OASIS - Windjammer Cafe

Happy Friday everyone!

I'd like to get opinions on how the food is at the WJ Cafe on Oasis? We are just regular, suburban people. We eat at some local places, but mostly chains (Long Horn, Chilis, Macaroni Grill, Red Lobster, Huey Luey's, etc.). We aren't hard to please. We don't eat a lot of Asian food, mainly because our daughter is such a picky eater.

Is the food ok or is it pretty good or really sucky? On our last cruise (and only cruise) on Carnival Dream, the buffet was HORRIBLE and we ate in the main dining room or pizza or burgers. We aren't too picky and can find most anything to eat, but it was really bad.....so you can imagine how horrible it REALLY was!

Thanks for your help!

Carla

Food is subjective; I'm sure you know this. One person will say it is absolutely awful, and I will come along and say that we have always been able to find something yummy on every cruise we've been on. Lately we have taken to eating dinner in the WJ and it has been wonderful.

The only thing we didn't like about Oasis WJ was that we found (and others here have said the same thing) it was too small for the size of ship and poorly laid out. Having said that, we enjoyed our meals there.

Have fun. :)

If you are easy to please and are fine with the restaurants you listed above, I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy it.

My friend wanted to just go to the windjammer for breakfast Lunch and Supper (dinner) every day.

I love the windjammer. Sure it's not 5-star food but it's all I can eat and no different than what I would eat at home.

Happy Friday everyone!

I'd like to get opinions on how the food is at the WJ Cafe on Oasis? We are just regular, suburban people. We eat at some local places, but mostly chains (Long Horn, Chilis, Macaroni Grill, Red Lobster, Huey Luey's, etc.). We aren't hard to please. We don't eat a lot of Asian food, mainly because our daughter is such a picky eater.

Is the food ok or is it pretty good or really sucky? On our last cruise (and only cruise) on Carnival Dream, the buffet was HORRIBLE and we ate in the main dining room or pizza or burgers. We aren't too picky and can find most anything to eat, but it was really bad.....so you can imagine how horrible it REALLY was!

Thanks for your help!

Carla

I sailed the Oasis last February, and found the food very good in the Windjammer. With that said, remember you are on a ship with 6,000 passengers, so the WJ can get pretty busy. The Oasis offers a lot of other free venues to eat at. Park Café offers free breakfast, sandwiches, salads and deserts, Sorrentos offers free pizza, The Solarium Bistro is free for breakfast and lunch (very nice!), free hots and sausages at the Doghouse on the Boardwalk, The Promenade Café has free sandwiches, coffee, deserts, The Wipe-Out Café near the basketball courts is also free and offers even fried eggs at breakfast, as does Johnny Rockets offers a free breakfast menu that offers fried eggs as a choice. So you see--you are not stuck with just the WJ and MDR as options! And free soft serve yogurt on the pool deck! We tried EVERY option and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise! My favorite place to be--Central Park on Deck 8. Loved unwinding there with cocktails amongst the twinkle lights in al the trees and (fake) cricket sounds! During the day--stop in for an afternoon coffee and treat! Enjoy!

The only thing we didn't like about Oasis WJ was that we found (and others here have said the same thing) it was too small for the size of ship and poorly laid out. Having said that, we enjoyed our meals there.

Have fun. :)

Agreed, I still remember on Allure, I got my food, but forgot one thing. That one thing was on a round island area. I walked up got what I needed as a lady came around the edge and told me I needed to get in line and wait my turn. Her and I were the only ones at that island. I asked her who put her in charge of deciding where the line started and ended on a round partition.

Thanks so much everyone! These are things I wanted to know. We are just regular folks and don't eat a 5-star venues, but wanted to have good buffet choices when we don't feel like dressing up for dinner. We are also going to splurge on Chops. So far, I've heard it is fantastic.

I'm not too worried about it being crowded, as I know it is a huge ship and expect it. The last cruise we took was really bad crowded.... all the time. We are going to try Park Cafe as our first meal on the ship! I've heard rave reviews about that roast beef sandwich!

For my 5 year old picky eater - does the buffet have chicken nuggets?

Please pardon my obsession with cruise food, or food in general. I am trying to lose 40 lbs before we go and am really craving yummy food! haaaa! Of course, I'll get on the ship and gain 10 of it back....but hey, you only live once, right? : )

Thanks so much everyone! These are things I wanted to know. We are just regular folks and don't eat a 5-star venues, but wanted to have good buffet choices when we don't feel like dressing up for dinner. We are also going to splurge on Chops. So far, I've heard it is fantastic.

