Tips how much extra?

flarocket

This is my second time on Carnival and i plan on tipping extra for the wonderful service that is given. As i am not a very experienced traveler and usually just go camping, im not so sure how much and to whom.

So for a 6 night on the Breeze what and who would you tip extra.

trying to plan how much small bill to take with us.

Thanks

Beyond my regular gratuities, I will pay extra for exceptional service, and find that on Carnival, you do often get exceptional service. I have paid between 10.00 and 20.00 extra per individual, and it has always been graciously accepted. I think that anything extra is always appreciated by the hard working crew.

You will have some who will tell you they tip 50.00 extra or more, but dont let that make you feel cheap. The crew will always appreciate anything extra in cash, and no matter how much, it will be welcomed.

Always tip the porter at the port. They usually say $1 a bag, but I usually slip him a minimum of $5 per bag.

Room service, always tip $5.

I usually give an extra $20 to our server at dinner, $10 to his/her assistant. I don't understand tipping the maitre'd because I never see them throughout the entire cruise.

Anyone that brings me something that I have to sign for (bartender, waiter/waitress, etc.), I usually add a couple bucks when they bring me the slip to sign -- get better service. However, I add $10 for steakhouse server.

As for the room steward, if I don't see them as I am leaving, I usually leave an extra $20 on the desk.

Yes, I know, I over-tip. However, if you have ever worked in the hospitality business, you will do the same.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

Yes, I know, I over-tip. However, if you have ever worked in the hospitality business, you will do the same.

Nothing wrong with over-tipping.

So how do you go about tipping? Just handing it to them at the end? Can I increase my gratuities and have it automatically handed out? If I tip these same people throughout the whole cruise, do you think it would be ok to not seek them out at the end to give an extra lump?

I'm an over-tipper too but can totally see myself missing an opportunity to tip in person at the end.

do not add it to the ships gratuities, they will never get it. Tip in cash, with a smile and a handshake. We always give our room steward a $20 at intro, asking for extra pillows and a full ice bucket. I tell him take care of us and give him another $20 at the end. Food service is a tough one, if the MDR staff is great I will give server $20 and helper $10. We always tip the cocktail servers a couple a bucks, they seem to find your spot at the pool more often

do not add it to the ships gratuities, they will never get it. Tip in cash, with a smile and a handshake. We always give our room steward a $20 at intro, asking for extra pillows and a full ice bucket. I tell him take care of us and give him another $20 at the end. Food service is a tough one, if the MDR staff is great I will give server $20 and helper $10. We always tip the cocktail servers a couple a bucks, they seem to find your spot at the pool more often

They won't get it? Does that mean they don't really get the automatic gratuities either?? i hope not. I'll definitely tip in person then.

Always tip more in cash. Steward gets $20 first day as stated above and another $20-50 at end.

I do anytime dining so that one is tough, just tip as I go.

Specialty restaurants always at least an additional 20%

Room service $5

Drinks - always add a couple of $$

Spa - it depends on the quality of service 18% is auto added so I usually add another $20 if I leave happy (which is 99% of the time)

Coffee bar - add a buck or two and on many occasions I go back on the last night and give my favorite barista an extra $10/

Porter, $5 per bag

In that case we should all cancel our Auto Grats, shouldn't we????

If the Hard Working Staff aren't getting it?

Oh no! don't cancel the daily gratuity! We are talking about additional tips for those who go above and beyond that you have direct contact with that you want to give a little extra to. There are crew members who you never see who depend on the daily tips too. As another poster said, any amount is appreciated. I am just a chronic overtipper after 20 years in the hospitality biz :rolleyes:

We give the room steward $20-$50 but on the last night. Bartenders/servers that we get good service from get an extra $1-$5 on the receipt if we don't have Cheers. If we have Cheers we tip at least an extra $1 everytime and more to exceptional ones. At the end of the cruise there is usually 1 or 2 bartenders that we really had a good time with and they get extra cash on the last night. And I guess we are in the minority but we have yet to tip in the diningroom. The service is usually fine, but has never been above and beyond. They do their jobs and are friendly and they get the highest percentage of the automatic gratuities anyway. I have just never felt the need. Maybe we just haven't had the level of service others have had.

We give the room steward $20-$50 but on the last night. Bartenders/servers that we get good service from get an extra $1-$5 on the receipt if we don't have Cheers. If we have Cheers we tip at least an extra $1 everytime and more to exceptional ones. At the end of the cruise there is usually 1 or 2 bartenders that we really had a good time with and they get extra cash on the last night. And I guess we are in the minority but we have yet to tip in the diningroom. The service is usually fine, but has never been above and beyond. They do their jobs and are friendly and they get the highest percentage of the automatic gratuities anyway. I have just never felt the need. Maybe we just haven't had the level of service others have had.

I thought the room steward got the highest percentage of automatic gratuities?

Nothing wrong with over-tipping.

So how do you go about tipping? Just handing it to them at the end? Can I increase my gratuities and have it automatically handed out? If I tip these same people throughout the whole cruise, do you think it would be ok to not seek them out at the end to give an extra lump?

I'm an over-tipper too but can totally see myself missing an opportunity to tip in person at the end.

