Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

Yes. But we would prefer taking any other cruise that same week. Our parents don't have the flexibility to take another cruise this year. So for us, it's looking more and more like we will be taking the refund and staying at home.

Understand, I assume you looked at other options (not San Juan)? Not sure where you are coming from....

Until Carnival makes the announcement, there really are no other arrangements. We have several thousands of dollars tied up in this cruise and cannot just book something else.

I wish carnival would send out something to the next cruisers. I'm booked on the 9-13 trip. All i get is "our last update says your trip will be on schedule." Going to be some crap if we are told Saturday day "after flying to SJ on Friday" that our trip is canceled. and the circus of trying to find 7 nights of hotels in SJ along with 3000 others.

I think for anyone sailing on the 13th or even the 20th, the proactive thing to do is have an idea how you want to handle a cancellation when/if it happens. I had a Celebrity cruise cancelled three weeks out for an emergency dry-dock, and I got the news here on Cruise Critic about 8 hours before I received official notification from Celebrity. I had already put a courtesy hold on another cruise on a different cruise line, and I had made refundable hotel reservations. The head start allowed me to do all that before the market was flooded with people looking for last minute vacation-savers.

Unfortunately, although you will get a full refund plus some future cruise compensation if your cruise is cancelled, your only option to have immediate access to those funds will be if Carnival is able to slide your reservation over to another cruise. They won't be able to refund your money fast enough to book something different. That will eliminate the possibility of booking on another line leaving out of San Juan unless you can afford to pay in full while you wait for your refund.

We are sailing her in November. We called carnival and they said that if she is not ready for some reason, they would give us another ship...not sure how they just have ships hanging around but hopefully those of you who are cruising before us will be the same situation.

Thanks you pauley for the amazing updates. Enjoy what you can of the time you have left.

Really, you called Carnival worrying about your cruise in NOVEMBER???????? Girl Please.

No insurance + non refundable flights (cruising on the cheap). = Week on a beach in SJ. We got our straw and ready to suck it up... (better then in then office)

PR is actually a very interesting island. Do a little homework, there are many really cool things to do there. Just trying to make chicken salad out of C.S.

I wish carnival would send out something to the next cruisers. I'm booked on the 9-13 trip. All i get is "our last update says your trip will be on schedule." Going to be some crap if we are told Saturday day "after flying to SJ on Friday" that our trip is canceled. and the circus of trying to find 7 nights of hotels in SJ along with 3000 others.

Disclaimer: I am not with Carnival, and I don't have any more info than you do.

That said, knowing what we do know if I were in your position I'd be making resort reservations in San Juan. As long as you don't book a prepaid rate, the most you generally stand to lose is the cost of one night if you have to cancel at the last minute.

With Liberty not cleared to sail back to San Juan with passengers at this time and with her apparently not leaving St Thomas until at least Friday, I have a hard time believing that your cruise will depart on Sunday as planned. Hotel rates are almost certainly cheaper today than they will be when thousands of other people are booking at the last minute, so it's best to get ahead of everyone else.

Edited by gtalum

Understand, I assume you looked at other options (not San Juan)? Not sure where you are coming from....

Yes. All carnival cruises that week have been removed from the website. Not sure if they miraculously sold everything out or if carnival is holding them back on purpose.

I've called already and inquired if they are offering anyone the ability to change itineraries without penalty or fees and was told no.

Where the cruise departs from has no bearing on us....we can make it work. We just need the $5000 carnival has tied up on the Liberty to be released.

Edited by gone_cruisin

You know this for a fact? I would be surprised to find the reason for them not telling people who might be making final flight arrangements for a cruise that their cruise is cancelled because they do not know what they will be offering them

LIGHTEN UP what do you work for CCL.

Yes. But we would prefer taking any other cruise that same week. Our parents don't have the flexibility to take another cruise this year. So for us, it's looking more and more like we will be taking the refund and staying at home.

If your trip insurance has the clause that allows for cancellation for any reason, you could always invoke that now and book another cruise. At least you would get your vacation in. I feel badly for everyone who even has to agonize over what to do. Not how you want to spend the last few days leading up to any vacation!

You are right, we probably won't know until the last minute if we can sail or not. I have a plan b:D We are going to have a vacation either way. If we can sail that will be great but if not a week in Puerto Rico isn't a bad thing:D We will just stay at the hotel and sit on the beach sippin margaritas all week. Either way it's all good:D:D

Thats the spirit.

So what would be "fair" compensation? The situation IS and Carnival CAN'T change the results of what happened so they can't give passengers back a week in time past.