I'm not too worried about it being crowded, as I know it is a huge ship and expect it. The last cruise we took was really bad crowded.... all the time. We are going to try Park Cafe as our first meal on the ship! I've heard rave reviews about that roast beef sandwich!

Please pardon my obsession with cruise food, or food in general. I am trying to lose 40 lbs before we go and am really craving yummy food! haaaa! Of course, I'll get on the ship and gain 10 of it back....but hey, you only live once, right? : )

No chicken nuggets. Also try the Wipeout Cafe for breakfast and lunch as well as Johnny Rocket's for breakfast. The made to order pizza at Sorento's doesn't get mentioned much. I'll bet your 5 year old will be fine.

Add me to the list of people that really enjoy the roast beef dip at the Park Cafe. Don't be surprised if it is really busy on your first day, as the seating area is not very big.

Your 5 year old picky eater will find plenty of things to eat on Oasis. Both in the buffet, and around the ship.

With respect to crowds. It is true that the WJ will get busy. However, after you are on board, you should get a feel for when the really busy times are, and just adjust your schedule a bit to avoid the huge crowds. Also, step one when you go to the WJ is to get a table. Whatever you do, do NOT all go into the buffet line and then wander around looking for a table with full plates ... surprising how many people do this ... :):rolleyes:

Add me to the list of people that really enjoy the roast beef dip at the Park Cafe. Don't be surprised if it is really busy on your first day, as the seating area is not very big.

Your 5 year old picky eater will find plenty of things to eat on Oasis. Both in the buffet, and around the ship.

With respect to crowds. It is true that the WJ will get busy. However, after you are on board, you should get a feel for when the really busy times are, and just adjust your schedule a bit to avoid the huge crowds. Also, step one when you go to the WJ is to get a table. Whatever you do, do NOT all go into the buffet line and then wander around looking for a table with full plates ... surprising how many people do this ... :):rolleyes:

Oh yes.... we learned our lesson the last cruise!!!! I will scope out the table, sit with our daughter and let the hubs go first. We want to avoid the buffet on embarkation day at all costs. : )

...wanted to have good buffet choices when we don't feel like dressing up for dinner....

You didn't say if you are specifically trying to avoid the MDR, but don't worry about the "Dressed up" part too much. I've seen people with shorts and sandals, ball caps, whatever. The reason I bring this up is they do have chicken nuggets on the kid's menu.

Myself, I've never had dinner in the windjammer, we prefer having a regular table and order off a menu to fighting the crowds. Breakfast and lunch there was good, though.

You didn't say if you are specifically trying to avoid the MDR, but don't worry about the "Dressed up" part too much. I've seen people with shorts and sandals, ball caps, whatever. The reason I bring this up is they do have chicken nuggets on the kid's menu.

Myself, I've never had dinner in the windjammer, we prefer having a regular table and order off a menu to fighting the crowds. Breakfast and lunch there was good, though.

No, we aren't trying to avoid the main dining room. Actually, we like it! We were just thinking about tired days after a shore excursion and that we could just grab something off the buffet. She will eat pizza, spaghetti, mac-n-cheese and Mexican. : )

I'm sorry, but whatever happened to breaking those picky eater habits before they completely take over?

Not trying to be rude, so please don't think that I am, but we live in a world where we have been blessed enough to be able to afford to vacation (especially those of us with kids) and have not been born into a 3rd world country where they barely get by on the same staples daily, so why not introduce her to some of the great pleasures that we have to eat and help her develop a sense of "thanks and respect" for the hard work that goes into the preparation of those meals for us.

As the majority of the cooks and chefs on the ships come from impoverished nations, I am sure they must be sickened by our over indulgence and lack and gratitiude for where we were born and the things we've been given.

Now, let the hating begin........lol.

I'm sorry' date=' but whatever happened to breaking those picky eater habits before they completely take over?

Not trying to be rude, so please don't think that I am, but we live in a world where we have been blessed enough to be able to afford to vacation (especially those of us with kids) and have not been born into a 3rd world country where they barely get by on the same staples daily, so why not introduce her to some of the great pleasures that we have to eat and help her develop a sense of "thanks and respect" for the hard work that goes into the preparation of those meals for us.

As the majority of the cooks and chefs on the ships come from impoverished nations, I am sure they must be sickened by our over indulgence and lack and gratitiude for where we were born and the things we've been given.

Now, let the hating begin........lol.[/quote']

Not trying to be rude, but I think the hating already started. Rather presumptuous to assume their income, country of origin and parenting style. She just asked about food on the buffet...lol.

I'm sorry' date=' but whatever happened to breaking those picky eater habits before they completely take over?

