Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

At least a free cruise in the future yes lots of people spend lots of money cruising each year it's only right for them to better maintain their ships or to pay.

We have no idea how CCL maintains their ships. I have had some brand-new items - some very expensive - right out of a sealed box- that have not worked. Aside from some cursing, life goes on. Stuff happens. CCL has more ships than most other lines - therefore we hear more about the bad stuff that happens. Again - no one was hurt. It is a sea day today, with Barbados very close at hand. Weather is great in St. Thomas today. I would rather them make sure all the engines are working correctly than have them stranded between St. Thomas and Barbados!

My mom called today and they were in good spirits and making the best of the situation. Their room has 3 passengers and as such was credited a total of $450, so their day onboard will be enjoyable, however they were taking advantage of being docked in St. Thomas and were heading out to see what tours were being offered, as they were under the impression the tours weren't being charged for (not sure if this is true or not) and were planning on going downtown to shop if not. They were in good spirits but seemed realistic about the possibility that they may not be leaving St. Thomas today or by 4p.

We have no idea how CCL maintains their ships.

Ever gone on a behind the fun tour? The chief engineer that I met was a stickler and everything was in tip top shape and as an engineer myself - I was studying stuff hard. These guys are on these ships for years and it was practically his child he was talking about.

Anytime you put man and machine together - something will break - it is just the nature of the beast no matter how much you try.

Funny how much everyone is worrying about how horrible this must be for the poor passengers and how much money they should get when I am guessing 95% of them are happy and enjoying another fun day in port.

At least a free cruise in the future yes lots of people spend lots of money cruising each year it's only right for them to better maintain their ships or to pay. At first sure but this has not been a one off situation Take a look at the least several years with carnival what is it 4-7 engine fires and the titanic experience (costa)

Good luck with the free cruise. Last time I sailed CCL the ship had problems and cut our trip short. They gave us an insulting coupon for 25% off our next CCL cruise. Never again.

Ever gone on a behind the fun tour? The chief engineer that I met was a stickler and everything was in tip top shape and as an engineer myself - I was studying stuff hard. These guys are on these ships for years and it was practically his child he was talking about.

Anytime you put man and machine together - something will break - it is just the nature of the beast no matter how much you try.

Funny how much everyone is worrying about how horrible this must be for the poor passengers and how much money they should get when I am guessing 95% of them are happy and enjoying another fun day in port.

Actually, I have done the tour, and it was quite informative. The chief engineer kind of reminded me of Scotty (with a different accent) on the Enterprise - totally in love with their "babies!" One can never tell when something gives out. I giggle everytime I see a new Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. on the side of the road with their hood up. Imagine trying to keep a cruise ship going - especially when the ship really never gets down time. Sails week after week after week, until drydock. And I can think of a lot worse places to be stuck than in St. Thomas! :D

Anyone have any "reliable" information about how many people actually board in Barbados for this cruise? By the way isn't today a scheduled sea day?

On our cruise there were 155 passengers that ended their cruise in Barbados. They came onthe intercom and told us the number of passengers leaving the ship in Barbados.

If you are every looking for something fun and interesting to do in St. Thomas I recommend Magic Ice. it is right next to Pizza Hut on the main shopping drag (21 Dronningens Gade). It is a bar/ice sculpture gallery. It is a $19 cover charge and that covers your your parka, gloves and leggings, your shot of Cruzan Rum and a free souvenir shot glass. It is very easy to kill and hour or so without realizing it Magic Ice.

I have to agree. There is absolutely no reason to make an issue of it onboard while everybody is stressed, but the fact is that you didn't get what you paid for and it's Carnival's fault you didn't. Weather is not Carnival's fault, but the blame for this is directly at Carnival's feet. Somebody missed something during maintenance or whatever, but regardless, you paid for something, due to a situation that Carnival is responsible for, you didn't get what you paid for and I'm going to guess many guests even lost some money because of this...what about prepaid shore excursions (I'm talking about independent tours not through Carnival), not to mention the inconvenience of being stuck with no money, no medication, in a wet bathing suit. Yes, it's great that everybody is well and nobody is hurt, and hey if you have to be stranded, St. Thomas is a great place for that! Anyway, I would wait until I got home and then sent a nice letter explaining what my damages were and request what I would consider fair compensation. I don't think a free cruise is reasonable, but I would expect to be reimbursed for any financial obligations that I lost, and then I would have to think long and hard what the general inconvenience entailed....most likely the $150 OBC that has already been reported would do....but yes, I do believe Carnival should responsible this financially.

