Bremerton/Seattle to Vancouver/Canadian Place

flatlander321

We are booked on the Carnival Legend leaving Vancouver May 16 (Monday) next year. I'd like a sanity check from those who know the Seattle/Vancouver area.

We are planning to fly into Seattle (SEATAC) the day before on Southwest and pick-up a reserved (Hertz) rental car at the airport. This way any last-minute airport delays don't cause us to miss the cruise.

We plan to stay at the Fairfield hotel in Bremerton that night. It's a great deal using saved hotel reward points. The same hotel in Seattle or Vancouver would be 3X the number of reward points.

I'm saving the extra hotel points so we can have 3 nights in Seattle for seeing the sights after the cruise ends (in Seattle). 4 hotel nights and 8 ship nights should make for a nice vacation.

We can use the ferry to get from Seattle to Bremerton or drive the long way around South.

I'm thinking of driving the long way Sunday afternoon just to see the area and take the ferry Monday morning on the way to Vancouver. How busy is this ferry on a workday morning?

In Vancouver, I'm planning to drive to the airport to return the rental car then take a taxi directly to the cruise port. We'll stop to eat an early, basic lunch sometime before returning the car.

The cruise ship says they load people from 1:30-3:00pm for a 4pm departure.

When should we plan to leave Bremerton to make the cruise port without being rushed?

This is our first cruise. I have done some business travel, but have not been through the Vancouver airport, cruise port, or Canada border crossing via car. We will all have passports.

We are booked on the Carnival Legend leaving Vancouver May 16 (Monday) next year. I'd like a sanity check from those who know the Seattle/Vancouver area.

We are planning to fly into Seattle (SEATAC) the day before on Southwest and pick-up a reserved (Hertz) rental car at the airport. This way any last-minute airport delays don't cause us to miss the cruise.

We plan to stay at the Fairfield hotel in Bremerton that night. It's a great deal using saved hotel reward points. The same hotel in Seattle or Vancouver would be 3X the number of reward points.

I'm saving the extra hotel points so we can have 3 nights in Seattle for seeing the sights after the cruise ends (in Seattle). 4 hotel nights and 8 ship nights should make for a nice vacation.

We can use the ferry to get from Seattle to Bremerton or drive the long way around South.

I'm thinking of driving the long way Sunday afternoon just to see the area and take the ferry Monday morning on the way to Vancouver. How busy is this ferry on a workday morning?

In Vancouver, I'm planning to drive to the airport to return the rental car then take a taxi directly to the cruise port. We'll stop to eat an early, basic lunch sometime before returning the car.

The cruise ship says they load people from 1:30-3:00pm for a 4pm departure.

When should we plan to leave Bremerton to make the cruise port without being rushed?

This is our first cruise. I have done some business travel, but have not been through the Vancouver airport, cruise port, or Canada border crossing via car. We will all have passports.

First of all check with the rental as to whether you can take it across the border . The surcharge might be high to do that . US rental cars can't be re rented in Canada(BC)due to insurance requirements. Does the rental company have an agent in Canada . Not all US companies have agents in Canada.

The ferry will be busy on Monday morning with commuters going to Seattle for work. Have you check the reward level for hotels on the highway between Seattle and the border .

I wouldn't count on getting to Canada Place from Bremerton on your cruise day . Seattle to Canada Place is 4 hours .

Another vote to skip the Bremerton hotel pre-cruise with the 4 hour drive to Vancouver....

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Fairfield+Inn+%26+Suites+Seattle+Bremerton,+239+4th+St,+Bremerton,+WA+98337/Vancouver+International+Airport,+Grant+McConachie+Way,+Richmond,+BC/@48.2547763,-123.8590116,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x549037789b2366e9:0x13c152f7c9f1b98e!2m2!1d-122.625104!2d47.565494!1m5!1m1!1s0x54860b348627a39b:0xba68ccac86348084!2m2!1d-123.1815123!2d49.1966913

Vancouver offers hotels for all budgets. While cruise terminal hotels are premium priced.... you can get reasonable rates in Richmond airport hotels with a rental car or staying at hotels a few blocks from the cruise terminal (eg Blue Horizon and Hampton downtown).

There's also a $50 shuttle from Seattle airport that takes you into downtown Vancouver to skip the car rental.

Another vote to skip the Bremerton hotel pre-cruise with the 4 hour drive to Vancouver....

Vancouver offers hotels for all budgets. While cruise terminal hotels are premium priced.... you can get reasonable rates in Richmond airport hotels with a rental car or staying at hotels a few blocks from the cruise terminal (eg Blue Horizon and Hampton downtown).

