Early flight after docking?

gordylad

Easily. Well unless there's some hang-up with customs, but you probably can be off much much earlier.

You must self-disembark and that means you have to handle your luggage yourself. OK. They'll tell you a time to meet and what deck on the ship. Whatever that time is, back up about 45 minutes to an hour and get down there then. Why? Others will do the same thing. Your luggage will be your place in line. If you wait until the appointed time to gather, then there will already be about 100 sets of luggage in line.

You'll walk out, maybe having to go down stairs or up stairs. You can do it in tandem (we do as we usually have a set of golf clubs and carry ons plus two big suitcases). Unless you happen to be standing right next to the elevators when they announce it's "go time" I suggest avoiding them. They're packed and hard to get that morning. Just do the stairs. If you're lucky you won't have to do stairs at all. We've had it both ways.

Normally we do this out of Ft. Lauderdale but we're typically at the airport by about 8:00 a.m. for a 10:15-ish flight. I can't imagine it would be much different for MIA.

If you sail into Miami, no problem.

It is no problem if US Customs is working at full staff. It is not problem is there is not an accident holding up traffic near the pier or airport. It is not a problem if the ship is late due to either mechanical or weather issues.

It is no problem if everything goes according to plan.

Why worry? Just take a later flight or enjoy Florida for a day and relax.

We really need more information

What day of the week?

US flight or international?

Any airline status that would speed up your check in?

Able to carry all your luggage with no assistance?

Let's start with those.

Since the OPs next listed cruise is the Reflection TA in October I am guessing that is the cruise. I haven't done a westbound TA in a few years but thought I read that debarkation can often take longer than say a Caribbean cruise.

Definitely takes a while to disembark as the is a complete US Customs check of all of the crew before anyone disembarks. Think USHS does some checks and probably some other agencies as well. Probably first people off about after 6am if ship actually docks at 4am.

Also are delays in boarding and the Coast Guard must do an full ship inspection before anyone boards. Usually takes about 4 hours depending on how many people they send nad if the demand the check be 100% complete before boarding begins.

Normally yes you can make it. But I'd have a back up plan if coming from overseas especially. It can take longer than normal to clear the ship.

So.....yes you certainly could make it. BUT ...you need to hope there is not any delays and I would make sure I was in the first group or two off OR self carry and be off before the assigned groups. once off the ship, you still need to deal with the airport procedurals.

The longest lines I have ever experienced at a port is getting through customs at Port of Miami. On one occasion, many passengers missed their flights due to waiting in line.

The longest lines I have experienced at an airport anywhere in the world is Miami! Between the two, I would book a much later flight.

On a good note, the taxi ride is usually quick.