Christmas Markets and different currencies

yoshi

We will be in 4-5 different countries for the Rhine Christmas tours.

Especially for stalls at the Christmas Markets where I imagine we will make many smaller purchases, do we need to get currencies before flying to Europe or do you use ATMs, banks, or credit cards?

Thanks in advance.

We will be in 4-5 different countries for the Rhine Christmas tours.

Especially for stalls at the Christmas Markets where I imagine we will make many smaller purchases, do we need to get currencies before flying to Europe or do you use ATMs, banks, or credit cards?

Thanks in advance.

The only place that you will need different currency is Basel ( and the rest of Switzerland, if you are extending there), all of the rest of the countries use the Euro. Use the Atm's that are plentiful everywhere. Various vendors might accept Euros in Basl, but don't depend on all of them doing it. It is easier to just have some of the proper currency with you. You really don't need to get money before you go, just use the atm at the airport when you arrive.

Always best to use the local currency or you will most likely pay a premium even if the merchant is willing to take another currency. As suggested, use an ATM to get some local currency. Some stalls will accept credit cards so if you have one that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, that is another option.

Thanks Poconolady & Purduemom1! We are spending a couple of days in Basel, pre-cruise so we will find an ATM.

Do the riverboats have pursers like the ocean cruise ships that will change $ or tavellers checks for Euros?

Thanks Poconolady & Purduemom1! We are spending a couple of days in Basel, pre-cruise so we will find an ATM.

Do the riverboats have pursers like the ocean cruise ships that will change $ or tavellers checks for Euros?

Travelers checks have pretty much disappeared from use these days. A debit card for the atm is the best bet. You will almost always get the best exchange rate that way. The boat will exchange a small amount for you, but will refer you to other sources for a large amount. Check with your local bank to find out which European bank chain is compatible with your bank and they will most likely do cash or travelers check exchanges for you.

Don't know if all the river cruise companies are the same when it comes to exchanging currency, but our experience was that Viking was happy to break a 50 euro into smaller euro bills, but was not able to exchange say dollars for euros. Like others have said, ATM's are plentiful.

:o It has been 31 years since I was in Europe :o

Thanks again, can't wait to try some of the market goodies!

You'll have a great time exploring the different markets. While you will see many of the same items at each market, there will be unique items and for me the fun is searching those out. If you see something that you really like, buy it as you may not find it again. If you search on this board you will find previous threads with good information about the markets. Always fun to research as you anticipate your trip:)

Check the exchange rates ahead of time--you can get your EU and other currency in the US at your local bank. Some obscure currencies may require 24-48 lead time, but you can get it here.

Otherwise, you can exchange at the airports and in most cities, there are street-exchanges (a little booth right in the front of a building) that's located near the markets. We exchanged at once in Cologne and Bratislava. ATM machines work fine too--Caveat: let your bank know you are travelling abroad. Otherwise they may freeze your account if they suspect fraud or identity theft. That happened to us on one trip to Grand Cayman. Lesson learned. Make that call. (And have a second-different credit card) along as a back up. BTDT as well.

yoshi, you still have plenty of time to open an account at Schwab Bank or a credit union that offers fee-free ATM access overseas. Schwab will refund all ATM-related fees (including those at domestic banks), and have no monthly service charges. We maintain a Schwab bank account specifically for travel purposes.

Having no ATM fees makes it easy to make small withdrawals in places where we're not sure how much cash we'll need. Also helps us avoid carrying around lots of cash.

Especially if you have a no-fee ATM card, using that will usually give you the best rate vs. trying to exchange currency in your home country before traveling.

Also, on our Uniworld cruise, they would exchange Euros for dollars, but they started running low on Euros toward the end of the trip.

• 1 month later...

It makes far more sense to get your euros before leaving the US. Our bank does not charge us a fee for them. We will not be standing at ATMs so that someone can scan our card. We will be ready to pay the taxi from the airport without hunting one down in the airport where, again, someone can scan the card. And you will not need to worry if your ship is going to run out of currencies as ships we have been on before do. You will need cash in the Christmas markets. They do not take credit cards.

It makes far more sense to get your euros before leaving the US. Our bank does not charge us a fee for them. We will not be standing at ATMs so that someone can scan our card. We will be ready to pay the taxi from the airport without hunting one down in the airport where, again, someone can scan the card. And you will not need to worry if your ship is going to run out of currencies as ships we have been on before do. You will need cash in the Christmas markets. They do not take credit cards.

The downside to this is that you will likely not get the best exchange rate. I did this once when I wanted to become familiar with foreign currency before my trip, but it's typically more prudent to wait until arrival if you want to get the best rates. ATMs are everywhere in airports nowadays and skimming devices and ATM fraud in general seems to be much more of problem in the US from what I have read.

You will need cash for food, drinks, and small inexpensive purchases in all of the markets. If you at markets in the larger cities then expect many of the booths to accept major credit cards for purchases over 20 euros. If you do encounter merchants that will only take cash then there are plenty of ATMs near most markets.

I still say that getting cash at ATMs I Europe will get you the best value for your dollar.

Ev

The downside to this is that you will likely not get the best exchange rate. I did this once when I wanted to become familiar with foreign currency before my trip, but it's typically more prudent to wait until arrival if you want to get the best rates. ATMs are everywhere in airports nowadays and skimming devices and ATM fraud in general seems to be much more of problem in the US from what I have read.

We always get cash from the ATM and in 30+ trips to Europe have never had an issue.

< It makes far more sense to get your euros before leaving the US.> I disagree. That is leaving money on the table. Even less practical is exchanging at the front desk once onboard.

<getting cash at ATMs I Europe will get you the best value for your dollar. >

This is true. Personally, we choose to get local currency at an ATM and will continue to do so.

Everyone has their own comfort level. There is no wrong or right way to get or exchange currency. It makes sense to know all the choices available to you and you pick the one that is best for you. And if there is a fee associated with the exchange, it really is minimal when you think of how much your cruise vacation is costing.

My one hint is to 'break' a bill as soon as you can so you have coins in your pocket. Everyone needs to have coins in your pocket when you have to 'go' . Most public toilets are manned by a Madame PeePee. :D