There's also a $50 shuttle from Seattle airport that takes you into downtown Vancouver to skip the car rental.

That is probably the easiest and most hassle-free way to do it, especially if you have only one or two people.

No picking up or returning or refueling a rental car involved.

No need to stay awake and alert to drive.

The Quick Coach (Quick Shuttle) picks you up right at the Seatac airport terminal.

It will drop you off at the Canada Place cruise port or at any of a number of downtown Vancouver hotels.

See www.quickcoach.com

You should be able to pick up a good price for a nice Vancouver hotel on Priceline or other discount site.

If you want to rent a car and drive yourselves, there are usually reasonably priced rental cars from Seatac airport that do not charge an extra fee to drop the car off in Vancouver, Canada.

Several of the major rental car companies maintain fleets of rental cars that regularly go back and forth between Seattle and Vancouver, Canada.

(Be sure to specify Vancouver BC because there is also a Vancouver in Washington State, of which some people are unaware.)

I would skip Bremerton. I would try to find a hotel near airport and then do the shuttle to Vancouver. No use tiring yourself out after flying in or on your way to the ship.

Or stay in Vancouver - hotels can be reasonable with Priceline or Hotwire. This way you will see Vancouver also.

Edited by Coral

Thanks for the info. Bremerton sounds like too much risk. This is supposed to be enjoyable, not rushing to get to the ship. We'll stay at a Vancouver hotel for the first night then a few nights in Bremerton after the cruise.

Both Avis and Hertz allow picking up a car at the Seattle airport and returning it to the Vancouver, Canada airport. It was more expensive at roughly $200 per day.

Thanks for the info. Bremerton sounds like too much risk. This is supposed to be enjoyable, not rushing to get to the ship. We'll stay at a Vancouver hotel for the first night then a few nights in Bremerton after the cruise.

Both Avis and Hertz allow picking up a car at the Seattle airport and returning it to the Vancouver, Canada airport. It was more expensive at roughly $200 per day.

For that price . I would check the cost of flying between seattle and Vancouver.

For $200 per day you can almost fly both ways.

I'll look into flying SEA to YVR, but there are 3 adults and 2 larger checked bags to consider. I'll look into shuttle/train options to Vancouver as well. I suspect having the rental car for 24 hours will be close to the lowest cost. It's also has the most freedom to explore on Sunday and early Monday.

If you do go the Bremerton route, consider bridge tolls: the Tacoma Narrows bridge electronically charges a toll eastbound ($6, I think) which could be tricky in a rental car. Tolls are not charged westbound. I think you could set up a GoodToGo account and simply

I know you're probably skipping the Bremerton option, but just thought I'd add this tidbit.

You are way underestimating time with your Bremerton idea. I suggest you instead, look at staying in Bellingham- which your hotel points may be lower there as well.

After learning of the risks and time needed to drive from Bremerton the day of the cruise, we're definitely staying in a Vancouver hotel the night before. That's the low risk, low stress way to start the cruise.

I'll pay for the first night and save the hotel points for 4 nights in Bremerton. Half of what we want to see and do is on the west side of the Seattle bay. The Bremerton hotel actually works out fairly well for location and the low points cost is a nice bonus. For the Seattle-side site seeing, we'll take the ferry.

After learning of the risks and time needed to drive from Bremerton the day of the cruise, we're definitely staying in a Vancouver hotel the night before. That's the low risk, low stress way to start the cruise.

I'll pay for the first night and save the hotel points for 4 nights in Bremerton. Half of what we want to see and do is on the west side of the Seattle bay. The Bremerton hotel actually works out fairly well for location and the low points cost is a nice bonus. For the Seattle-side site seeing, we'll take the ferry.

FWIW there is a Hertz dropoff about five blocks from the Canada Place cruise terminal.

We always pick up a rental car (Herz or Avis) at SEATAC, spend the night in Seattle at the Holiday Inn Express (a few blocks from the SEATAC airport), drive to Vancouver the day before the cruise, check into the Fairmont Hotel (across the street from the terminal (room price $157/night through our TA), drop off the rental car (five blocks to the Hertz office), walk back to the Fairmont, spend the night, and bellhops will help bring your luggage across the street to the Canada Place Terminal on cruise day.

Unfortunately, the Hertz office near the cruise terminal is for drop off only. To return to Seattle, it requires a trip to the airport Rental Car Office (taxi fare we paid was $40 which included the tip). Longest US border delay we experienced has been 20 minutes on non-holiday weekends.

This has always worked for us.

Edited by Crew News

FWIW there is a Hertz dropoff about five blocks from the Canada Place cruise terminal.

