What kind of problems at Charleston for the Feb 6th sailing of Ecstasy?

dulcimergirl

I've read that the ship won't leave until 10:00 pm, but nothing else. I'd like to know when to arrive at the port, I don't want to do that after dark. Is it really going to be a problem? I do feel like we're being cheated out of half a day on board ship. Anybody have any clue's what will happen?

The problem is Charleston can only accommodate one ship at a time. I believe Fantasy disembarks passengers that morning before repositioning to Miami. This means Ecstasy cannot dock until Fantasy has left, hence why boarding and sail away for Ecstasy are later than normal. Nothing really to be done about it.

I've read that the ship won't leave until 10:00 pm, but nothing else. I'd like to know when to arrive at the port, I don't want to do that after dark. Is it really going to be a problem? I do feel like we're being cheated out of half a day on board ship. Anybody have any clue's what will happen?

What time are they telling you to board?

Does anybody know what time we can board that day? I haven't heard. Also, I was wondering how the itinerary can stay the same if we leave 5 hours late.

They can make up time by increasing the speed the first night. They usually stay below 10 knots the first night because they have a full sea day the next day.

Why do you feel you need to get there after dark?

They don't want to get there after dark. The problem is they cannot get into the port area until the afternoon after one ship finishes disembarking and departs so that the Ecstasy can dock. Then the check in for the Ecstasy will take place. It starts getting dark early in the afternoon during winter, so it might be dark by the time people can start getting parked and checked in for their cruise.

On a regular day, Fantasy would be done disembarking by 11 or 12 at the latest. My guess would be they will be sailing as soon as they finish to make room for the Ecstasy. Once docked, they should be ready to begin boarding fairly quickly. I'm sure once it gets closer Carnival will give some guidance on when to arrive.

Does anybody know what time we can board that day? I haven't heard. Also, I was wondering how the itinerary can stay the same if we leave 5 hours late.

Less traffic when they leave later! Ships do not sail with the gas pedal to the metal, so they can adjust their speed and plan for arrival at the next port.

When I printed my Edocs it says boarding times are 4:30pm to 9pm. Heck we could be boarding by 2 or 3 pm.

I live about 15 minutes from the port and have done the Fantasy several times. Although the process seems daunting the first time, it does go smoothly if you just go with flow.

I think the Fantasy will be gone by 1pm at the latest as they are not taking on passengers and no crew are getting (or very few). So once the last passenger has left they will leave, headed to Miami. As soon as they are gone the Ecstasy is supposed to dock, most likely no later than 2-3pm.

I would think you could start dropping off checked luggage by noon or 1pm (maybe even earlier), and get in line to park no later than 3pm. Parking should start at least 30 minutes to an hour before boarding time. She may dock earlier if the Fantasy leaves earlier and then we could be boarding earlier thus moving up parking times....

Early Feb. it will get dark around 6ish so you should have plenty of time to get parked and onboard before it's dark.

I'm more concerned with them requiring us to do a full lifeboat drill at 9:30pm in Feb. It's gonna be chilly that far up on the water!

I'm more concerned with them requiring us to do a full lifeboat drill at 9:30pm in Feb. It's gonna be chilly that far up on the water!

Same thing I was thinking: What about the muster drill? It's often quite chilly in Charleston at night in February. :confused:

Same thing I was thinking: What about the muster drill? It's often quite chilly in Charleston at night in February. :confused:

Yep, if it's gonna be cold in Charleston Feb. is usually the month for it. Many years Feb. is the only month we get a 30 degree (F) night. This past winter was an exception but it seemed everyone had a brutal winter! Maybe they will let us all stay indoors.

One other note about traffic, it being a Sat. we won't have to deal with 5 o'clock business traffic or school traffic.

Edited by bobsfamily

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10pm departure???!!! I am liable to be inebriated by then and miss the whole thing.

Sadly the muster drill most likely will before we leave after the 9pm deadline to be aboard. AND they will find everyone before it ends... could be a bumpy start to the cruise.

I sure hope they wait til the next morning! I guess we will know once onboard and read the "Fun Times".

They have 24 hours to complete the muster drill, so they could wait and do it the following morning. Not likely though.

The "within 24 hours of departure" rule went down with the Costa Concordia. IMO now requires muster to be held prior to departure.

It shouldn't get dark until at least 5:30 or 6:00. I would think they would be able to accommodate arrivals by that time if they plan to sail away at 10:00 PM. Does that seem right?

Our boarding documents state that embarkation is from 4:30 til 9pm... it does not state a time that the ship leaves the port. 10pm has been the time tossed around and I think it's what Carnival is shooting for but if a muster drill has to happen prior to us leaving and some people don't get on til 9 then it's going to be close... and I sure hope we don't have to go outside!

Weather.com says sunset will be at 5:56 on the 6th but in reality it will be light for another 20-30 minutes and up on the Lido longer than that.

Bunkering may be an issue also, for both ships depending on how much they need. This may cause the Fantasy to leave late, even though everything else is done. On my last cruise, I'm not sure what time they started, but they weren't finished until around 3:30 pm.

This is one of those scenarios where I think Carnival should provide OBC for the late embarkation. If you think about it you're basically losing the entire first day if you can't board before 4:30pm. The first day is part of what they advertise and is included in what you're paying for. So if it's a 3 day cruise then the first day is a half a day if you board around noon, plus the 2 days in between, then the final half day which is debarkation where you can eat breakfast and remain on the ship until around 10am. Technically that example is still not 3 full days but it's close and understandable. But if the earliest you're allowed to board is 4:30 that's not close enough to 3 total days onboard. I'm sure Carnival's lawyers see it another way and probably count just 1 minute as part of the "day", but it doesn't align with the spirit of what they are advertising.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

This is one of those scenarios where I think Carnival should provide OBC for the late embarkation. If you think about it you're basically losing the entire first day if you can't board before 4:30pm. The first day is part of what they advertise and is included in what you're paying for. So if it's a 3 day cruise then the first day is a half a day if you board around noon, plus the 2 days in between, then the final half day which is debarkation where you can eat breakfast and remain on the ship until around 10am. Technically that example is still not 3 full days but it's close and understandable. But if the earliest you're allowed to board is 4:30 that's not close enough to 3 total days onboard. I'm sure Carnival's lawyers see it another way and probably count just 1 minute as part of the "day", but it doesn't align with the spirit of what they are advertising.

When I booked the cruise(back last June) I knew the departure time.... soooo what would I expect? I booked knowing what the deal was. Many cruisers don't get on a ship til almost 2, I plan on being on around 3ish, no later than 4:30. A couple of hours...

Edited by bobsfamily

• 2 weeks later...