Day stay Accommodation in Los Angeles

Kiwi_cruiser

When we get off our Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise we got about 8 - 10 hours to kill in Los Angeles before our flight to Australia that night (about 11pm).

Does anyone know any day stay Accommodation like a hotel etc.. in Los Angeles?? Where we can dump our luggage (3 - 4 cases!) and maybe have a fresh up and maybe get some food, so we can then have a explore of LA before our flight?

When we get off our Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise we got about 8 - 10 hours to kill in Los Angeles before our flight to Australia that night (about 11pm).

Does anyone know any day stay Accommodation like a hotel etc.. in Los Angeles?? Where we can dump our luggage (3 - 4 cases!) and maybe have a fresh up and maybe get some food, so we can then have a explore of LA before our flight?

In case you do not get any answers here, try the West Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Keep in mind that for an international flight, LAX recommends checking in three hours before your flight. That will cut into the time you think you have. :(

And, not to be a killjoy, but you can't do much exploring of Los Angeles in just a couple of hours. It's a huge, spread out place with traffic jams. Have you investigated a post-cruise excursion through Princess?

Kiwi cruiser...we sailed with Aussie friends who like you had a late night flight home. There were many non-US citizens (over 1,000) resulting in delayed immigration & customs processing for them resulting in an early afternoon departure from the cruise ship terminal.

We only had time to drive them on a quick whirlwind tour around LA to places they wanted to see during their brief 1st time visit to LA (Griffith Park Observatory, Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Venice beach). Having last eaten at breakfast on the ship, we had a quick bite to eat along the way & dropped them off at 8:00 for their flight from LAX.

As Pam said the recommended check-in time reduces your time to do what you're considering & it might be best to get a day rate hotel as TracieABD suggested. I wouldn't recommend your plan to get a hotel & to explore LA which would require transportation to do it...a taxi or a rental car because public transportation isn't great. Add to the equation unpredictable LA traffic which at best is bad, your 8-10 hour time frame (if everything goes smoothly) would be too little time for me to consider touring LA away from the airport area. If you'd be interested in visiting Marina Del Rey (small boats & restaurants) or Manhattan Beach (a nice beach & much safer than Venice beach) both aren't too far away from LAX.

In the past Princess occasionally would offer a bus tour of LA that would drop you off at LAX. I don't know if that will be an option on your cruise but I have also seen on roll calls were passengers booked an independent tour of LA with LAX drop off.

There's an iPhone / iPad app called Hotels by Day which you might find useful. It does just what it's name implies -- it locates hotels that have day rates.

I agree with the earlier poster that L.A. is too large a place to see much. Depending on your schedule, pick one destination (the Getty, for example) that's not too far from LAX and enjoy a relaxed visit.

Keep in mind that for an international flight, LAX recommends checking in three hours before your flight. That will cut into the time you think you have. :(

yeath, I know :), I factored that in, I suspect we will be off the ship at about 9am and we would need to be at the airport by 7-8pm for a 11pm flight.

And, not to be a killjoy, but you can't do much exploring of Los Angeles in just a couple of hours. It's a huge, spread out place with traffic jams. Have you investigated a post-cruise excursion through Princess?

Princess are NOT offering any post-cruise excursion :(

I am looking at staying here for the day. Been to LA before so not bithered about venturing out. Will see how we feel.

We are doing Panama on Disney Wonder in May next year.

http://www.travelodgelax.com/halfday_dayratedayuse.htm

That's located at Century & Aviation and it should be okay for the day.

What are your plans for the day? If you go east of the San Diego (405) Freeway use caution because there are some rough neighborhoods.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's located at Century & Aviation and it should be okay for the day.

What are your plans for the day? If you go east of the San Diego (405) Freeway use caution because there are some rough neighborhoods.

Thanks for that.

No set plans at the moment. May just rest up before the flight.

We have a large very active online group that is organising a myriad of activities. Think i may need a day if rest after this cruise. Lol.