Big expansion plans for Port of Miami

LMaxwell

This is really good news.

I've sailed out of Miami, Baltimore, Galveston, Fort Lauderdale, Honolulu, Colon, San Juan, and Vancouver. NOTHING beats a sail-away from Miami.

That wonderful extended sail along the causeway with the music pumping on the pool deck and a fun tropical drink in your hand is so festive. People driving along the causeway are waving you off and sharing your excitement. I'm just sorry that you have to go on a short cruise now to get to experience that wonderful send-off.

I thought it was unfortunate that they spent all the money on the tunnel and then RCI had moved all the ships elsewhere. I kept thinking that POM was going to have to do something to encourage them to start using it again.

As for getting to Miami, I just chose the best airfare to either FLL or MIA (I've always had a good experience with the shared shuttle from MIA).

This is really good news.

I've sailed out of Miami, Baltimore, Galveston, Fort Lauderdale, Honolulu, Colon, San Juan, and Vancouver. NOTHING beats a sail-away from Miami.

That wonderful extended sail along the causeway with the music pumping on the pool deck and a fun tropical drink in your hand is so festive. People driving along the causeway are waving you off and sharing your excitement. I'm just sorry that you have to go on a short cruise now to get to experience that wonderful send-off.

I thought it was unfortunate that they spent all the money on the tunnel and then RCI had moved all the ships elsewhere. I kept thinking that POM was going to have to do something to encourage them to start using it again.

As for getting to Miami, I just chose the best airfare to either FLL or MIA (I've always had a good experience with the shared shuttle from MIA).

So how do you transfer from FLL to the Port of Miami? The last time we did it (which was some time ago now) it cost around $70.00. Until Southwest starts flying to MIA I don't have a choice in airports.

And I do think the folks in the condos as you sail out of Port Everglades do a really nice job of giving the ships send offs.:)

So how do you transfer from FLL to the Port of Miami? The last time we did it (which was some time ago now) it cost around $70.00. Until Southwest starts flying to MIA I don't have a choice in airports.

And I do think the folks in the condos as you sail out of Port Everglades do a really nice job of giving the ships send offs.:)

I took the shared tri-county shuttle ... it was 18/pp. And the condo was nice ... but it's a fleeting thing. Not like the extended sail along the causeway -- people waving out their sun roof, kids hanging out the back window waving, people sitting in lawn chairs outside their big fancy homes waving ... and at the end of the causeway, fishermen on the breakwall and people on the beach waving. It's like they are part of your little party. All that's missing is the confetti and the streamers we got to use when I did that very first sail-away from Miami on the Sovereign.:)

Edited by emeraldcity

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-plans-huge-new-portmiami-cruise-terminal.html

They do not expect Port Everglades to be a loser with the future growth at Miami.

Zeiger called the plans a vote of confidence for South Florida, adding that he doesn't anticipate any port to be a loser in a situation like this in view of the company's newbuild orderbook. Royal Caribbean has a 'really great relationship with Port Everglades,' which was 'able to execute for Oasis and Allure,' he noted, in building the $75m Terminal 18.

'It feels good when we can grow anywhere and make an economic impact. It feels especially good when it's in our hometown,' Zeiger added.

Royal has plenty of ships to keep both ports busy. As the cruise market to Cuba opens up, it will give new itineraries life and add to the interest to keep more ships in Miami and hopefully for 7 day cruises.

As I always fly in at least the day prior to a cruise, I find transport in the South Florida region very easy with rental car.

I use a big box store website starting with C if I want Alamo, Avis or Budget or use a Marriott CDP if I want Hertz. I have paid between $12 and $70 for 4 hour to overnight 23 hour one way rentals.

I always take my luggage to the ship with my rental, have no problem with last minute shopping and enjoy having access to the car.

All rental car companies now charge the $9 Sun Pass express and toll daily fee to your credit card and those routes and express lanes make travel in the region very quick and easy.

I sometimes use the Courtyard by Marriott in Miami that have a $5 shuttle to the ship or I return the Budget or Avis car across the street and take the free shuttle or take a $10 taxi to the port.

As long as Southwest Airlines flies only into Fort Lauderdale and not into Miami, I and a lot of other people will not be happy about sailing out of Miami.

I have sailed out of Miami quite a few times, and it is very inconvenient and much more expensive.

Couldn't agree more ! Flights for us to Miami are horrendous and very expensive compared to FLL or MCO. Cruising out of Miami just doesn't work for us .

The Miami-Dade commissioners have approved the memorandum of understanding with RCI and the Terminal A development will now move forward with the expected completion remaining mid-2018.

Including the $100 direct investment in the terminal and parking facility, the agreement is valued at $250 million for the port.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/green-light-for-portmiami-royal-caribbean-mou.html

I'm glad I checked for this topic before posting. This will be an interesting story to follow for awhile. Miami isn't the most convenient or economical port for us to sail out of, but I sure enjoy it. 4 out of 5 of my first cruises where out of there and sure I'm a bit nostalgic over it. Fort Lauderdale is easier and now Ive also cruised out of Tampa and Port Canaveral. Now to check the rest of this thread and discuss!

I'm with you BillOh. Our first 2 cruises were out of Miami. On the first we stayed the night before in FFL, the next one we got a great hotel deal in Miami. I've missed sail from there so I'm excited to go back.

