Medical evacuation

aunteemom

We use Travelex Insurance because I do prefer a company that acts as the primary provider. This way I don't have to waste time filing paperwork.

Typically we get $100,00 per person but some go with plans that are $50,000 per person.

This covers all medical related expenses including evacuation.

When we travel to more remote places we get Med Jet but we don't for Europe.

Keith

The policies I've looked at define those limits for you. For instance you may get $100,00 medical and $250,00 evacuation. If I remember correctly, those are the minimum amounts recommended by the insurance website SquareMouth. Other agents I've talked to would not prescribe a specific amount. I guess they did not want to be blamed if someone took their advice then needed more.

How much medical and medical evacuation do you purchase for Europe cruise travel. Do u recommend any particular company. Do you use only companies where they r primary insurers.

Look at Medjet Assist. You don't need to concern yourself with "How much" to purchase. They take care of your evacuation if you need it, to where you want to go...

How much medical and medical evacuation do you purchase for Europe cruise travel. Do u recommend any particular company. Do you use only companies where they r primary insurers.

I purchased a policy that has $100,000 medical and a whopping $1,000,000 evacuation; upgraded to primary and the total cost was $74. (look-back for PEC's was 60 days). I zero'd out the trip cost (I have a credit card with coverage) and that saved money.

Medical and evacuation were my biggest coverage concerns so I really looked and compared coverages before deciding what was best for me. You really have to prioritize and get what gives YOU peace of mind.

Sandie

Ivanna....please read that policy very carefully to see who has to agree to evacuate you home and under what conditions. I think you'll find that the hospital and insurance company have to agree that you can't be treated at that remote hospital before they will evacuate you. Compare to medjet where you request the evacuation and the only agreement you need is that you are medically ok to fly. Very big difference there.

Edited by ghstudio

Ivanna....please read that policy very carefully to see who has to agree to evacuate you home and under what conditions. I think you'll find that the hospital and insurance company have to agree that you can't be treated at that remote hospital before they will evacuate you. Compare to medjet where you request the evacuation and the only agreement you need is that you are medically ok to fly. Very big difference there.

This can be quite different from a local hospital/medical staff who declare that they can treat you just fine where you are...

Also, the "medically ok to fly" for MedJetAssist means that you are stable enough to be evacuated in a medevac-type of plane, with medical personnel at your side as needed, not just some commercial flight.

And you get to choose which hospital you wish to be taken to.

However, you must be admitted as an inpatient in a hospital (not just getting ER treatment, for example) for MedJetAssist coverage to apply.

And you must be in a hospital at least 150 miles from home.

All other medical care and/or transport to get you to that "inpatient" situation need to be covered by other insurance or your own money.

We now keep an annual policy, so it covers short or long trips, vacation, business, or whatever.

GeezerCouple