Carnegie Deli

casandbliz

We are spending a few days in New York next week prior to our cruise and wanted to go to Carnegie Deli. Their website says it is closed due to "upgrading their energy supply lines".

Any recommendations for another NY deli if they are still closed when we get there?

We are spending a few days in New York next week prior to our cruise and wanted to go to Carnegie Deli. Their website says it is closed due to "upgrading their energy supply lines".

Any recommendations for another NY deli if they are still closed when we get there?

Yes hope they reopen, really hated that Stage closed. Lindy's is only a couple of blocks from Carnegie on 7th and 52nd or so. Also Juniors is a very good deli on 44th and Broadway, both have good Pastrami etc.

Wonder what's up with Carnegie's-what did they do to have to go to court??

They had an illegal gas hookup for starters, which has yet to be resolved. This is a sensitive subject here, since a restaurant with a similar hookup blew up in March in the East Village, killed two people, and burned down half a block of apartments.The business is also part of an incredibly ugly and complicated divorce and alimony fight. I will be pleasantly surprised if it ever reopens. I think Junior's is probably a better choice than Lindy's (which has absolutely no connection to the original, which was famous for its cheesecake) or the nearby Benash Deli, but for really good NY pastrami, corned beef, etc., I suggest either Katz's (205 E Houston Street--my first choice) or, if you don't want to travel that far, the Second Avenue Deli (no longer on 2nd Avenue---long story) at 162 East 33rd Street.

Edited by Langoustine

They had an illegal gas hookup for starters, which has yet to be resolved. This is a sensitive subject here, since a restaurant with a similar hookup blew up in March in the East Village, killed two people, and burned down half a block of apartments.The business is also part of an incredibly ugly and complicated divorce and alimony fight. I will be pleasantly surprised if it ever reopens. I think Junior's is probably a better choice than Lindy's (which has absolutely no connection to the original, which was famous for its cheesecake) or the nearby Benash Deli, but for really good NY pastrami, corned beef, etc., I suggest either Katz's (205 E Houston Street--my first choice) or, if you don't want to travel that far, the Second Avenue Deli (no longer on 2nd Avenue---long story) at 162 East 33rd Street.

I like both Lindy's and Juniors and went to both on last visit, but never knew that Lindy's had nothing to do with the original. Thanks for info ( will continue to go there since its a block from Michelangelo where we always stay)

Here's the story about Lindy's: It was opened by Leo "Lindy" Lindermann in 1921 and was located at 1626 Broadway, between 49th and 50th Streets. The original Lindy's closed in 1957. A second location was opened at 1655 Broadway in 1929, and that closed in 1969. The musical "Guys and Dolls" immortalized Lindy's in one of its songs, where Nathan Detroit and Sky Masterson sang praises to its cheesecake. The "Lindy's" name and concept was resurrected in 1979 by the Riese Organization, New York City restaurant operators, who determined that the name had fallen into the public domain. Think of it as the ax George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree: since George owned it, it's had three new handles and two new heads. The Riese brothers (both now dead) built an empire of about 110 eating places in New York, including franchises of such fast-food chains as Dunkin' Donuts, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Roy Rogers. Holding leases on many of the busiest sites in Manhattan in terms of pedestrian traffic, its existence is based on the hoary adage that the three most valuable factors in real estate are "location, location, and location."

Edited by Langoustine

I suggest making the effort- it's not difficult riding buses and subways, and enjoy Katzs. :)

Surely you aren't going to just stay in Times Square during your stay?

I highly recommend Free Tours by Foot, a wonderful organization doing great tours. You tip what you want.

They especially run some excellent food tours. (I've taken them all, with several repeats :) )

Surely you aren't going to just stay in Times Square during your stay?)

I'm so happy that someone else brought this up. Having lived here since 1973, I now find Times Square to be among the least interesting areas in Manhattan---especially lately, when you are surrounded by foul-mouthed Elmos and---now---the desnudas. My wife and I live two blocks west of TS in the now-genteel Hell's Kitchen area, and the only time I go near TS is when I have to go to either Actors' Equity at 165 W. 46th or the New York Public Library at 40th & 5th Avenue. There are so many much more interesting places for visitors to experience in the city, but so few of them do.

Edited by Langoustine

I disagree on times square area, so much in walking distance we do NYC every year for about 4 days and many years do not ever get in a taxi or subway

Broadway shows- went to 5 great play in 5 days in May

Rockefeller center

Some real great Jazz such as Birdland

Great restaurants and bars

Central park

Also normally street festivals in the area

Not saying I do not love rest of the city but love this area

I disagree on times square area, so much in walking distance we do NYC every year for about 4 days and many years do not ever get in a taxi or subway

Rockefeller center

Central park

I have never been to NY, and my husband went once as a teenager. So....we are doing lots of touristy things (theater, Rockefeller Center, biking in Central Park, 911 Memorial, Circle Line cruise). We have our days planned out, with breakfast places, pizza, and a deli on the agenda. We plan on walking to most places, with a subway ride here or there. Also, very interested in walking in TS, just for the experience. Can't fit everything in that we wanted to see, will just have to make another trip.

Rockefeller center

Central park

Yes, but most of that does NOT require staying or even spending much time in Times Square. Yes, the theaters are in the area, but there are great restaurants across the town. Great neighborhood places in Midtown East, well away from Times Square. Rockefeller Center is only blocks away from hotels on Lexington. Central Park is about the same distance from Times Square or Midtown East.

My wife and I, between us, average 5-6 trips to Manhattan a year. If I'm alone, I NEVER go to Times Square, and have a great time. Together, we walk through on our way to John's for pizza, and she occasionally drags me to M&M World. Otherwise, we avoid it like the plague unless we're catching a show.

I almost wish it were the 70's and 80's again where at least the place had character! (Cue Art Garfunkel's great line from "The Boxer"...)

And to the OP, since you've never done it, walking through Times Square is an experience and you'll enjoy it. I simply know no New Yorkers who will willingly go through the place!