Someone Explain Oceania Pricing

RedneckBob

Hi y'all, Redneck Bob hear:

Will someone explain Oceania pricing too me.

Me and my DW, Thelma, are booked on an Oceania cruise, Riviera, 10 day Caribbean out of Miami, sales 12/12/15. We booked an Oceania View Cabin ©; excluding airfare was $2,549/person. Oceania included free internet, prepaid tips and a $200 cabin credit.

On Monday I received an email from one of those TA internet companies and in the email was a special on Oceania for our sailing. I could book a Balcony Cabin (B) exclude airfare for $1,549/person plus the other freebees.

I went to the Oceania website and our cruise was listed with the original pricing. What the heck is going on. This TA has discounted the fare by 47%. Even the suites were discounted up to 15%.

Maybe it because almost every cabin catergory is still available; but why hasn't Oceania discounted the fare on their website.

That just dont make sense !

Maybe the TA is cutting their commission to get more bookings or they could have a deal for a group sale

Florida Resident rate ??

You could always ask the TA why they can offer a lower price

Edited by LHT28

Oceania does not allow discounting per se. However, TA's can create groups and get special group rates with amenities. When the group is created these rates are locked in. So if the rates goes up to the general public because the ship is filling up the group rates stay at their contracted rates.

I understand what y'all are saying, but it still makes no sense.

Once I saw the fares discounted up to 47% for balcony cabins I called my TA who I had been using for years. The TA he worked for had no discounts; just the same rates as shown on Oceania website. The TA then said he would call Oceania and find out whats going on.

Bottom line the TA got me the special deal; 47% less than what is shown on Oceanias website even though the company the TA worked with had NO DISCOUNTS !

Bottom line the TA got me the special deal; 47% less than what is shown on Oceanias website even though the company the TA worked with had NO DISCOUNTS !

Your TA was able to get that rate, even though he was not affiliated with the Internet Travel Agency, because that Agency advertised the rate publicly, which "resets" the rules.

Otherwise, with apologies to lady TA's, it's an old boys network-

-and that goes for every Cruise Line, Hotel and Travel Company across the board. Airlines have their own individual insanity going on.

Edited by StanandJim

Hi y'all, Redneck Bob hear:

Will someone explain Oceania pricing too me.

Me and my DW, Thelma, are booked on an Oceania cruise, Riviera, 10 day Caribbean out of Miami, sales 12/12/15. We booked an Oceania View Cabin ©; excluding airfare was $2,549/person. Oceania included free internet, prepaid tips and a $200 cabin credit.

On Monday I received an email from one of those TA internet companies and in the email was a special on Oceania for our sailing. I could book a Balcony Cabin (B) exclude airfare for $1,549/person plus the other freebees.

I went to the Oceania website and our cruise was listed with the original pricing. What the heck is going on. This TA has discounted the fare by 47%. Even the suites were discounted up to 15%.

Maybe it because almost every cabin catergory is still available; but why hasn't Oceania discounted the fare on their website.

That just dont make sense !

thats a huge difference ... thank you for sharing ... filing that info away for future reference

thats a huge difference ... thank you for sharing ... filing that info away for future reference

I agree. I just received possibly the same deal from an on line TA.

We have cruised for a long time and receive special cruise deals from all cruise lines on a weekly basis. Been sailing on Oceania only three years.

I have never seen this kind of deal on an Oceania cruise; almost 50% off the discount fares on the Oceania website for B category cabins.

I like to know what is going on with Oceania pricing !

Today I received two emails; one from Oceania and one from an internet TA.

Oceania's email; last chance, don't miss this great offer, price includes airfare, prepaid tips, free internet, $200 cabin credit. Barcelona to Miami. Departs Nov15. Prices for Verandah's start at $4,299 per person.

TA email; exact same offer, prices start at $2,999 per person.

Are you kidding me !

If that's the way that you feel, don't EVER discuss fares on an airplane, or rates in a hotel with your fellow travelers, because travel pricing just is, what travel pricing is. :cool: Oceania is not alone in playing "the game".

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Oceania's predecessor, Renaissance Cruises tried to buck the system and play Fair-Fare across the board.

It was an unmitigated disaster for them. :eek:

213002.jpg

This is their fleet, laid up after they ceased trading...

Out of that sad chapter, Oceania was born.

Sometimes, we have to be careful what we wish for.

Edited by StanandJim

Oceania's email; last chance, don't miss this great offer, price includes airfare, prepaid tips, free internet, $200 cabin credit. Barcelona to Miami. Departs Nov15. Prices for Verandah's start at $4,299 per person.

Are you kidding me !

Many on line TA's quote prices after taking into account the air credit, which reflects some of the price difference. Is the TA email offer also for a verandah cabin?

If that's the way that you feel, don't EVER discuss fares on an airplane, or rates in a hotel with your fellow travelers, because travel pricing just is, what travel pricing is. :cool: Oceania is not alone in playing "the game".

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Oceania's predecessor, Renaissance Cruises tried to buck the system and play Fair-Fare across the board.

It was an unmitigated disaster for them. :eek:

213002.jpg

This is their fleet, laid up after they ceased trading...

Out of that sad chapter, Oceania was born.

Sometimes, we have to be careful what we wish for.

Is there a lesson for Oeania somewhere in there as well?

