Always available menu, what's happening ?

Perfectionistcruiser

To be honest, I have tried so many different cheeses and imho nothing beats Kraft Cheese slices. Nothing. Not even Monterey Jack. Nothing.

And it should come with a nice friendly mug of Rioja.

I guess we should morph any further food discussions to the cooler because we will be reported by a grump and deleted ...

:)

Jeff

I have found the hamburger discussion rather funny & you are making me hungry. But what I really find funny is the fact that they are being served in the MDR - on a luxury cruise line! We leave for our first Silversea cruise this October and was expecting some quite tasty food on board. I don't think we have ordered any hamburgers on any of the cruises we've been on. :)

-Rose

I have found the hamburger discussion rather funny & you are making me hungry. But what I really find funny is the fact that they are being served in the MDR - on a luxury cruise line! We leave for our first Silversea cruise this October and was expecting some quite tasty food on board. I don't think we have ordered any hamburgers on any of the cruises we've been on. :)

-Rose

Rose,

You and your man look like a lovely couple and it's lovely that you are looking forward to your first SS cruise. You both deserve the best that SS can do. :)

I don't know whether you see BBC Blackadder in the US, but what I plan to do is to go to bed (it's 2am) and if you post to say you are of good humour and "up for it" I am going to sleep and wake up and dream up and post a "cunning plan" to help you optimise the SS food experience. No burgers. I don't know what it will be. Or whether it will be. But there will be a cunning plan, just between you and me.

Burgers are for country gals. Not for proper ladies.

If you'd like some cunning and devious plans just say the word and I'll do my best. The only thing I request is that you agree to be sworn to secrecy and if you try stuff you post here to say how it is going. Don't worry, I am on so many ignore lists no one else will know .....:D

It will be fun. I hope.

;)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

-Rose

Hamburgers are served in the MDR on all the luxury cruise lines, Silversea is just the only one gauche ( or brave) enough to list it on the menu.

You are correct again. Given 24 hour notice you can have a hamburger on luxury lines during dinner hours in MDR. I guess SS is the exception. Is SS still considered luxury? This is about the 20th thing they have done to escape the luxury group.

Absolutely right.

I know we are going over old ground ... again .... but wouldn't it be lovely if there was a line today that was like SS when it started with just the two dinky ones. We all know that the marginal effects of a high fixed cost business is that a small amount of cash taken out can make a lot of difference to the differentiators. When you expand you go down market. When you go down market you reduce diems. When you reduce diems you reduce all the variable cost things. Al the variable cost things are the noticeable things. The noticeable things are the important things.

None of us are idiots. We won't be cheated. But there is still a market for those wishing to pay a bit more to have the important things maintained. IMHO.

Anyone want to club together to buy a ship?

Jeff

Jeff,

Maybe you should try Pearl Seas, just one dinky ship. One of its stops in the summer is only a few miles from where I live, I can give you the local tour and we can have a five hour lunch. Here's a picture of it taken from by brother's house:

ImageUploadedByForums1442151620.921198.jpg.fb03f7cc7555bc1f3796e9bfa994f73b.jpg

Mark

Edited by Mark_K

Jeff,

Maybe you should try Pearl Seas, just one dinky ship. One of its stops in the summer is only a few miles from where I live, I can give you the local tour and we can have a five hour lunch. Here's a picture of it taken from by brother's house:

[ATTACH]362455[/ATTACH]

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have travelled so far in the past on the slimmest of excuses! Please don't put temptation in the way!

Thanks for the "steer". I have had a quick look at the site and they have a tab called "Ships" and Mist does look very personal and small and good and interesting ... but as someone unfamiliar it looks a bit dated and ferryish.

The five hour lunch is a touch short ... as you know mine start early and end up before it's dark.

You'll have to make it over to Blighty for Devon or Hampshire or even Singapore for a longer one!

Jeff

What a fuss over a hamburger.Quite a few Michelin strred restaurants will have to go on a few people's do not visit list-

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/best-burgers-at-upscale-restaurants-2015-8#/#acadia-chicago-illinois-1

Even in France-

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/world/europe/16iht-burgers.4.14552700.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The Michelin star system has nothing to do with the class of restaurant or the price of the food. It is a rating for how well the food is prepared for each category of establishment. In other words it is an indicator for you as to whether you are likely to be delighted or disappointed with the food irrespective of the particular dish. In Hong Kong their are dim sum places. It has nothing to do with the sophistication of the menu.

Obviously the most expensive restaurants tend to gather the highest stars but I cannot think of any reason why some high Michelin star restaurants wouldn't provide extremely high quality burgers. If it provided low quality burgers, then it probably wouldn't have a high rating.

I think the point some are making is that they simply think it out of place in the ambience in MDR that some thought SS were trying to maintain. MDR for example has a dress code. Many Michelin star restaurants are informal and have no code. That has implications to many as to what they expect not to see on the menu. To put it at it's clumsiest some feel that if they are going to wear a tuxedo, they would prefer not to sit at a table with people eating burgers. Even if you disagree with them they are entitled to feel that way, don't you think?

It doesn't imply burgers are out of place in all or any excellent restaurants. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Had the Gourmet Burger last night for dinner via Room Service. Absolutely awful although our Butler has another guest whose wife wants the recipe. Go figure. To each his own! Btw, asked one of the better waiters in MDR how many burgers he has served since introducing on the MDR menu. He told me less than 5 and most were for lunch not dinner. So either there market research was faulty or they did just dream up the concept and assumed people would like to order hamburgers for dinner in MDR.

Oh, gee whiz, a question I've been asking for at least seven years.

Has anyone had a so called gourmet burger on SS? The normal burgers have been terrible. Crystal serves the best burger at sea, IMO.

Crystal indeed has the best burgers at sea but you will not see them on the menu at dinner only on request. We think Crystal has the best food at sea with a modern and traditional menu at dinner.

We were on the Shadow a few years ago and we thought the food to be boring to awful. We sent back food several times or just did not eat it. We ordered tuna fish salad for lunch and it was drenched in mayo. We tried crab claws and they were freezer burned. We reduced ourselves to club sandwhiches and even they could not get it right always had wet bacon when we asked for crispy. About the only thing they could not screw up was a grilled cheese sandwhich.:eek:

Crystal indeed has the best burgers at sea but you will not see them on the menu at dinner only on request. We think Crystal has the best food at sea with a modern and traditional menu at dinner.

We were on the Shadow a few years ago and we thought the food to be boring to awful. We sent back food several times or just did not eat it. We ordered tuna fish salad for lunch and it was drenched in mayo. We tried crab claws and they were freezer burned. We reduced ourselves to club sandwhiches and even they could not get it right always had wet bacon when we asked for crispy. About the only thing they could not screw up was a grilled cheese sandwhich.:eek:

None of the recent stuff about food gives confidence. You think they would avoid or if they couldn't discard stuff with freezer burn. And customers who are so delighted with the "gourmet" burgers they ask how to make a burger. :confused:

We resorted to sandwiches a lot of the time and I even had to give very specific instructions about how to make them including how to make a simple marie rose sauce for the prawn sandwiches.

Still, although they left the crust on at least they cut them on the posh diagonal!

:D

Jeff

QSC00167.jpg

I think what disturbs some of us about the burgers is not so much the burgers themselves but that they are an indication of SS trying to give you a lesser product for more money. And what will be next?

Lunch & learn with the head chef now carries a $40 per person charge. This used to be gratis with David Bilsland.