Two shore excursions on same day?

dan801

Some shore days the ship arrives very early and leaves late. It seems one should be able to fit in two shorter excursions into one day. What's the general consensus. For example Ketchikan we were looking at doing a plane fligh-over. That only takes 2-3 hours do we have time for another tour? I'm not sure how the timing works. Do the excursions generally always depart shortly after the ship arrives or do some leave later in the afternoon. How do we find out the times. We are going with Princess cruises - 7 night Alaska. We cruises plenty before but always done full day tours so it's never something we considered.

Doing two tours in one day is doable but can create a very tight schedule. Things to consider are start times of each tours, time between tours and the ships schedule. What will happen if the first tour runs a little late? Also what about food and any medical considerations? Ketchikan is usually a fairlt short day so look on your itinerary to see how long you are in port.

Tours usually start about 45 minutes o an hour after docking. Enjoy your cruise.

Tours usually start about 45 minutes to an hour after docking. Enjoy your cruise.

Some tours can start 45 minutes after arrival. But as the OP is implying, tours can be spread out over the day in port.

Cruise lines sometimes schedule multiple editions of the same tours, like, for example, 9 am, 10am, 12, etc. You should get a choice of start times on these multiple offerings, to help you with possibly doing 2 tours in a port visit. Cruise lines will sometimes suggest to assure a safe period between tours, like 45 minutes. However, you will be losing the money if your second tour is missed. For example we had a 4 hour tour (which started 3 hours after our arrival) last just over 5 hours, which might have caused us to miss another tour, if we had one scheduled.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I was on HAL remember stacking my excursions.... (Best of Ketchikan w/ a pricy ship tour).

My relatives did something similar with an early crab tour w/ a late flight tour.

Plan a few hours contingency for comfort and you'll be fine.

Just remember if the weather is stormy.... you might find yourself in trouble missing the second tour or the ship departing.

Of course you can do as many tours as you wish, depending on your time. I do so ALL the time. I'm never one to think- well did "one" tour- I'm done- ummmm guess I'll go back to the ship. :) Nope- I take advantage of all the time I can, my priority. There are tours available ALL day long.

Key- is to KNOW what you are doing and how to schedule properly. ALWAYS inform vendors of your plans when you need to transfer between them, and they are closer than 2 hours hours between tours.

Take as many tours as you wish. I don't Alaska cruise to "relax". :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Also, some of the private tour vendors will coordinate their excursions with one another and arrange transportation from one to the other for you.

Just ask them.

For example, in Juneau you may book with a whale watching company that will drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier afterwards, or coordinate your whale watching trip with one of the flightseeing companies so that you can go from a scenic glacier flight to a whale watching excursion, or vice versa.

Thanks for asking this question - I plan on doing this in Ketchikan too, the Deadliest Catch (seems to be 11 am but might be restricted due to late season now and next season not up yet) and then an afternoon (3.30pm) flight. Ship departs at 6pm. Might book the flight through the ship line just in case.