Gem in February out of NYC?

bbryan5

There are good things & bad things about 10+ day cruises out of NYC area in winter.

The good includes the convenience & the value.

The "bad" includes the fact that the 1st & last days are not vacation-y per se because it's too cold to go outside. Sometimes you will see a hearty soul or two in the hot tubs but generally you are stuck indoors just like at home. For us, it eases us into vacation; we enjoy sleeping in that 1st morning & it's not such a shock to go back to the cold because it's a bit more gradual then stepping on to a plane in the warm Florida sun then back to the cold.

I think being on a cruise ship by definition is "vacation-y per se," even if I'm indoors. I will be fed by others, I won't have to do the dishes, I will be entertained, I can sit someplace and read or watch the ocean ... Sounds like a vacation to me! :)

We have done Bermuda in May twice and if you are a water person the water may be a bit chilly as it was for us. I have noticed being there in May and October it can be cooler than June - September, so for that reason we do not book Bermuda after the first week of September or before the the third week of June. If however you just sightsee that may be a wonderful time to be in Bermuda.

Otherwise I would pick the longer trip to the Caribbean if all other things are equal.

Sounds like you are talking about HAL's Noordam - we sailed her south out of New York in January 2007 and again in 2008. I recall the 2007 muster drill on deck with the wind howling down the Hudson. And that first night we ran through heavy seas - there was green water outside my window that first morning as we plowed through 30+ foot seas. It made getting into the Gulf Stream that afternoon feel like magic.

Too bad HAL gave up that itinerary.

Yes, you are correct. It was the Noordam. February 2007 and Christmas to New Years, 2007-2008. Heavy sees on the Christmas cruise when we left San Juan, heading back to NYC. The sea was so rough the stage show was cancelled. But that was only one night and all became calm once we were in the North Atlantic.

I'm upset HAL gave up that itinerary too. :(

Edited by Ms.Eva

I have done the 9 day and the 12 day. (Booked for the 10 day this Jan) On average you will be warm by 2nd day and with a little luck on first sea day, you're taking a brisk walk on deck while wearing jeans/work out pants and a light jacket/sweatshirt. On 1st day the hot tubs are in use! The exciting thing about the trip down is feeling it become warmer-the excitement of blue water and sandy beaches!

They are both lovely cruises and as exciting as the Breakaway is, the Gem is something special.

:)

Bbryant5 you don't say where you live but here's a word of advice I wish I had followed. Get to NY a day early just in case. We booked our flight for the morning of the cruise and immediately after I started to stress out. February and even March are still winter weather! You can so easily hit a snowstorm. And sure enough, all my worrying and stressing came true. A snowstorm hit the east coast during the night and we arrived at the airport to see cancelled and delayed all down the board for the east coast. But OMG the storm missed New York and closed down everything south of it! And we were on our way.

Previously I said that it did not warm up for our cruise until the 2nd sea day. I've seen that some of you have said you were sunbathing the 1st sea day so you must keep in mind that it can go either way at this time of year but you will still have an amazing time.

Our first night and first sea day were spent trying to walk upright as the ship was rolling! Stabilizers and all, the barf bags were out. Because we had to sail through that snowstorm which was south of NY and it was now hitting the Atlantic. The captain apologized repeatedly but what could he do. As he said...he could only turn the ship towards the waves for just so long since the waves were rolling out east and we needed to go south. The crew was so busy that night cleaning up the messes caused when the ship rolled. I felt so sorry for the dining room crew as we listened to the dishes crashing to the floor. And so many cabins with glasses broken on the floor. We could not get help until morning. We picked up what glass we could safely pick up and got the clever idea of laying out our luggage 'blanket' over the rest of the glass plus using towels as padding. We were worried about getting up in the night and standing on glass. It was a very interesting couple of days. But still stands out in our mind as one of our best cruises. 10 days is just so much better than 7. Enjoy!

And THAT is is why I take dramamine before we even board!!! Tho Im not certain it would help in those conditions!!! Fingers crossed, we sail out in march! Lol

• 2 weeks later...
We booked this cruise for February 11th. We cruise every winter but never out of NY in February. I love the longer cruise and actually like the idea of not feeling the rush to "get a chair by the pool" at 8am. We will be relaxing and exploring the ship day 1 and 2 which is fine with me. Plus no airfare x 4 is an added bonus :)

We just booked this cruise this week, our kids Winter Break from school. I so agree with the added bonus of no airfare X 4. The longest cruise we have done has been 7 days so this will be a treat. :)

My family and I have cruise out of NY in January twice. We like to cruise in the winter to break up the cold. Cruising out of NY works for us because the cost to fly to florida for 3 people on top of cruise fare is expensive and not having to fly with a 3 year old is always great. Plus we get a longer cruise for similar prices. The first couple of days and last couple of days we usually explore the ship and do a lot of the indoor cruise activities. We love it. The only thing I will say is that I find the Sea's are a little bit rougher in the winter in the north.

