what's your favorite place for dinner in Condado area?

BoopTennis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been doing some research on this for my upcoming trip in October. It seems that people seem to enjoy Ropa Vieja or Casa Lola for dinner and Hacienda Don Jose for breakfast.

Hope that helps!

sirfuller: upon your return from your cruise, let me know where you ended up going for dinner in the Condado area pre-cruise and any other good info! we will be there in a couple months! thank you

On our most recent cruise, we ate at Ropa Vieja the night before our cruise. The service was great, but the food was what really shined. Everything we ordered had such flavor to it. We started off with the black bean risotto which was insanely good. For entres our group had their creole shrimp and a rice dish with fish in it (cant remember the exact name). All in all it was an excellent meal!

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

My husband and i will be in San Juan on my birthday in January (aboard Anthem of the Seas - 3pm to 11pm). We are looking for a nice dinner venue to celebrate... i have looked into a few of the suggestions here but i am wondering if anyone has tried the Old Harbour Brewery? We love to try different beer and wondered if the food was good here.

Thanks in advance

Happy cruising

brenna

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

My husband and i will be in San Juan on my birthday in January (aboard Anthem of the Seas - 3pm to 11pm). We are looking for a nice dinner venue to celebrate... i have looked into a few of the suggestions here but i am wondering if anyone has tried the Old Harbour Brewery? We love to try different beer and wondered if the food was good here.

Thanks in advance

Happy cruising

brenna

I wouldn't recommend it for a special event, I'm afraid. We are also craft beer geeks so have checked it out on several occasions. The one time we had dinner there I remember my steak being flavorless (like it had been in the freezer for far too long) and full of gristle. Even the burgers and lunch sandwiches have been so-so. If you want to check out beers you may not have tried, there's a pizza place tucked into El Convento that has a decent selection, and Taberna Lupulo which has a fantastic selection but has odd hours. We haven't eaten there, but based on the ambiance, I don't think it'd be "special".

There are a ton of nice restaurants on South Fortaleza (SoFo). The two I remember most favorably are Dragonfly and 311 (Trois Cent Onze). But you can walk along SoFo and "window shop" their menus to help you decide.

On our most recent cruise, we ate at Ropa Vieja the night before our cruise. The service was great, but the food was what really shined. Everything we ordered had such flavor to it. We started off with the black bean risotto which was insanely good. For entres our group had their creole shrimp and a rice dish with fish in it (cant remember the exact name). All in all it was an excellent meal!

Hi, I just googled this place and it looks awesome:D......I am sailing

out of San Juan next month and may have try it pre-cruise:)...the

menu is making me hungry;)

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed for a week in Condado a few months back for business (the La Concha Renaissance is a wonderful hotel!). A few of the places that I really enjoyed:

Parcela Gastropub - Hands-down my favorite restaurant in the area. It's not large - I would guess it seats maybe 20-30 people - but the food is absolutely amazing. Everything is fresh and made in-house, and their menu is posted on a big chalkboard that changes frequently. If you are a fan of craft cocktails I can especially recommend Parcela. The bartender was extremely knowledgeable and their cocktail menu was a knockout.

di Parma Trattoria - Pizza in San Juan? Sure, why not. The food was good, but the best part was enjoying the open-air patio near the beach, which fronts on a lovely park. I really enjoyed this place for lunch.

The Boutique Cafe and Lounge - This is what I refer to as a "Yelp special": I never would have found this place without guidance from Yelp! It is a block off Avenida Ashford and the look of the place from the outside is...not promising to an average tourist. However, the staff was wonderfully friendly and helpful, and I had some dynamite fish tacos for lunch there.

Crush Juice Bar - This is a great place to have breakfast like a local. The local specialty is the acia bowl, which is a scoop of acai sorbet accompanied by a variety of fresh fruit and toppings (peanut butter? Sure, why not!).

Punk Burger Bistro Bar - This place is a bit spartan but lives up to its punk aesthetic. True to their name they have a variety of interesting and tasty burgers, and some really great breakfast options as well (including the aforementioned acai bowls). This isn't a place to go to if you're in a hurry or are expecting a fancy meal, but it is inexpensive and tasty food!

(I also ate at Oceano's, which was just OK, but I'm glad the company was paying! Also Casa Lola was all right if you want to try the local specialty, mofongo. The rest of the menu wasn't particularly exciting.)

I hope this helps!

It is very small and we had to wait a long time in the rain on Dec. 30, 2013. It was our first time there but will not be our last. We had our two grandaughters with it and they loved it. I remeber I had something very safe to eat Hubby on the other hand is more daring. He went for the trifongo needless to say, I always try his food to make sure he likes it. (We all know I just want to see if I like it.) This is how it ended I was getting the evil stink eye and it turned into a fork fight over his food. The grandaughters even tried to eat his food.

We are going on a cruise in Dec. and will be in San Juan. We are going back and I'm going to get my own!!!!!! I can't wait my mouth is watering thinking about it. Orozco's is the best. Doxie

I stayed for a week in Condado a few months back for business (the La Concha Renaissance is a wonderful hotel!). A few of the places that I really enjoyed:

Parcela Gastropub - Hands-down my favorite restaurant in the area. It's not large - I would guess it seats maybe 20-30 people - but the food is absolutely amazing. Everything is fresh and made in-house, and their menu is posted on a big chalkboard that changes frequently. If you are a fan of craft cocktails I can especially recommend Parcela. The bartender was extremely knowledgeable and their cocktail menu was a knockout.

di Parma Trattoria - Pizza in San Juan? Sure, why not. The food was good, but the best part was enjoying the open-air patio near the beach, which fronts on a lovely park. I really enjoyed this place for lunch.

The Boutique Cafe and Lounge - This is what I refer to as a "Yelp special": I never would have found this place without guidance from Yelp! It is a block off Avenida Ashford and the look of the place from the outside is...not promising to an average tourist. However, the staff was wonderfully friendly and helpful, and I had some dynamite fish tacos for lunch there.

Crush Juice Bar - This is a great place to have breakfast like a local. The local specialty is the acia bowl, which is a scoop of acai sorbet accompanied by a variety of fresh fruit and toppings (peanut butter? Sure, why not!).

Punk Burger Bistro Bar - This place is a bit spartan but lives up to its punk aesthetic. True to their name they have a variety of interesting and tasty burgers, and some really great breakfast options as well (including the aforementioned acai bowls). This isn't a place to go to if you're in a hurry or are expecting a fancy meal, but it is inexpensive and tasty food!

(I also ate at Oceano's, which was just OK, but I'm glad the company was paying! Also Casa Lola was all right if you want to try the local specialty, mofongo. The rest of the menu wasn't particularly exciting.)

I hope this helps!

Yikes....so many choices, so little time;)...Parcela looks REALLY good.

Marmalade was very good, but out best meal in San Juan was at the Ropa Vieja Grill! The mofongo was fantastic!

Google shows Parcela Gastropub as "permanently closed" on 11/7/15

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

Thanks in advance

Happy cruising

brenna

I suggest 311 on (sofo) as well as dragonfly.

311 is unique, special, and intimate ( I got engaged there)

We celebrated with friends that live in SJ the next night at dragonfly. It's upbeat and lively- good food and service.

Enjoy !!!!

• 4 months later...
Google shows Parcela Gastropub as "permanently closed" on 11/7/15

Just to follow up on this (and remind folks of an outstanding restaurant), I am pleased to report that when I was in San Juan last week I found that Parcela is very much open and operating!