Advice please. Cruising with our little one.

Kynance103

Hi all, myself and my wife have cruised a couple of times with RC. My question is, next year we were thinking about booking a cruise in 2016 going on Indy. We would be taking our little one who will almost be 3 1/2 when we travel, We are going to book a balcony cabin and was wondering how other families have coped with the sleeping arrangements in the cabin ( what sort of cot is provided) and general live on board with a little one. Thank for any replies, advice given [emoji4][emoji4]

Hi all, myself and my wife have cruised a couple of times with RC. My question is, next year we were thinking about booking a cruise in 2016 going on Indy. We would be taking our little one who will almost be 3 1/2 when we travel, We are going to book a balcony cabin and was wondering how other families have coped with the sleeping arrangements in the cabin ( what sort of cot is provided) and general live on board with a little one. Thank for any replies, advice given [emoji4][emoji4]

No cot will be provided. Most likely the sofa will fold out to a sofa bed. Some ships do have a Pullman bed for 3 rd and 4th guest. The deckplanś all have symbols letting you know what the sleeping arrangements will be. The Indy has both options available

Edited by Ourusualbeach

They provide a pack and play if you request one, but in a balcony cabin - it will pretty much take up all of the floor area between the bed and the balcony. (Depending on the configuration.) We actually turned the couch around so that the seat was facing the wall and it made a little bed for our DD who was 2 1/2 last year. She loved it. It was like her own little fort. If your child feels a little old for a pack and play (which we used and HATED) then you can ask for a balcony cabin with a sofa bed. We found with the pack and play that we could barely even get to the balcony.

Make sure to check out Adventure Ocean - DD is very excited about being with other little ones while on the cruise.

Happy cruising.

A P&P is a playpen.... RCI doesn't do cribs. You will have to book a cabin that sleeps 3 even if you use a P&P...there must be a bed for every occupant,. Cabins that sleep 3 will have either a sofa bed or pullman...some will simply turn the sofa to face the wall and put a baby on the sofa, and use it as a crib.

a balcony is a great idea...gives you someplace to be when baby is down for the night or naps!

My favorite cabin advice for cruising with little ones, that I picked up on these forums, is to get some magnetic cup hooks, put them on the metallic ceiling, hang a fabric shower curtain on the hooks and voila, instant privacy!!

Also look at the special interest - family cruising forum, lots of great info.

Edited by artypharty

As said above sign up for adventure ocean on day 1 and get some daily alone time with your other half.Makes the cruise much more enjoyable.Our children begged us to go... Now they are 8 and 12.... 12 year old does her own thing by herself with friends and 8 yr old either wants to go to adventure ocean or swims all day with friends he makes.And we enjoy our cruise!

Oh and yes book a balcony,if your child still naps then you will be happy you did.Its like having a separate room....

Edited by rtazz17

A P&P is a playpen.... RCI doesn't do cribs. You will have to book a cabin that sleeps 3 even if you use a P&P...there must be a bed for every passenger.

This is not correct. We have cruised with our now 4 year old child 6 times when he was as young as 16 months.

We have only got a pullman when he got to three years old. The rest of the time we just had a double cabin with a pack and play. The third and fourth birth rooms were more expensive so we would get the lower category rooms that were doubles.

If they changed the policy that is new to me.

Hi All,

We will be sailing on Indy next year, there will be 5 of us, my wife, son, his wife and our grand daughter who will be 15 months old when we sail. We will be in a GS suite and and been informed that our grand daughter will get a cot/p&p.

Does anyone have photos of the p&p or a link to show one.

I also believe that the numbers of infants is restricted, does anyone know how many to.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Hi All,

We will be sailing on Indy next year, there will be 5 of us, my wife, son, his wife and our grand daughter who will be 15 months old when we sail. We will be in a GS suite and and been informed that our grand daughter will get a cot/p&p.

Does anyone have photos of the p&p or a link to show one.

I also believe that the numbers of infants is restricted, does anyone know how many to.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

The Pack and Play has sides like a Play Pen, but is similar in shape to a crib, just smaller. A 15 month old should have no problem sleeping in it. My grandson has no problems, he is a big 16 month old.

The Royal Tots and infants program does take limited numbers of children. As soon as you board the ship, go to the nursery and sign up for the hours you want. As the cruise progresses, more days and times will become available. We have been pretty lucky that there have not been too many infants/tots on board with us and we've had no problems getting all the times we wanted.

We are going on the Liberty this month with our DD, DSiL and 15 month old granddaughter. We wanted connecting balcony staterooms. Our TA went around and around with RCL to find appropriate cabins (in a deck/location that I liked!). It turns out (after several calls with RCL) that there is a requirement that a 15 month old be in a cabin with tie-downs in the floor for a pack and play (tiny crib). We know that our granddaughter will be sleeping between her parents in their bed, but RCL said the cabin must have those tie-downs even if we didn't want RCL to furnish a pack and pay. A Coast Guard reg????

So my advice for a 3 1/2 yr old (who would probably be too big for a pack and play): make sure RCL knows that your child is too old for a pack and play so that they don't limit you to the few cabins that would have the tie downs.

We did finally find appropriate cabins and are looking forward to a great cruise.. If we come up with any tips for cruising with little ones, we'll post when we return.

The child must be potty trained for Adventure Ocean 3-5 yr old area (no pull ups). If not the child will be with the younger kids 18 months to 36 months. No pull ups allowed in pools.

No diapers in pools/h2o is a joke. We just got off Indy on Sunday and I can tell you that on any given day there were 5-10 diaper wearers in the h2o zone and pool. The pool attendants didn't seem to care one bit although one day he walked passed 2 kids that were no more than 1 year old and clearly in diapers in the h2o zone to ask someone sitting by us if their nearly 4 year old had a diaper on. The lady said "no he doesn't" but what about those 2 you just walked past? He shrugged his shoulders and walked off. There were plenty of Asian families filming their little one in diapers in the h2o/pool zone with their gopros. I heard someone say to a family I heard speaking perfect English multiple times that their child should not be in the pool they claimed they didn't speak English. Attendants never said a word to them.