Are you kidding me !

it could be the TA is advertising the starting price for the cruise EG inside cabin

Where O is saying the price for a veranda

Nov 18th

inside is $3499

B4 $4499

maybe the TA have a group discount that would lower it also

The following is Oceania's official policy for all travel agents selling their product:

No travel agency or company may advertise or promote to the general public Oceania Cruises products online (including on websites with restricted/ membership-only access), in print, or by any other means, at a price or percentage off which is less than the published price of the Oceania Cruises' product at that time, nor may they state or imply that an unspecified price or percentage off the published prices is available. Published price is defined as that which appears on the Oceania Cruises website.

Theoretically, any agency caught violating this policy will have "remedial action" taken against it.

Many on line TA's quote prices after taking into account the air credit, which reflects some of the price difference. Is the TA email offer also for a verandah cabin?

I quoted the wrong price.

Oceania price included airfare for a "B" category Verandah Cabin starting at $4,499 per person.

My TA price included airfare for a "B" category Verandah Cabin starting at $2,999 per person

A savings of $1,500 per person !

The following is Oceania's official policy for all travel agents selling their product:

No travel agency or company may advertise or promote to the general public Oceania Cruises products online (including on websites with restricted/ membership-only access), in print, or by any other means, at a price or percentage off which is less than the published price of the Oceania Cruises' product at that time, nor may they state or imply that an unspecified price or percentage off the published prices is available. Published price is defined as that which appears on the Oceania Cruises website.

Theoretically, any agency caught violating this policy will have "remedial action" taken against it.

I guess Oceania does not enforce it's policy or wants the public to think that there is no better price than what is on their website.

Bottom line: I receive monthly specials from on line TA's for Oceania cruises discounted up to 50% of what is on Oceania's website.

Amazing that this is still going on!!!

So many people want to give their expert opinions when they have nothing but conjecture to add--

This is NOT the first time that this company has been used by O to fill cabins---

I have watched several other times but this was the first time that I DID book!

And yes,it is the correct price of the $2499 without air for a B3 extended balcony on the Riveria for 1-13-16--also the BETTER price was for $1599 without air for B on the 12-12-15 sailing--

The company that O gives this too expressly gives it to an online vacation agency BUT as my TA found out last week--any TA can get the same price!

FRANK

Amazing that this is still going on!!!

So many people want to give their expert opinions when they have nothing but conjecture to add--

This is NOT the first time that this company has been used by O to fill cabins---

I have watched several other times but this was the first time that I DID book!

And yes,it is the correct price of the $2499 without air for a B3 extended balcony on the Riveria for 1-13-16--also the BETTER price was for $1599 without air for B on the 12-12-15 sailing--

The company that O gives this too expressly gives it to an online vacation agency BUT as my TA found out last week--any TA can get the same price!

FRANK

That's exactly what happened to us and our TA who called Oceania direct to get the great deal.

PS: I grew up in Alabama. Are you Roll Tide or War Eagle? Be careful how y'all answer that question.

That's exactly what happened to us and our TA who called Oceania direct to get the great deal.

PS: I grew up in Alabama. Are you Roll Tide or War Eagle? Be careful how y'all answer that question.

WDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frank

Hear we go again !

I booked that special deal cruise that I talked about in my OP for $1549/person. Now yesterday I get another special deal for the same cruise; the price has now gone up $600; but is still 20% off the Oceania website price. This was the third time in the past two weeks I got special deal emails; on approximately 12 different cruises on Oceania. I read on a prior post that this was illegal to do.

It just dont make no sense to me !

Oceania seems to work in its own world. Last year we sailed 14 days from Papeete. Marina was full and we kept getting offers from O, through our TA to move to another cruise. Many offers were the repositioning cruises. We turned down 4 offers,

In 2 weeks, we are on Regatta and it is FULL! Again, same thing, Had 2 offers yesterday and 1 last week. Was tempted by the offer that would give us almost $2,000 pp back if we would move into an inside cabin on the cruise. Did not want an inside, so turned it down.

Never had this with other cruise lines. Interesting!:confused:

Oceania seems to work in its own world. Last year we sailed 14 days from Papeete. Marina was full and we kept getting offers from O, through our TA to move to another cruise. Many offers were the repositioning cruises. We turned down 4 offers,

In 2 weeks, we are on Regatta and it is FULL! Again, same thing, Had 2 offers yesterday and 1 last week. Was tempted by the offer that would give us almost $2,000 pp back if we would move into an inside cabin on the cruise. Did not want an inside, so turned it down.

Never had this with other cruise lines. Interesting!:confused:

you must choose popular sailings ;)

for some people the offers work out for others not so much

We are about to book a Med Cruise Next Summer. We live in Canada and got a rate from our TA. We are travelling with friends from the UK. Their rates are substantially better. Surprising. Just wondering if we are able to book with a UK TA. I have previously booked with agents in the US with no problem.

Any ideas as to the fare discrepancy?

We are about to book a Med Cruise Next Summer. We live in Canada and got a rate from our TA. We are travelling with friends from the UK. Their rates are substantially better. Surprising. Just wondering if we are able to book with a UK TA. I have previously booked with agents in the US with no problem.

Any ideas as to the fare discrepancy?

You may not get the same cancellation rules or perks as the US sites

They have different rules than North American TA's

I believe if you cancel before final payment you forfeit your deposit & must claim through ins

Someone will correct me if I am wrong

I have seen people mentioning on CC that they book through the UK agents... but do compare the fine print

If you book in GBP check the exchange rate & if your credit card charges the FTF (usually hidden in the fine print of your CC contract)

you might already have a card that does not charge a FTF :confused: