Drink Prices out of Barcelona

We are from Aus, so we are used to CRAZY drink prices... But the prices out of Barcelona were EXTRA CRAZY! We both signed up on day one for the drinks package, because it worked out that we would only have to have 3 cocktails a day each to make it worth our while. (They were around $16.50 each!!!- being about $23AUD)

Actually the higher prices cocktails were 15.36 USD in total:

12 USD (price as in the menu, in that case a Lavender Daiquiri at Schooner Bar)

2.16 USD (18% Service Charge)

1.20 USD (10% Spanish VAT)

jackinthebox422, you can make your maths. Check the bar menus and add 28% to the price listed there.

steamboats

So let's clarify the charge applied to an Ultimate Drinks Package.

The 18% is added to the cost of the UP when purchased online via cruise planner.

The standard allowance for drinks on the package is up to $12 per drink.

Given your price of $15.36 USD for high price cocktails are charges added to your seapass account for $1.20 (Spanish Tax). As it would be unfair to charge the service twice.

Very confusing.

Ed

Ed,

I´m still not sure whether the 10% VAT are added online or not. Never found that out.

But you have to pay the 10% VAT when you book any drink package onboard.

BTW at least with USD accounts RCI just recently added the 18% Service Charge to the prices when you book online.

steamboats

Thanks, WrittenOnYourHeart,

You´re the first one to confirm that there´s no Spanish VAT added when you purchase the package online!! As the online purchase is not regarded as a purchase within Spain there shouldn´t be a VAT added.

57$/night is the current price of the Premium package including now the 18% Service Charge.

As I book in Euro I also get the prices in the Cruise Planner in Euro. Those are pretty weird and I wasn´t able to find out what they´ve charged (or not).

steamboats

I just priced it for my 12-night cruise out of Barcelona next summer and it would be $684 in advance for the Premium - which is $57/day.

Thanks, WrittenOnYourHeart,

You´re the first one to confirm that there´s no Spanish VAT added when you purchase the package online!!

Steamboats - I confirmed some time ago that the Spanish VAT IS included in the package when you prebuy it online. I did some research before our cruise on Allure in June and the price was exactly the same whether we bought it online or onboard

Since WrittenOnYourHeart is on a 12 night sailing from Barcelona next summer that will be the Brilliance itinerary which calls into Kotor and, since Montenegro is not in the EU, Spanish VAT will not apply since the ship calls in a port outside the EU.

Thanks, Bobal,

I´ve asked the question about the VAT in several threads but never got a confirmation from anyone booking in USD. I must have missed yours, sorry!

Makes sense when it´s a cruise hitting non EU ports. Anyway there shouldn´t be a VAT added for online purchases. It´s been the same with the Florida State Tax which is added when you´re buying anything onboard while still in port (or within the 3 mile zone). No additional state tax when you bought it online.

BTW I´ve added the bottle prices to the wines in that other thread. You save money sticking to the reds. The whites are mainly 30 USD/bottle except for one which is 37 USD.

steamboats

We are taking a TA out of Barcelona in October. The Allure only stops in two Spanish ports then heads to the US. I assume we will not be charged VAT but does anyone know for sure?

Edited by dbali

Steamboats - I confirmed some time ago that the Spanish VAT IS included in the package when you prebuy it online. I did some research before our cruise on Allure in June and the price was exactly the same whether we bought it online or onboard

Since WrittenOnYourHeart is on a 12 night sailing from Barcelona next summer that will be the Brilliance itinerary which calls into Kotor and, since Montenegro is not in the EU, Spanish VAT will not apply since the ship calls in a port outside the EU.

Oh gotcha. I didn't know that - about the VAT. Thanks for the clarification.

Oh gotcha. I didn't know that - about the VAT. Thanks for the clarification.

Just to say you've picked a great itinerary there. We did exactly the same one on Serenade 2 years ago and have booked it again for Brilliance next year :)

Thanks for the replies. I assumed the VAT was buried in there somewhere as you can not avoid it anywhere else in Spain or any of the other countries in Europe I work. All in $57 a day, will have to think about that. Short 5 night cruise and only 2 ports.

THanks!

I may be wrong but I think your price will be more like $62.72, i.e. Base price $49, VAT $4.90, Gratuity $8.82