My family and I have cruise out of NY in January twice. We like to cruise in the winter to break up the cold. Cruising out of NY works for us because the cost to fly to florida for 3 people on top of cruise fare is expensive and not having to fly with a 3 year old is always great. Plus we get a longer cruise for similar prices. The first couple of days and last couple of days we usually explore the ship and do a lot of the indoor cruise activities. We love it. The only thing I will say is that I find the Sea's are a little bit rougher in the winter in the north.

Not to mention that January cruises out of NYC tend to offer true ksf deals....but you must recognize them

My inside on the ba jan 2015 was dirt cheap...when I booked 6 months out

My inside on the gem for jan 2016 is ultra dirt cheap and a true ksf as I booked 9 months out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course, if it too cold to go outside on a ship heading south out of New York, it will surely be colder on land in the Northeast. Plus you will not have to shovel your driveway to go get something to eat.

So funny!!

We just booked this cruise this week, our kids Winter Break from school. I so agree with the added bonus of no airfare X 4. The longest cruise we have done has been 7 days so this will be a treat. :)

I did this cruise last year and it was great. Expect lots of kids (over 1600 last February).

Just a note about some of the weather issues-- we left NY in 3 degree weather. There was a huge cold spell on the entire eastern seaboard. We had great weather one day-- cold two days each way, rainy weather cancelled the private island port, and very windy in Nassau. The weather CAN be nice, but don't let it ruin your cruise if it's not GREAT. Despite the potential for VERY FEW decent days, flying I think is worse.

I think being on a cruise ship by definition is "vacation-y per se," even if I'm indoors. I will be fed by others, I won't have to do the dishes, I will be entertained, I can sit someplace and read or watch the ocean ... Sounds like a vacation to me! :)

I agree 100%

I agree 100%

Thanks, Ace. And I see you'll be on the Gem for the sailing right before ours on Feb. 1. Have a great cruise, and please bring the Gem back in good shape! :)

Last time on the gem was a 9 day cruise same as the 10 day now. Feb. 2013 First day down there was ice on the upper pool deck, last day back was high sea 20' to 25' waves. Still had a great time.

I have left many times out of NYC in JAN thru March. On the Spirit, Dawn, and the Gem. Every time is different from Totally flat ocean to Huge seas that you could barely walk to halls.

I believe the cruise lines do all they can to make your vacation enjoyable however they can not control the weather.

So funny!!

I did this cruise last year and it was great. Expect lots of kids (over 1600 last February).

Just a note about some of the weather issues-- we left NY in 3 degree weather. There was a huge cold spell on the entire eastern seaboard. We had great weather one day-- cold two days each way, rainy weather cancelled the private island port, and very windy in Nassau. The weather CAN be nice, but don't let it ruin your cruise if it's not GREAT. Despite the potential for VERY FEW decent days, flying I think is worse.

We are go with the flow folks, we will have a good time no matter what :)

We will be sure to pack a few cold weather items. Thanks

Edited by luv2cruise523

We did that cruise last year, although it was only nine days then. Get to NYC a day early, it was sleet & freezing rain when we left. Once in the open sea the sea was angry, 30' seas. The Gem cruised through them with ease but if you are prone to sickness those first couple days could be rough. The Gem crew were great. Once down south, enjoy it the weather was the best

Did a very similar cruise on the Spirit in January 2007, loved every moment of it and would do it again!

It was a bit chilly when we left but by the next day it was already warm enough to be in the pool. :D Also, temps on the islands were in the comfy 70s.

We had a great time!

Edited by Snowrose

• 3 months later...

We are doing the Feb. 21 cruise .This will be our 6th.cruise leaving from NYC but the first in February .We have been on cruises leaving in December and January and the seas were calm .We have experienced rough seas leaving in July .

I try not to take anything ahead of time but solely as a precaution I bought Bonine today.

Have done both cruises a few times, and recommend both. We are leaving this year on Feb 1. Last time was in 2014 on the Gem. Weather down was a little bumpy, but don't recall any major sickness issues with passengers. Perhaps they were resting in their cabins. Nice little addition was watching the super bowl on board. Unfortunately, it was a lousy game with Denver getting blown out. Looking forward to a better game on board this year. I like the idea of a pretty inexpensive 10 day trip South in the middle of Winter; bumpy seas or no bumpy seas.