Thanks for posting. I did not expect them to state that 'the majority of our business will shift to Miami in the future'

I hope that prior statements are correct and that they will keep a healthy presence at Port Everglades as well.

I really don't understand all the fuss about more ships out of POM, and issues with flights. It's only 30 or so minutes from FLL to POM (well, OK, I drive it every day and I drive fast).. but still there are plenty of affordable transportation options to POM if you want to fly into FLL, and it's way more interesting to spend a night in South Beach over Fort Lauderdale, IMHO, if you're the fly-in-the-day-before type.

If you fly out of Port Canaveral, it's more than 30 minutes from Orlando airport to the port.

In fact there are plenty of desirable ports where they are more than a 30 minute trip from the nearest major airport.

I really don't understand all the fuss about more ships out of POM, and issues with flights. It's only 30 or so minutes from FLL to POM (well, OK, I drive it every day and I drive fast).. but still there are plenty of affordable transportation options to POM if you want to fly into FLL, and it's way more interesting to spend a night in South Beach over Fort Lauderdale, IMHO, if you're the fly-in-the-day-before type.

If you fly out of Port Canaveral, it's more than 30 minutes from Orlando airport to the port.

In fact there are plenty of desirable ports where they are more than a 30 minute trip from the nearest major airport.

I don't mind sailing out of Miami. I think the problem is that flying into Miami is more expensive than FLL. I know it is only 30 mins away, but I think that is one of the reasons why Port Everglades is popular.

FYI- Orlando is 60 minutes from PC, and I think some have said that Miami is more $$ to fly into, and then you have up to $50+ to get a cab to PE..BUT,if RCI puts a large ship in POM ( Voyager class, Freedom class, Oasis or Quantum class) in there, then flying to Miami makes sense, and yes, I agree the sailaway out of Miami is sensational, although all those maniacs in the condos along the PE harbour blasting horns & screaming makes it interesting ..PC is pretty boring & tame going out..pretty, but boring...

I know Adam G said the majority of business will switch from FLL to POM. Anyone have any details on what ships would move to POM from FLL or are they just adding a large volume to POM. Would love to use POM to do a southern. Much cheaper to fly to Miami than San Juan.

That is part of why Port Everglades and San Juan are my ports of choice to sail from. And the 45-60 minutes from Orlando to Port Canaveral is one reason I don't sail out of there any longer. We did it once and not again.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I know Adam G said the majority of business will switch from FLL to POM. Anyone have any details on what ships would move to POM from FLL or are they just adding a large volume to POM. Would love to use POM to do a southern. Much cheaper to fly to Miami than San Juan.

Where did AG say this. He said they were not leaving PE, but the majority of their business would be in Miami. They have 22 ships + not counting X and the others they own, and only a few sail out of PE, so there are plenty left to come to Miami from other parts of the world. I fully expect an O class in each of the major east coast Florida ports now as stated earlier in the thread.

Where did AG say this. He said they were not leaving PE, but the majority of their business would be in Miami. They have 22 ships + not counting X and the others they own, and only a few sail out of PE, so there are plenty left to come to Miami from other parts of the world. I fully expect an O class in each of the major east coast Florida ports now as stated earlier in the thread.

Maybe they want to put an Oasis/Freedom in each of the 3 big terminals for Saturday/Sunday departure

Agreed! I thought the drive from FLL to Miami was nice and relatively easy.

Do you have a link to an article that shows Adam G stating that the majority of business will switch from FLL to POM? Without that link, I think people are reading more into the expansion of POM and Royals investment into the project.

Both ports will have plenty of ships for cruisers to choose from. I personally would love a ship to sail from POM on a S. Caribbean route, it would mean NO airfare for me at all.

Do you have a link to an article that shows Adam G stating that the majority of business will switch from FLL to POM? Without that link, I think people are reading more into the expansion of POM and Royals investment into the project.

Both ports will have plenty of ships for cruisers to choose from. I personally would love a ship to sail from POM on a S. Caribbean route, it would mean NO airfare for me at all.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article35465178.html

I think the wording can be taken either way. They will still sail from FLL, but more business going to POM. Unclear whether that means that business comes out of FLL or other ports.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article35465178.html

I think the wording can be taken either way. They will still sail from FLL, but more business going to POM. Unclear whether that means that business comes out of FLL or other ports.

He clearly states that POM will see a dramatic increase of booked passengers on their line, of 20%. He also clearly states that PE is going to be a part of their sailing strategy. They will have even more ships on the seas in a few years, and with more place to put them. Good for cruisers, is my sense.

He clearly states that POM will see a dramatic increase of booked passengers on their line, of 20%. He also clearly states that PE is going to be a part of their sailing strategy. They will have even more ships on the seas in a few years, and with more place to put them. Good for cruisers, is my sense.

I too would like to see more southern routes from Miami; no airfare! Yes, more ships coming, but they have to break up the stale eastern/western merry go round itineraries or it could become an issue.

They started out doing 12 and 14 day cruises; maybe they are seeing a lot of B2B cruisers, or people who said they would be B2B'ers if itineraries changed; or they want a bigger slice of the retiring boomer market that has a bit more time and money to go to a little less tourist trap places?

I think it is all good. Good for customer choice. Good for the company. Good for Florida. :cool::cool: