Cruising with a Spirit

duct tape

Venezia! La Serenissima! 72 degrees, sunny, breezy, too many people. We are overnight and they will all be going back to the buses soon. Azamara and a river boat are at San Basilio. The trek to the San Marco water shuttle is VERY far and difficult for many (read: ME). Would have been nice if the small shuttle bus that ran from the ship to the water Shuttle had been mentioned in the Chronicle! Live and learn. In-Transit Party this evening in the Observation Lounge (about 27 I hear). Can't believe how fast a week goes! New group tomorrow.

Yesterday Ravenna after 2 wonderful days in Venice. This segment is another 7 dayer (cannot believe we are really doing this) R/T Venice. Last night another Welcome Party, Virtuoso Party and lots of music. Ravenna is always such an unexpected pleasure, bicycles, polished stone streets, multiple periods of architecture and preserved mosaics everywhere! The Baptistrys are my favorites, I think. Small, intimate and symbols of continuity of generations. Another nice lunch, of course, at Ca' de' Ven. An old warehouse and guesthouse merged into a terrific building with frescoes domed ceilings in parts of the building. They are known for their communal tables. Some people joined us but were unhappy to share so we did not "commune". Missed opportunities.

Split today. The city spills out of Diocletian's hugh palace built in 295! Always lively with a good fish market, surrounded by restaurants ready to serve whatever is new that day. Alas, today is Sunday, so the perfect opportunity to take advantage of having the pool to myself. Warm and sunny.

Good afternoon Ducttape - glad to hear that all is going well on The Spirit ( we have friends on board )

So sorry to hear that .Fernando had an accident in Venice - we hope that he is recovering and we send him our fondest wishes for a speedy recovery - we are surprised that no one has posted on his misfortune ?

All is well on The Wind - we are in Calvi in changeable weather. It started with a Thunderstorm, then Sunshine and at Lunchtime a very heavy squall during which a tender had a very difficult journey back to the ship - docking was a major issue including a broken rope and much bronco bucking - however as usual the wonderful Crew did a magnificent job in getting all on board safely.

Continue to enjoy your adventure - I hope the Pool is to your satisfaction ?

Yes, Fernando fell off a boat in Venice. He is in the hospital there. I didn't want to be the 1st to mention it. I knew it would surface soon enough! He is in pain, awaiting surgery. He may be returned to Lisbon for care. Awaiting news. Good old Fernando..."I didn't even have a drink!".

Edited by duct tape

thanks for the continuing news duct tape.

we are enjoying your posts.

Yes!! YES!! Agree with Candy above and appreciate these many updates and details from duct tape. We have not yet been to Split and certain other towns in this area. Doing more along this scenic coast is on our future to-do list.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 29,956 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Back to Dubrovnik today. Today we are docked.

Rafting excursions, Krka National Park, Cetina River cruise, sea Safari of Trogir and Ciovo Island, Picturesqus Trogir, Taste of Split.

Oh no! They were yesterday!

TodayWalking Tours, Adriatic Sea Adventure, Tastes and Flavors of...,The Croatian Countryside, the Elaphite Archipelago, Kayak Lokrum Island, Buggy Exploration and Cable Car, Sunset Wine Tasting and An Afternoon in Cavtat for us.

Fernando is stable at the moment. He is still awaiting news of when/how he is going to Lisboa.

Edited by duct tape

Really sorry to hear about Fernando and hope that he will be fit and well again soon. The world cruisers on here are hoping to see him on-board in January, even if its with sticks, and maybe with a younger assistant.

Have SS flown in a standby, or even asked DT to take up the slack?

Took the afternoon excursion to Cavtat. Definitely requires a return visit. Charming seaside village where Croatians go on holiday. Lots of spaces to explore, lots of cafes and restaurants with the occasional gelato stop. I learned about the popularity of water polo in Croatia. Most harbor towns have in-water "fields" marked off. I sat and watched a boy and his father playing. We were to return to Dubrovnik by boat but the wind came up and we got back on the bus. There are water taxis/ferries that run frequently to Cavtat. Next time.

Zadar yesterday. Another perfect Adriatic Croatian village. Their claim to fame is the Morske Orgulje (Sea Organ) built into/carved out of the bulkhead. The waves drive the quantity and quality of the sounds with resultant lovely music! We were docked on port, so we had front seats at the concert. Also in the sidewalk adjacent to the Sea Organ is the Pozdrav Suncu (Greetings To The Sun) in-ground clear mosaic sculpture. A pleasant day.

Venetian Night. About 170 Venetians. Ship is full, about 514!

Also yesterday, Peter Greenberg, the Travel Detective, lectured in the AM. Very informative and entertaining.

Koper, Slovenia, today. New port and new country for us! Sun was shining when we arrived but the clouds and rain arrived shortly thereafter. Another architecturally attractive Adriatic village. There is an elevator directly across from the ship that will take us up to the old part of the town. They even have a highly rated Thai restaurant! Who would have guessed?!

Fernando is at the airport in Venice (finally!) waiting for his plane to land to take him home. Hard to believe he is still in Venice and we return tomorrow! Will update as available. He is loving the gourmet cuisine, unsalted steamed rice served with a nice room temp water beverage!

Edited by duct tape

2 more glorious days in La Serenissima! My heart and my stomach are full. Folks debark today. There are about 20 in transit with 500 boarding. My Hub is right, there is nothing like the Adriatic in September. It has been a great trip. Will start a new thread since some new CC buds will be boarding and it will be a new trip through their eyes.

Fernando had surgery yesterday in Lisbon. He will have quite a recovery but he is up to the challenge!