laundry questions

retiredkid

on the NA...

If you purchase the unlimited laundry do you use the same bags? Do you have more than one at a time? I am thinking they don't sort, so, could/Would I use one for darks and one for lights? How do you do it?

You can get more than one bag if you need to. In each bag, you put a filled out itemized list of what you are sending and what (if any) special instructions you have. If you have several things you want washed identically, it may be better to use a separate bag.

Keep in mind that with unlimited you can send a bag every day (except the last day).

Cheers!

I prepaid for the unlimited laundry on my Rotterdam cruise (18 days). Can you send a bunch on the first day? When is it likely to be back? I will have been on the road over 2 weeks before we head for the ship so will be a stinking mess of dirty clothes even if I hit laundry somewhere on the way.

I prepaid for the unlimited laundry on my Rotterdam cruise (18 days). Can you send a bunch on the first day? When is it likely to be back? I will have been on the road over 2 weeks before we head for the ship so will be a stinking mess of dirty clothes even if I hit laundry somewhere on the way.

Yes, you can. It will probably be back the following afternoon.

thanks for the replies. good to know i can have more than one bag.

and I didn't really think it through, never thought about the fact that i could use it every day. one day lights, one day darks. etc.

this could work out just fine :)

Our laundry experience is that a bag placed on your bed before you go to dinner will be returned the next morning. The first day may be a bit slower as passengers turn in several days worth of laundry from their pre-cruise days. Our best service on the Noordam, Alaska 2015, was laundry turned in during the morning room cleaning (9:30) would be returned by 2:30 PM the same day.

We ask our Room Steward for several bags and sometimes have a bag in the morning with another in the evening as we have the unlimited laundry as 4-Star Mariners.

This allows us to pack for 3 - 4 days.

In regard to sending a large bag or bags out on the first day, keep in mind lots of people will board the ship with clothes they have worn pre-cruise while touring in embarkation city etc I wouldn't count on having the laundry returned before about 48 hours but you well could be happy to get it sooner. They get 'bombed' the first day. :)

The laundry does do sorting, but mistakes can occur. I once got back a polo shirt and pair of khakis that were decidedly pink because they had been put in a washer with bleach (don't know if bleach got in with the colored stuff or the clothes had been mixed into the whites).

Got a message to go to front desk where the shamefaced young lady brought them out to show me. We had a few laughs deciding whether or not I could wear them again, then they collected information (cost of items, when purchased, etc) and I had a generous credit on my account the next morning.

The laundry does do sorting, but mistakes can occur. I once got back a polo shirt and pair of khakis that were decidedly pink because they had been put in a washer with bleach (don't know if bleach got in with the colored stuff or the clothes had been mixed into the whites).

Got a message to go to front desk where the shamefaced young lady brought them out to show me. We had a few laughs deciding whether or not I could wear them again, then they collected information (cost of items, when purchased, etc) and I had a generous credit on my account the next morning.

What a hoot! I haven't had pink laundry in decades. Good for you for taking it in stride. Mistakes can happen. I think on another thread there was a discussion about not sending anything in that you couldn't bear to lose to mistakes or misplacement so I think that's a good insight too.

I find that sometimes I have to ask stewards for an extra bag several times during the cruise because they are so used to providing one.

Pink underwear - just last month, after doing laundry for over 40 years, I managed to forget and put a newish red tee shirt in with my undies. (Most of my tees have been washed enough that colors running is no longer an issue.) I simply chuckled and had fond memories of years ago when it happened more often. Thankfully it was my underwear, not my husbands, so I just go Pink some days.

One time the laundry lost one of DH's shirts. I was asked to describe it. I couldn't.

So now I take pictures of everything we send out. Then once everything is returned I can delete them.

That is a pretty good idea. Put a piece of paper with the date in the picture also. Hard to remember which yellow shirt you wore that day.

I also carry a stain stick and a small bottle of dish soap (Palmolive green seems the best). I treat any stain or spot then throw into the laundry bag. the dish soap does keep greasy type of spot from changing the color of bright solid colored T-shirts. Patterned shirts do better than solids for not showing messes.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I find that sometimes I have to ask stewards for an extra bag several times during the cruise because they are so used to providing one.

My biggest complaint is that cabin stewarts quite often take a bag of laundry - but don't leave a new empty bag! Have to chase them down, or go to their "supply closet" to get one.

If you are cruising in Europe, call Ship's Services well before you leave and purchase the unlimited laundry package at $7 per day for the cabin, and get a receipt e-mailed to you. If you wait to purchase it onboard, you will pay $9 per day. Not a big deal on a week cruise, but it adds up for long cruises. The receipt can help when the FO says "We don't know anything about a prepaid laundry package".