OBC / Anytime Dinner / Prepaid gratuities ?

bryanjaync

If we have OBC (both TA and HAL), and we selected HAL's version of Anytime / As You Wish Dining (not sure what HAL calls the no set time MDR dining),,,,

a) Do we have to pre-pay gratuities (service charge) prior to cruise?

b) If yes, does that mean we cannot use the OBC once on board to pay for gratuities since they have been prepaid.

Thanks. (We have not been on HAL for many years, so trying to catch up on their policies, some of which I cannot find on the HAL site)

The Hotel Service Charge (gratuities) is automatically added to your shipboard account each evening. The amount will be either $11.50 or $12 per person per day depending on the cabin category you have booked.

All the shipboard credit that you have received from your TA and HAL can be used to offset the Hotel Service Charge.

For all drinks, bottles water, bottles of wine -- a 15% gratuity is automatically added onto that bill. And those bills as well as anything you buy in the shops or pictures you buy are also subtracted from the shipboard credit.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

You are correct....OBC is for ONBOARD the ship...you can't use it until you are ON the ship. Presumably, you will be making other purchases during your cruise...so that OBC will be used against anything you charge.

I guess, if you have to prepay your grats, you could cancel them once on the ship, and let the OBC cover it...six of one, 1/2 doz. of the other!!!

If we have OBC (both TA and HAL), and we selected HAL's version of Anytime / As You Wish Dining (not sure what HAL calls the no set time MDR dining),,,,

a) Do we have to pre-pay gratuities (service charge) prior to cruise?

b) If yes, does that mean we cannot use the OBC once on board to pay for gratuities since they have been prepaid.

Thanks. (We have not been on HAL for many years, so trying to catch up on their policies, some of which I cannot find on the HAL site)

AFAIK - HAL does not ask nor require anyone to prepay gratuities. The only way I know of to do so is to purchase OBC, or have it from other sources, to cover the amount.

... a) Do we have to pre-pay gratuities (service charge) prior to cruise?

No, you do not have to pre-pay gratuities. See Post # 2 above

Since you are apparently having some difficulty finding answers on the HAL web site, I am attaching a copy of the HAL "Know Before You Go" booklet which has answers to many (but certainly not all) HAL cruising questions. I suggest you follow up with HAL Ship Services on any remaining questions after you have perused the booklet ... and then come back to the CC Forum for anecdotal information and opinions ...

Have a great cruise!!!

HAL Know Before You Go brochure.pdf

Edited by avian777

You are correct....OBC is for ONBOARD the ship...you can't use it until you are ON the ship. Presumably, you will be making other purchases during your cruise...so that OBC will be used against anything you charge.

I guess, if you have to prepay your grats, you could cancel them once on the ship, and let the OBC cover it...six of one, 1/2 doz. of the other!!!

If you choose to prepay your gratuities thru pre-purchased OBC, anything that is left from this at the end of the cruise will be credited back to your credit card.

Contrary to Celebrity/RCL , Holland America unfortunately doesn't allow to pre-pay gratuities/hotel service charges.

Personally I'd like to do that - if I haven't got loads of OBC to get rid off it looks much nicer on your onboard account if the amount has already been paid before ;). If you pay for your cruise in another currency than US$ as we do we can pay the amount due in Euros together with our general cruise price, so the hotel service charge doesn't have to be re-converted as the onboard account is in US$.

What is the advantage other than convenience too buy OBC in advance? Why not just take care of the bill while on board?

For some, it is a matter of budgeting. I have a big enough kennel bill when I return home, so I prefer to keep my on board account manageable and I do that by pre-paying certain items including obc.

For others, it can be a matter of currency exchange. Stuff I have pre-paid for on my upcoming cruise has a much better exchange rate applied to it than if I had waited until I was onboard.

We typically pre-pay a few things, especially if we have an indication that our dollar is going to go the wrong way. Savings in exchange rate can really add up.

Edited by kazu

OP: Thanks everyone, and I will try to better navigate HAL site for answers in the future.

About this post, I did NOT want to have to pay gratuities in advance (like other lines do) when we will have more than enough OBC provided by TA and HAL to cover them.

OP: Thanks everyone, and I will try to better navigate HAL site for answers in the future.

About this post, I did NOT want to have to pay gratuities in advance (like other lines do) when we will have more than enough OBC provided by TA and HAL to cover them.

It's not a problem to ask here that's for sure. You are way more likely to receive an accurate answer here. There was quite a lengthy thread the other day about Hal being confused about its own policies. First they stood behind what they said even though it didn't make sense. They later backed down. You might want to take a look at the site to get an idea but come here to verify.

Here is the thread I'm referring to in case you would like to read it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254558