As I said earlier, I think Carnival has done everything that could be expected for those passengers. I'm not asking them to do more. I'm just expressing sympathy for their situation. I do think Carnival needs to announce a decision about the 9/13 sailing asap, so those cruisers can make the best decisions for themselves.

@gone_cruisin We are in the same boat as you. I've been to PR several times and my husband has no interest in going there (we are on the 9/13). Also there are no all inclusives in PR so the hotels that I just looked at came to the SAME price as my cruise yet I'd end up spending an extra $500+ on food and drinks. No thank you, we'll stay home. We have insurance and flexible vacation time so we can reschedule later in fall.

Did I miss something? All because the OP said he requested a Friday flight, it does not mean he would be staying on the ship until then. Carnival may very well put those guest in a hotel and sail back to SJ earlier with no one on board.

You are correct! I reread Pauley's post and it sounds like they are disembarking everyone today.

@gone_cruisin We are in the same boat as you. I've been to PR several times and my husband has no interest in going there (we are on the 9/13). Also there are no all inclusives in PR so the hotels that I just looked at came to the SAME price as my cruise yet I'd end up spending an extra $500+ on food and drinks. No thank you, we'll stay home. We have insurance and flexible vacation time so we can reschedule later in fall.

I wish you luck! I've been rallying carnival to release the info about the September 13th cruise, but I keep getting the standard response. As of this time, it is still scheduled to sail.

I'm crossing my fingers a week is enough time to fix the ship for our 20th cruise, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by gone_cruisin

I wish you luck! I've been rallying carnival to release the info about the September 13th cruise, but I keep getting the standard response. As of this time, it is still scheduled to sail.

I'm crossing my fingers a week is enough time to fix the ship for our 20th cruise, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that I think there's no way the 13th cruise sails as scheduled. Odds are much better for your trip on the 20th, but obviously it's not certain.

Sorry your vacation is cut short Pauley. Thanks for the ongoing information, it has been very helpful. Look forward to hearing additional info as it occurs. And, yes, do let us know as you progress to your home!

gonecruisin' and all of you sailing 9/13 - I feel really bad for you. I would be anxious, too, and those on this thread who choose to "bicker" with you should put themselves in your shoes. You are, understandably, just thinking the worst and maybe feeling a bit angry due to lack of information. Totally understandable. I hope you find out very soon. Maybe Carnival has pulled all the cruises leaving that week to offer those to any passengers who may be bumped from the 9/13 sailing. That's what I hope for you!

Edited by Florings

A previous person posted Carnival is telling people that the 9/13 cruise is still on as scheduled. I fully believe that if Carnival thought there was no way to sail on Sunday they would already have put out the announcement to those concerned. There would be no reason to drag it out if they know the damage is so extensive that Sunday's sailing was impossible. That means that the possibility still exists for there to be no cancellation of cruises (even if it may be small for 9/13). They don't want to cancel cruises for many obvious reasons so they are going to do everything in their power to be fully operational and cleared by the USCG for sailaway on Sunday. I'm an eternal optimist but I prefer to see the glass half full. I truly empathize with those scheduled on cruises 9/13 and 9/20 as I would be anxious to have an answer too but getting upset about it doesn't always make the answer come faster.

Carnival is doing a great job passing out water.

And you are doing a great job with your updates. Thank you. You think so logically and pass the information on so clearly.

(I am only on page 3 of your report, and there are 34 pages, so no doubt all the mystery is solved by now. I just don't want to "read the last page of the book" ahead of time.:))

Kathy

No insurance + non refundable flights (cruising on the cheap). = Week on a beach in SJ. We got our straw and ready to suck it up... (better then in then office)

A week in SJ sounds great to me; but if it doesn't to you, non-refundable flights can often be changed for a small fee. Maybe you could fly to another cruise port instead?

How can Carnival say they will or not be sailing? The right part replacement might be a quick fix so why jump the gun and cancel before they try the fix?

How can Carnival say they will or not be sailing? The right part replacement might be a quick fix so why jump the gun and cancel before they try the fix?

And if it's not? At what point do you stop getting people's hopes up? When do you realistically throw the towel in and say it's over?

3 days before the cruise? 1 day? How about as they show up at the pier the morning of?

This isn't like the airlines where they can keep delaying. Even the airlines are obligated to reaccommodate passengers on others flights. In this case, we are just being told, so sorry. Here's a refund, and a discount off a future cruise.

I'm not asking for money. I merely want the courtesy of a realistic option.

Edited by gone_cruisin