Beware Liberty OTS Canada/New England Sailing

Currently writing from onboard Liberty sailing its first itinerary to Canada and New Englad. A few words of caution for cruisers booked on subsequent sailings - prepare for significant overcrowding and poor service onboard the ship. Food and beverage outlets are overtaxed at peak times especially on at sea days resulting in people being turned away from dining venues and or finding random alternate locations to eat. Entertainment and activity venues are poorly planned requiring you to show up at least an hour before the show to avoid not having seats. To get anywhere on the ship you need to leave your stateroom 45 minutes early because of elevator crowding. Significantly long delays occurred during disembarking for the tender operation at Bar Harbor. Crew appears overwhelmed by this itinerary and the special needs it requires. Had to contact RCI corporate second day out for resolution. Initial follow up from onboard staff was good but issues still exist. Just a few words of warning!

Thank you. The steep decline in customer service is notable from my other cruises. This ship is simply too large for this itinerary based on the guest demographics.
What does this mean?

Thanks for asking Tamara. I don't see what guest demographics or itinerary has to do with any of the problems you encountered.

We did a b2b on Liberty in June which included a 5 day Bermuda Itinerary and a 9 day Caribbean itinerary and we had no problems. The crew and staff were absolutely wonderful and Customer Service was not a problem.

The problems that you have described above will be evident on almost any ship you go on not just Liberty.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks for asking Tamara. I don't see what guest demographics or itinerary has to do with any of the problems you encountered.

We did a b2b on Liberty in June which included a 5 day Bermuda Itinerary and a 9 day Caribbean itinerary and we had no problems. The crew and staff were absolutely wonderful and Customer Service was not a problem.

The problems that you have described above will be evident on almost any ship you go on not just Liberty.

Glad to hear of your positive experience Patti. We'll be on her later this fall:D

What does this mean?

I am guessing OP means the older clientele which makes up a large part of the demographic on some Canada/New England cruises. The wait for the elevators suggests this might be the case.

I don't see what guest demographics or itinerary has to do with any of the problems you encountered... The problems that you have described above will be evident on almost any ship you go on not just Liberty.

Exactly.

I must be missing something, but how does the itinerary affect this issue?

Actually, I've wondered that in general. Assuming most cruises sail full, how can the same amount of people on the same size ship create mass chaos on some sailing, and no problems at all on other sailings?

I'm on Liberty right now eating my lunch in my cabin (because that's how I prefer it), and I don't find the food, the service, the crowds, the staff service, to be any different than any other Royal C cruise. My cabin mini-fridge should be called a 'cooler', LOL, because nothing is remotely cold in it. It was checked and deemed to be working fine :rolleyes: My sink was plugged up and that got resolved toute suite! The steward must have said something, because I didn't.

There was a huge issue with gangways in Portland?, or was it Boston? There was only one to use to get back on to the ship. The line was horrendous and thank goodness I was already on the ship. It was the tide causing the problem so there wasn't much that the ship staff could do. There were 3 gangways in St. John, LOL. I noticed today, in Halifax, that the scooter and wheelchair folks are using a separate gangway. That makes things go a lot faster for the able-bodied.

What I like best of all is that being a Bell subscriber, my cellular iPad picks up Bell service here in the Canadian ports and I don't have to pay for Royal's expensive wifi service. Whoohoo!

I'm enjoying the cruise and finding everything to be acceptable. Certainly the staff is very pleasant and eager to make our cruise a good one. Lots of smiles and 'hellos' from them all. I've enjoyed my cruise and will be sad to leave, but upon arriving home, I'll have just 10 days to prepare to embark Jewel in Vancouver for the Panama Canal odyssey of cruises!!! Sorry for bragging :D

Sorry you're not enjoying your cruise as much as I am, hazlenjboy, but it is what one makes it to be. Enjoy what you can and make the most out of the rest.

:D

I was wondering if something was wrong with my reading comprehension skills. :confused: It just sounds like it was added to make it sound more credible.

Leaving your stateroom 45 minutes early to avoid elevator crowding? What, do you not want ANYONE in the elevator with you? Being turned away from dining venues at peak times? Turned away or asked to wait?

Maybe the OP is in a wheelchair and needs special seating and accommodations??? I'm really just baffled. :confused:

What does this mean?

It could also mean that the pool deck is underutilized. If the weather is bad, or the demographic is such that the pool deck is not being used much, I've seen many inside areas packed. All chairs and tables in Cafe Promenade occupied all day long. Over 100 people at triva. Etc.

We were on a sold-out cruise on Liberty last week. We only had one issue with the elevators -- returning to the ship at the end of a shore day, when they were directing everyone to one elevator bank and one of the 4 elevators was out of order. Other than that, we didn't wait much - our room was on 10, so we just took the stairs to WJ/specialty restaurants and the pools. No issues getting into shows, either but maybe it was just a different crowd that wasn't as interested in them.

