and since I'm a non-smoker that makes me happier.) Good luck.

From one solo cruiser to another: HAL considers a Lanai in the ocean view category, often with only a 60% SS. If you are willing to gamble that you MAY end up smoking in the designated areas only, booking a Lanai guarantee could result in an upgrade or paid upsell to a balcony, well below the going double rate, as happened on my last cruise.

That's good info on the lanai cabins.