Unfortunately, the Hertz office near the cruise terminal is for drop off only. To return to Seattle, it requires a trip to the airport Rental Car Office (taxi fare we paid was $40 which included the tip). Longest US border delay we experienced has been 20 minutes on non-holiday weekends.

Really? I watched my cousin pick up a Hertz car at the Pacific Rim office near the cruise terminal August last year. They had it for 4 days before dropping it off at YVR.

Really? I watched my cousin pick up a Hertz car at the Pacific Rim office near the cruise terminal August last year. They had it for 4 days before dropping it off at YVR.

My research shows that Fairmont Pacific Rim Hertz location does not service one-way returns to/from USA.

Here is the address for the Hertz drop-off nearest Canada Place:

270 Granville Street

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6Z1M4

Phone: (604) 606-4711

Hours of Operation: Mo-Su 0800-1200 1300-1600

Location Type: Corporate

Here is the address for the Hertz drop-off nearest Canada Place:

270 Granville Street

I think you have a typo... could not find a Hertz office at your address, but I did find an office much further away at 1270 Granville. Edited by xlxo

If you do go the Bremerton route, consider bridge tolls: the Tacoma Narrows bridge electronically charges a toll eastbound ($6, I think) which could be tricky in a rental car. Tolls are not charged westbound. I think you could set up a GoodToGo account and simply

I know you're probably skipping the Bremerton option, but just thought I'd add this tidbit.

The Tacoma narrows bridge has a toll both, 6 dollars both ways.

After your cruise, the naval museum about the Bremerton shipyard and north on hwy3 is the undersea museum in Keyport.

Go north to Port Angeles, Olympic National park.

Go south to Mt St Helens.

The ferry to seattle is free eastbound (except for car).

they charge for westbound (wadot)

Bremerton is a good spot for staying at. Traffic is alot better (watch for shipyard traffic to/from.

Have a great time.

I live in Gig Harbor Wa.

I think you are wise to skip Bremerton prior to the cruise.

As BQ suggested, Bellingham would be a convenient stopping point that night, or you can find good deals around the Vancouver Airport, or Richmond.

Since you have time to research, look at some scenic options for the drive after the cruise, ie.

1. drive across the border then take hwy20 near Mt Vernon, and drive over the Deception Pass bridge onto Whidbey Island. Drive the length of the island ....beaches, farms, wineries, naval air station. If you're a history buff, visit Fort Casey to see the lighthouse and artillery: http://www.parks.wa.gov/505/Fort-Casey Or visit Fort Ebey. Then take the ferry (20 minute ride) to Mukilteo about an hour north of Seattle. Maybe stop by the Boeing plant for a tour.

2. take the ferry to Victoria then visit Buchart Gardens and explore for the day. Overnight, then take the ferry to Port Angeles WA on the Olympic Peninsula. Visit Victorian homes in Port Townsend, check out lighthouses, and drive around the sound to Seattle.

The hotel for the night before the cruise in Vancouver is booked, non-refundable, and paid in full (North Vancouver Holiday Inn). I'm looking to see if Alamo is a reasonable car rental option to get from SEA to the Vancouver hotel then drop-off at Canada Place the next day to board the cruise ship. I know Alamo has a drop point there, but I've always used Hertz or Avis for rental cars.

Ive started looking into the Seattle area things to do. The cruise ship will return early Tues. morning in Seattle and a (yet to be booked) Southwest flight will leave SEA, taking us home, the following Saturday around noon.

That gives roughly 3-1/2 days for sight seeing in the area. We'll spend at least a day doing the space needle, underground walking tour, aquarium, harbor tour, and other touristy things in that area. We'll likely get a Seattle CityPass for 3 and use all of the tickets. I saw there was a Destroyer floating museum in the Bremerton area. I've been to the USS Texas battleship museum and that one sounded interesting. I will, if the weather cooperates, do a full day of scenic driving around one of the area mountain ranges or coastal area because that is something I like to do. One of my group will likely join me for a day's drive and the other will likely rest up at the hotel after exploring Seattle the previous day.

Edited by flatlander321

The hotel for the night before the cruise in Vancouver is booked, non-refundable, and paid in full (North Vancouver Holiday Inn). I'm looking to see if Alamo is a reasonable car rental option to get from SEA to the Vancouver hotel then drop-off at Canada Place the next day to board the cruise ship. I know Alamo has a drop point there, but I've always used Hertz or Avis for rental cars.

Unless it has changed, the Alamo desk in Canada Place is not open on the weekends. I would double check to verify for your proposed drop-off.