We did think that the hours for the MDR for lunch on sea days were too short, and would have preferred it if the MDR and Chops opened earlier for breakfast. We ate at WJ more than we expected to because of that. I can see how -- if the demographic is skewing a bit older -- you'd have more demand for the MDR lunch vs. Windjammer.

I wonder if some of the issues at the ports are because this is the first Canadian cruise of the season. Maybe everything isn't up and running as it should.

I must be missing something, but how does the itinerary affect this issue?

Actually, I've wondered that in general. Assuming most cruises sail full, how can the same amount of people on the same size ship create mass chaos on some sailing, and no problems at all on other sailings?

The guest service manager explained it to me that of the 3800 or so onboard about 60% are over the age of 65 and nearly half had some sort of special needs. All opinions are welcome but that's a decidedly different "activity level" than the cruising demographics of a Caribbean itinerary. It tends to gum up the works because of slower movement. That being said the officers were pretty candid that was a large root cause and EOS crews had the benefit of experience with this itinerary which this crew doesn't. The ship itself is great and all are having a good time it's just resulting in some unchartered territory onboard.

I was wondering if something was wrong with my reading comprehension skills. :confused: It just sounds like it was added to make it sound more credible.

Leaving your stateroom 45 minutes early to avoid elevator crowding? What, do you not want ANYONE in the elevator with you? Being turned away from dining venues at peak times? Turned away or asked to wait?

Maybe the OP is in a wheelchair and needs special seating and accommodations??? I'm really just baffled. :confused:

Literally turned away. Being told that the dining room cannot except any more guests even though a good portion of time was left remaining for breakfast. The 45 minutes is to actually get an elevator going your direction which has space combined with wait times for events.

It could also mean that the pool deck is underutilized. If the weather is bad, or the demographic is such that the pool deck is not being used much, I've seen many inside areas packed. All chairs and tables in Cafe Promenade occupied all day long. Over 100 people at triva. Etc.

Exactly. Any pool chair you want. Second sea day was cold and windy. Standing room only at the art auction which was a first for me.

We were on a sold-out cruise on Liberty last week. We only had one issue with the elevators -- returning to the ship at the end of a shore day, when they were directing everyone to one elevator bank and one of the 4 elevators was out of order. Other than that, we didn't wait much - our room was on 10, so we just took the stairs to WJ/specialty restaurants and the pools. No issues getting into shows, either but maybe it was just a different crowd that wasn't as interested in them.

We did think that the hours for the MDR for lunch on sea days were too short, and would have preferred it if the MDR and Chops opened earlier for breakfast. We ate at WJ more than we expected to because of that. I can see how -- if the demographic is skewing a bit older -- you'd have more demand for the MDR lunch vs. Windjammer.

I wonder if some of the issues at the ports are because this is the first Canadian cruise of the season. Maybe everything isn't up and running as it should.

This is NOT Liberty's first Canada/New England sailing.

A few words of caution for cruisers booked on subsequent sailings - prepare for significant overcrowding and poor service onboard the ship. Food and beverage outlets are overtaxed at peak times especially on at sea days resulting in people being turned away from dining venues and or finding random alternate locations to eat. Entertainment and activity venues are poorly planned requiring you to show up at least an hour before the show to avoid not having seats. To get anywhere on the ship you need to leave your stateroom 45 minutes early because of elevator crowding. Significantly long delays occurred during disembarking for the tender operation at Bar Harbor. Crew appears overwhelmed by this itinerary and the special needs it requires. Had to contact RCI corporate second day out for resolution. Initial follow up from onboard staff was good but issues still exist. Just a few words of warning!

Are you sure this isn't a Quantum thread? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about these problems. I do hope the rest of your cruise goes well :)

Currently writing from onboard Liberty sailing its first itinerary to Canada and New Englad. A few words of caution for cruisers booked on subsequent sailings - prepare for significant overcrowding and poor service onboard the ship. Food and beverage outlets are overtaxed at peak times especially on at sea days resulting in people being turned away from dining venues and or finding random alternate locations to eat. Entertainment and activity venues are poorly planned requiring you to show up at least an hour before the show to avoid not having seats. To get anywhere on the ship you need to leave your stateroom 45 minutes early because of elevator crowding. Significantly long delays occurred during disembarking for the tender operation at Bar Harbor. Crew appears overwhelmed by this itinerary and the special needs it requires. Had to contact RCI corporate second day out for resolution. Initial follow up from onboard staff was good but issues still exist. Just a few words of warning!

Would you please give us more information on the red. What did you expect from corporate??

Edited by beachnative