We get envelopes from guest services and put the additional gratuity in them for the wait staff and room stewards. I write a short note on the front to thank them and give it to them the last night.

For room steward and MDR we always take thank you cards, write a nice note of thanks and put the tip in there on last night. Room steward I tip $10/day, sometimes more if they are stellar. Dining room: $20 for head waiter, $10 to each assistant. I also write thank-yous to my favorite bar tenders and leave them $10-20 each on the last night depending on service (this is in addition to the $1-2 I add per drink throughout cruise). Room service $3-$5 depending on order size.

Hope this helps!

In that case we should all cancel our Auto Grats, shouldn't we????

If the Hard Working Staff aren't getting it?

not at all, we always prepay our auto grats 90% deserve both pooled tips and private tips. In 12 cruises never asked for service money returned. I did like the old days of cash in the envelope, felt more personal

We never pretip the room steward or anyone. I just don't get that, giving a tip for doing nothing. A tip is earned for good service. I have never had a room steward that didn't do his or her job beyond there expected duties. Some will say they get better service by showing the cash up front. To me that is like a bribe. Do you tip a waiter when you sit down for your meal. If the service was poor though out the week it would change the amount I tip at the end. Thats my opinion.

This is a question many people have but there really is no answer. There is also really no need to ask the question.

You tip "whatever" you feel comfortable giving.

Also, do not believe that your steward, waitstaff or other staff on board, will think you are cheap if you do not give extra.

Just don't pull your tips from your on board account.

When you receive "additional" service then you tip extra. If the steward cleans your cabin twice a day, changes the towels when requested and makes your bed they are doing their jobs and don't require additional tipping. If your waitstaff is friendly, takes your orders and delivers your food in a timely fashion they are also doing their jobs.

If you make special requests or YOU feel someone went out of their way to make your cruise special then by all means give them whatever you feel is right and what you can afford.

I have read and seen many people who drop the $20, $50, $100 at the beginning of the cruise to insure they get the best service. Actually, I believe that many of these people do so to make themselves look and feel like a high roller and not assure or reward good service.

Guess what? I've only pre-tipped when I've asked for something outside the normal at the beginning of a cruise. I.E. Lounge chair on balcony, large amounts of ice or double towels. The worst service, in 40+ cruises, was from a cabin steward that I pre-tipped. The best was from a steward I did not pre-tip but I most certainly gave extra to at the end.

Tip whatever you like but please do not think it is required or even expected. Also, don't let the postings on this or any other board make you think otherwise. The decision is yours.

Take care,

Mike

We never pretip the room steward or anyone. I just don't get that, giving a tip for doing nothing. A tip is earned for good service. I have never had a room steward that didn't do his or her job beyond there expected duties. Some will say they get better service by showing the cash up front. To me that is like a bribe. Do you tip a waiter when you sit down for your meal. If the service was poor though out the week it would change the amount I tip at the end. Thats my opinion.

That right there is the reason to pre-tip. You pretty much know they are going to do a great job and tipping early can be a nice gesture. It's unlikely you're going to be out the money. And for those few who don't automatically do a good job, an early tip can provide a bit of incentive, getting you better service and ultimately a better trip. And if the early tip doesn't work then don't tip anymore.

Agree, do as you feel comfortable.

Me, I think I tip extra to the Deli Sandwich maker, $1 each time.

To the Pizza Maker that adds extra sauce and cheese..$1

To the Breakfast Grill that gets me a hot fresh Eggs Benny..$1

Sorta agree giving $5-$10.. whatever is all relative to ones individual income and appreciation level.

I find that even the $1 is way more than probably 1/2 the cruisers give for a pizza or Deli samwich, and just the thought brings a smile of gratitude from the worker.

We tipped Christian at the Coffee bar ane extra buck for each coffee, cuz he was eager to talk, smile and greet us even when we were just walking by.

Tipping is and has always been a subjective and controversial subject.

My sister insists on cruising once a year, and justifies her removing of tips, and eating in Lido, thinking this justifies not paying tips, to warrant being able to afford to cruise.

I totally disagree with her philosaphy.

Edited by cruisinitaliano

We get envelopes from guest services and put the additional gratuity in them for the wait staff and room stewards. I write a short note on the front to thank them and give it to them the last night.

This is what we do as well. If we find a special bartender, we'll do the same. As for drink servers, a buck or two periodically.

That right there is the reason to pre-tip. You pretty much know they are going to do a great job and tipping early can be a nice gesture. It's unlikely you're going to be out the money. And for those few who don't automatically do a good job, an early tip can provide a bit of incentive, getting you better service and ultimately a better trip. And if the early tip doesn't work then don't tip anymore.

How would I know they are going to do a great job on the first minute I meet them. There are stewards that don't do a good job I'm sure. There is no reason to pretip they should do there job regardless. If they don't pre-tipping is a waste of money. If they need incentive to bad. Show me you can do a good job then you get tipped. Like was said the only people who pretip are trying to look like big shots. Its like your saying here is $20 now ignore everyone else I just gave you money and give me better service. Its much better to say at the end you did a great job and here's a thank you for everything.

I love reading threads like these because tipping is one of those topics that always brings such a wide variety of responses. We usually leave the steward an envelope of $50-$100 on the last night and give the head waiter the same after we finish our last desert of the trip.