Now, let the hating begin........lol.[/quote']

I agree 100% with you. Parents let their kids get so picky it's rediculous. Our grand daughter will only eat chicken tenders the whole cruise. Drives me insane! Of course cookies and the like are permitted.

Not trying to be rude, but I think the hating already started. Rather presumptuous to assume their income, country of origin and parenting style. She just asked about food on the buffet...lol.

Actually, not hating at all, just stating that a "picky" 5 year old is only picky because we allow them to be and that a "I am going to put healthy, nutritious food onto your plate and you will eat it, or there will be no more vacations" works wonders to help them appreciate food, it's flavours and the hard work and sacrifice that not only went into making it, but also saying "Thank you" to mommy and daddy for the amazing experience and "Thank You" for caring enough about me to want me to eat healthy, that's all.

We ALL have things we don't like the taste of, don't get me wrong, but a child eating poorly only happens when it's allowed.

She will eat pizza, spaghetti, mac-n-cheese and Mexican. : )

She will be fine. I have seen all of those items at the buffet at the WJ at one point or another. Who knows? Maybe she will try something else while on board. ;)

chicken nuggets are available, and if you drop your kids off for the kids program at dinner time, the staff takes them to the windjammer and they woof down food in about 30 minutes. That is much preferred by the kids than the typical 2 hour meal in the dining room.

After 5 cruises with our kids, they eventually got sick of eating chicken nuggets and pizza every night and chose to eat different foods. our kids begged us to take them for the finger sandwiches on the promenade.

She will be fine. I have seen all of those items at the buffet at the WJ at one point or another. Who knows? Maybe she will try something else while on board. ;)

OH she will eat a little more than that (some of the things I cook that I can't find elsewhere), but those are the "typical" meal-type things she'll eat out.

She has sensory issues. I could have sworn I heard the Hallelujah Chorus the day she ate a banana!!!!! : )

Thanks for your help!

chicken nuggets are available, and if you drop your kids off for the kids program at dinner time, the staff takes them to the windjammer and they woof down food in about 30 minutes. That is much preferred by the kids than the typical 2 hour meal in the dining room.

After 5 cruises with our kids, they eventually got sick of eating chicken nuggets and pizza every night and chose to eat different foods. our kids begged us to take them for the finger sandwiches on the promenade.

OH that was another question! Are the sandwiches pretty good on the promenade? I love a good sandwich!

OH that was another question! Are the sandwiches pretty good on the promenade? I love a good sandwich!

Yes but they change them up. My kid got used to ham and cheese, but it wasn't always available and she didn't like the other options. Some have seafood. I love most of them, but a picky eater probably will not. That being said, they usually have multiple options, not just one.

Of course, this is all in addition to what is available at the Park Cafe.

Yes but they change them up. My kid got used to ham and cheese, but it wasn't always available and she didn't like the other options. Some have seafood. I love most of them, but a picky eater probably will not. That being said, they usually have multiple options, not just one.

Of course, this is all in addition to what is available at the Park Cafe.

I agree with snorkelman on the sandwiches. I liked the ham and cheese croissants they used to have, but they don't have them out as much any more ... they also have a large selection of sandwiches in the WJ quite often ... it is also possible to make to make your own from the assorted buns, breads, cold meats, cheese trays they have out ... don't be afraid to ask one of the staff if they could put together a specific type of sandwich for you ... nothing to lose ... quite often they will try

I agree with snorkelman on the sandwiches. I liked the ham and cheese croissants they used to have, but they don't have them out as much any more ... they also have a large selection of sandwiches in the WJ quite often ... it is also possible to make to make your own from the assorted buns, breads, cold meats, cheese trays they have out ... don't be afraid to ask one of the staff if they could put together a specific type of sandwich for you ... nothing to lose ... quite often they will try

Thanks so much Slopoke15! I didn't know you could make your own in the WJ! Excellent info! My hubby and I LOVE sandwiches, so I can't wait to try the various places. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn they have hot items on the room service menu!

We've had mixed experiences in Windjammer.

Get there early for smaller lines and better seating choices - it is a bit small for such a large ship.

HIGHLIGHTS at WINDJAMMER: The SEAFOOD PAELLA (only available on the first day) is marvelous. The TUTTI SALAD during lunch at sea - it is really good too. While the burgers were awful, the FRENCH FRIES were pretty good, if you get them hot.

AVOID THESE: The HAMBURGERS are greasy, tasteless disc of frozen beef.

If you go for breakfast be aware that the EGGS are some powdered or frozen and worse than tasteless, they have a bad aftertaste. The omelets are no longer made to order (go to Wipeout cafe for good omelets)

The good news is that the choices are plentiful, and you should be able to find something everyone likes.