Star Speciality Restaurant Discounts?

daveoc

We have our first NCL cruise coming up on Star shortly.

Sometimes, on other lines, there will be discounts offered during the cruise to eat in one of the speciality restaurants.

Does this happen with NCL or is purchasing the dining package the only way to get a reduction?.

Thanks

I don't remember any one time discounts, but we were on the Star last Sept/Oct for 28 days and they offered a three meal specialty deal for $59 pp.
That sounds like more or less the same as the current 3-meal SDP ($59, but now with 18% on top). They used to offer a free bottle of wine on the first night, or 2-for-1 if you went early (like before 6pm), but offers like those appear to be a thing of the past. But you never know, on a ship by ship basis, something might come up in your Freestyle Daily.

Long ago NCL did have offers of a free bottle of wine when dining in a speciality restaurant on the embarkation night but besides bundle discounts, that's closest to for example Celebrity's discount offers (based on your cabin class if I'm not mistaken).

I cannot remember the last time I saw a buy 1 get 1 deal or a free bottle of plonk for going in a speciality restaurant, certainly not in the last 3 years on any of the sailings (7) we have done.

I think they are probably gone for good and replaced with dining packages. I know if I purchased a dining package for 2 for say, 3 or 4 nights on a 7 night cruise and then found that there were a load of 2 for 1 deals that would have offered me better value for my cash I would not be pleased by it.

Thanks for replies.

We were tempted with getting a dining package, but when I read reviews it seems like the food and choice in non pay restaurants maybe good enough.

Will probably wait until onboard and pay for one off speciality visits if needed.

Again, thanks for replies.

The food in the MDR and other complimentary venues is fine, and the SDPs do not represent huge savings, unless you are only interested in the most expensive specialty restaurants.

I agree.

Having checked out the package price it only seems financialy worthwhile if you eat in Cagneys for each of your meals. The savings in the other restaurants only amount to about £4($6), so it does make sense to pay for the odd meal if we want a change.

As we've sailed with the same cruise line for several years I'm really looking forward to trying out all the options available to us on Star---I hear they even have a fee-free Chinese restaurant.

On cruises we have been on the Speciality Restaurants seem to be very heavily booked so there is no need for NCL to offer discounts If you want to eat in a SR I would think you will have to grin & bear the cost. ;)

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.