Check your cruise contract. Carnival has the right to change the itinerary whenever they want to without compensation for any reason. This happens quite a bit during hurricane season. If you think you will get any extra compensation, you are quite mistaken.

I have to agree. There is absolutely no reason to make an issue of it onboard while everybody is stressed, but the fact is that you didn't get what you paid for and it's Carnival's fault you didn't. Weather is not Carnival's fault, but the blame for this is directly at Carnival's feet. Somebody missed something during maintenance or whatever, but regardless, you paid for something, due to a situation that Carnival is responsible for, you didn't get what you paid for and I'm going to guess many guests even lost some money because of this...what about prepaid shore excursions (I'm talking about independent tours not through Carnival), not to mention the inconvenience of being stuck with no money, no medication, in a wet bathing suit. Yes, it's great that everybody is well and nobody is hurt, and hey if you have to be stranded, St. Thomas is a great place for that! Anyway, I would wait until I got home and then sent a nice letter explaining what my damages were and request what I would consider fair compensation. I don't think a free cruise is reasonable, but I would expect to be reimbursed for any financial obligations that I lost, and then I would have to think long and hard what the general inconvenience entailed....most likely the $150 OBC that has already been reported would do....but yes, I do believe Carnival should responsible this financially.

Maybe you should read your next cruise contract. You might be surprised that it says that Carnival (or any cruise line) is not actually responsible for getting you anywhere. That the ship might not be safe. That you may not arrive on time. That if you board the ship and it just stays in dock that the cruise line has fulfilled its obligation.

They are most definitely not legally responsible for your missed independently booked shore excursion, or your missed independently booked airfare, etc.

Now, if Carnival feels it is better to offer compensation to make people happy and avoid PR issues, that is their call. But I don't think the cruise contract actually mandates them to do anything.

I was just informed that the US Coast Guard is here and inspecting the engine room. At this point, we are waiting for clearance to sail. As stated earlier, all guests must be back on the ship at 4:00 pm. We will receive an official update at that time.

I was just informed that the US Coast Guard is here and inspecting the engine room. At this point, we are waiting for clearance to sail. As stated earlier, all guests must be back on the ship at 4:00 pm. We will receive an official update at that time.

Positive thoughts!

Maybe you should read your next cruise contract. You might be surprised that it says that Carnival (or any cruise line) is not actually responsible for getting you anywhere. That the ship might not be safe. That you may not arrive on time. That if you board the ship and it just stays in dock that the cruise line has fulfilled its obligation.

They are most definitely not legally responsible for your missed independently booked shore excursion, or your missed independently booked airfare, etc.

Now, if Carnival feels it is better to offer compensation to make people happy and avoid PR issues, that is their call. But I don't think the cruise contract actually mandates them to do anything.

And when you check into a hospital you sign that they are not responsible if they accidentally amputate your leg during your appendectomy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son and his new wife are on the ship on their honeymoon. Thank you so much for all your updates.

And when you check into a hospital you sign that they are not responsible if they accidentally amputate your leg during your appendectomy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I think you are forgetting something. That hospital is in the United States, and is subject to US Law.

The ship is registered to a foreign nation, and is not subject to the laws of the United States for many things.

If you were to sue Carnival, I believe their first defense would be "we are not a United States business. The plaintiff will need to sue us in the Bahamas", or wherever the ship is registered.

Even though this fire took place in US territory, I believe that you would be hard pressed for a court to take action on any compensation based on jurisdictional issues.

Again, though, there is a big difference between legal liability and "doing what is right" to keep your current and future cruise passengers happy and to keep PR looking good.

But good luck demanding more than you are offered....

Robert

This is what your ticket says about itinerary changes:

(d) The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master’s discretion and for any purpose, and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns, US or foreign governmental advisories or travel warnings, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Except as provided in Clause 7© with regard to early termination of a voyage, Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances other than as provided by Carnival’s change of itinerary policy at the time Guest or his agent acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract.

and 7c: In the event a voyage is terminated early due to mechanical failure of the Vessel, Guest is also entitled to transportation to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or Guest’s home city, at Carnival’s discretion and expense, as well as necessary lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation, if required, at Carnival’s expense.

It is probably advisable for cruise passengers to actually read their ticket contracts.

Not to say that Carnival will strictly adhere to their legal rights and they probably will compensate individuals beyond their requirements but to think that someone is entitled to something because of unforeseen occurrences is a bit ludicrous and quite irresponsible.

This would lead you to believe Carnival NEVER takes care of their passengers when their ships sink, catch fire or break down.

We know this in not true.

And this would hardly ever be plastered as a good PR ploy.