Talent shows on Celebrity

tamariadawn

Princess had a passenger talent show during each of our 5 cruises with them in the 00s.

Does celebrity have talent shows? Does celebrity have karaoke? We are sailing on the Infinity next month. I sing. Usually one must audition for the shows on Princess.

I'll say sometimes.

I'm a singer too, but I would never participate in a cruise ship's talent show. That's just me. Here's why: I go on the ship and I get off the ship and no one ever knows and that's just perfect. The talent shows on board that I have attended have been full of people with marginal talent who were fabulous in their own eyes. You know what I mean? And those who COULD actually sing (or play the piano, whatever) were sometimes so egocentric that it was painful to watch. But....on the other hand, it *is* entertaining. Particularly the bad ones. :D

On any given ship I imagine there are quite a few passengers who have a history of music somewhere along the line. Most of them never enter the shows. I'm not trying to discourage you from entering, really I'm not, just letting you know what to expect. I hope you find a venue and have a whole lot of fun.

I remember one guy on a ship had a pretty good voice, but seemed so disappointed that the cruise director didn't immediately sign him up as a headliner in the theatre. Really! He wanted to do "a little number" one night on the big stage to open the night's feature. Seriously! I actually heard that conversation. He had packed his own music and trax and everything. THAT was funny.

There are often passenger choirs and I've been in two of those. Great fun. I encourage all singers of all types to check those out. Of course they're also the place where those who think they're fabulous in their own eyes show up and try to sing louder than everyone else. They're a lot of fun and most people who come seem to be regular folk who can sing and just want to hang around for an hour or so with some other like-minded people. Usually the performance is at said talent show or in the atrium on formal night. I'll join those (there is no audition) any time. Sometimes people show up on the first day and after going through the sheet music they don't show up the second day. It's pretty loose, we're on vacation. Sometimes three of us end up in one of the elevators together and we break out into "our" song. :p Silly.Adults.On.Vacation.

I've never done karaoke on the ship but there is that available. Location varies. Been to that too. The "bad" ones are great fun to watch. They know they're bad. Best entertainment ever. The "good" ones sometimes are on an ego trip and seem oblivious to the eye-rolls. You know, just like karaoke on land.

There may be a talent show audition per se, but I believe it's more of a "let's see what you're planning" rather than an actual audition. This is not American Idol or your local symphony chorus audition. The staff wants the whole thing to be FUN and not a venue to showcase someone who wants to further their music career or who wants to do blue comedy in the afternoon in front of the kids, you know?

OK and there's one more reason I won't enter a talent show or participate in something that will showcase ME. On our very first Celebrity cruise in 2001, it was our 25th anniversary and we brought along our college aged daughters. Fabulous cruise. One night the pre dinner show was going to be a surprise. Turned out it was The Newlywed Game. We were up in the balcony, safe from the cruise director's eyes. He wants a couple newly married. Got 'em. Married yesterday. Then 10 years. Boom. Then 25 years.

Uh oh. That VERY DAY was our 25th anniversary. I can't make this up. We scrunch down in our seats (the DH and me) Our precious oldest daughter stands up proud and tall in the balcony and in her very loudest stage voice (she's a singer too) declares that her parents have their 25th anniversary.... TODAY! (this is why you should never bring your daughters on a cruise ship). Applause, applause. Oh no. OH NO!!!

Then the older couple. OK so we're on the stage. Do the deal. Embarrass the daughters with the answers we give (they asked for it!) Win the show. And for the next week the whole thing is looped over and over on the tvs in the staterooms and in the main theatre. OMG. We couldn't walk down the street in St. Thomas without someone calling out to us some answer we gave on the show. Never.Again.

Every cruise we have been on with Celebrity,

that has a "talent" show, we've attended.

Believe it or, not, we have seen some great talent at those shows...

I remember once a mom, and, son team, he on guitar, she on piano, sang

together, "Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me".

To this day, I have that Gladys Knight song on my computer,and,

I listen to it often.

Those 2 were as good as Gladys Knight and, her group (the Pips),

when they recorded that song.

I wish the cruise lines had more of these shows aboard. :)