Always available menu, what's happening ?

Perfectionistcruiser

Is it true S S has or is doing away with this dining option completely ? What a great shame for those of us that prefer simple food. Yet more cutbacks I sense !!
It would be a shame, if true. Do you have a source for this or was it just a rumor you heard somewhere?

Agreed this would be a great shame. This has been mentioned on a couple of threads involving 2 ships and different parts of the world and from the latest comments on the current Wind thread it only strengthens my feeling that this is the case. As one who uses the always available probably half the time in MDR I am very concerned.

Yes, I know I can have special order and also anything off the room service. I one tried a desert off menu which had been ordered the day before and takes about 3 minutes to produce but it took 30 minutes to arrive. A starter was requested from the room service menu on another occasion and this seemed to cause chaos with the waiters and led to a late start to our meal. I can only hope they have improved communication between staff if this is the new option.

My next cruise is 3 weeks away so would be interested to see any further postings on here from people currently on board or were recent passengers and have experience of the new system.

Good afternoon EastwoodBoy - I am currently on The Wind and have discussed this topic with the Maitre d - whilst the Anytime Items are no longer showing on the daily Main Dining Room menu, I am assured that the usual Steaks/Salmon etc is still available by asking the Waiter at the time. The new Menu is rather different in layout etc but in general terms one can still choose a Starter, Soup, Pasta, Fish or Meat as before. In addition there now seems to be 2 ' Gourmet Burgers ' available each day ( have not tried one yet !!! ).

I hope this serves to reduce fears.

It was also true on the Whisper in July. We were told that the only other alternative was to order from the room service menu. While I'm sure they will try to please any diner's request,

I see this as another bean counting cut back.

Perfectionistcruiser - I see from another thread you are on the Explorer from Nassau doing Cuba. So are we. Do you want to meet up and have a drink ? When do you arrive in Nassau and where are you staying ?

Thanks Rojaan19 but think drink will have to wait till we board the Explorer, we are party of five, only one night in Nassau staying at the Colonial Hilton, looks the nearest to the port, and we have to visit friends who live in Nassau so time will be short.

Really looking forward to this cruise, it sure will be an adventure, got the Silver Box last week, so now I know it's really happening. A nine hour flight from London, but I know yours will be much more, we used to live in Melbourne so no the distances involved. Safe travels and see you on the little ship.

I guess it's not so bad if you can still order them, but it does a disservice to the new cruisers who have no knowledge of them.

All I ever really ordered from it was shrimp cocktail and tomato or french onion soup when I didn't care for the starter or appetizer options. Hopefully, I can still get those.

Ordered off the "always available" menu last night in the Main Dining Room on the Cloud in Bordeaux. They make a point of telling you it's available. All you need to do is check the room service menu before you head down to dinner so you can have your favorite options in mind.

MHF We too board in Montreal. Staying on until Bridgetown. Can't wait.

MJN, there is a very short roll call and M&M list.

We might have to do our own M&M. I want to hear about Charles' TA (same one SS will be on).

Melissa

We just got off the Whisper yesterday.

The only item that repeats nightly on the menu are the two hamburgers.

After some confusion with our waiter the first night, the head waiter confirmed that any night without advance notice in the main dinning room you can order

Filet mignon, Strip steak (NY strip, I believe), grilled salmon, grilled chicken

In addition you can order anything off the room service menu also without advanced notice.

The room service menu did state you could order from the room service menu in the restaurant, however the other items were not listed anywhere.

After the first night we didn't have any issues ordering any of these items. I'll post menus from the trip in a day or 2

Special request are still available, and require 24 hours notice. This wasn't noted anywhere, but I know someone who ordered Indian food one night.

Edited by looking
additional info

Glad to hear special requests can still be ordered with Maitre d 24 hours in advance.A great way of ensuring you have just what you want and order on your way out of MDR as you leave for the next evening.A great system for enjoying wonderful dinners every evening.