Indian Food in the Windjammer

jules815

My husband and I are currently on the second half of a b2b on Freedom of the Seas. A couple days last week we were having lunch in the WJ and commented to the chefs working behind the food in Jade how great we thought the food was. They were really happy we took the time to compliment them, and even came around to our side and showed us a few other dishes. Tonight we had dinner in the WJ, and they had the best butter chicken and a curry beef. The guy who came around to ask if we wanted more iced tea was from India, and saw we were enjoying the food. He brought the chef out to our table. It was the same chef from last week at lunch time, and he remembered us. He's making a special dinner for my husband and I tomorrow night in the WJ. It's formal night in the dining room, and we're going to skip it. (we did both last week, feeling more casual this week.) :)

On a Brilliance OTS 5 day I asked one of the WJ servers (who happened to be Indian) about Indian food

and the server was elated that I actually was looking for it. He proudly showed me the "station" where the

Indian food was and explained what the items were.

We're on the Brilliance in a few days and I'm looking forward to

more of that food!

Can someone explain?

I'd heard rumors that I didn't believe that they weren't doing special-request Indian food anymore, but I blew it off. It's real?

So what's the deal with asking for it in WJ?

We're vegetarian and although the dishes on royal are better than on disney, they are still not much to write home about, and the Indian food was kinda how we got fed at dinner.

On a Brilliance OTS 5 day I asked one of the WJ servers (who happened to be Indian) about Indian food

and the server was elated that I actually was looking for it. He proudly showed me the "station" where the

Indian food was and explained what the items were.

We're on the Brilliance in a few days and I'm looking forward to

more of that food!

I am also on the Brilliance the end of this week. The Indian food in the WJ is always my favorite! I didn't know I could request it in the MDR.

I don't now about mdr. We were in the WJ last night, complimented them on the butter chicken, and they brought the chef from Jade out to our table. Like I mentioned in my original post, this was the same chef we'd complimented one day last week during lunch. He asked if we'd like a special meal of Indian food made for us in the WJ this evening. He named off quite a few things he could make for us, and asked us when we'd be there. So tonight, 7pm. We're very excited.

I am also on the Brilliance the end of this week. The Indian food in the WJ is always my favorite! I didn't know I could request it in the MDR.

You usually can, indeed. On our last cruise on Majesty one of the couples at our table mentioned having never tried Indian food before to our head waiter. Almost magically the next night a sort of Indian sampler platter appeared at our table and it was better than a couple items on that night's MDR menu!

We've been fortunate to be on a few cruises that included large tour groups from India. At lunch the Windjammer had a full room set aside with only Indian food. Not only was it delicious but it was much less crowded than the main Windjammer area.

We've been fortunate to be on a few cruises that included large tour groups from India. At lunch the Windjammer had a full room set aside with only Indian food. Not only was it delicious but it was much less crowded than the main Windjammer area.

We were on some of those Indian tour group cruises on Monarch too. The Indian food was excellent, good selection, and seemed spicier than normal.

We are going on our 15th cruise next month on the oasis and we have always ordered Indian food as a special request for my wife who is Indian for the main dining room and we have really never had much of a problem. On our last cruise on the Norwegian getaway there was a bit of a problem in terms of having a prepared fresh but most of the time they did it on other cruise lines and this was our first to Norwegian . However we did speak to the head chef and for our last night they did prepare from scratch a wonderful Indian meal . It used to be that they would ask what you want for the following night and make it but I think overall that level of service has gone down some but nonetheless we have always had it in the main dining room.

There were four of us on the Star Princess in 2007 and my wife and I went with an Indian couple and the maître d' every night gave us a pen and a piece of paper and asked us to write down what we wanted for the following night and it was made and then some so that was very nice but I again I don't think they go quite that far anymore.

On the Freedom last year, I mentioned to the Maitre d' that I was hoping to try some of the food the staff eat. I had read it was good and I truly enjoy authentic food from other cultures. The next evening after I ordered my dinner I was surprised by a plate of Indian food. It was as good as, and in many cases better than, what I've had at local restaurants. After that, he brought me a plate for dinner each night, lol. I was so stuffed. I am not sure if that is really what the staff eat, but I plan to ask for it on my upcoming cruise on the Allure.

Edited by docd

I was on Liberty of seas an year an half ago and had same experience.

When we dined at MDR, Our waiter was Indian and he used to bring us daily an Indian maincourse in additional to our regular entree.

Being Indians we didn't miss our regular food on LOS. Not to mention the food was delicious

Edited by sree_cruising

I love Indian food and Thai food also. I don't think it's traditional for Indian food but I love Siracha sauce on my Thai and Indian food. I wonder if they have this...I can't remember. We tend to eat in the MDR every night and I am not picky so I always find something on the menu that sounds yummy but this trip I'd like to try asking for some Indian food one evening, Love butter chicken!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the OP and wanted to come back with an update. We were on a B2B, and ended up eating all of our dinners the second week in the WJ. We like the MDR, but the second week we kept it very casual. We'd also met up with some friends from last year, and liked having pre-dinner drinks without having to keep looking at our watches. It was a very relaxing week! Anyway, back to the Indian food. We had become friendly with one of the WJ waiters who bring you drinks. His name is Lins Jose, and if you're ever on FOS, he is an absolute delight. He also works during the day in the bake shop, so not only were the chefs in Jade preparing special Indian dishes for us, they were having the special breads made each evening for us as well. Naan bread, and another, which I can't remember at the moment. We would show up in the Jade area of the WJ, most nights they had a table saved for us next to the window. We would get a plate of food from the WJ, and then they would bring out an Indian dish, plus the bread. Then while we were eating, the chefs would come out to our table to greet us. There would be 2-3 of them, and they were all so nice and happy that we were enjoying their food.

This really was the highlight of our two weeks on Freedom. Here are a few pictures...

The first one is of Lins Jose, our friendly waiter in the Jade area of the WJ, the chefs, and one of the dishes they brought out.

1443109538271.jpg.1216576da4a1520bc58445ac1637a938.jpg

1443109765450.jpg.d8ab2839e9714193b6384a53e7254b87.jpg

1443109835438.jpg.729ef1ef43f1958a3b05249ee779ee0b.jpg

I have no idea why those pictures flipped! About the food shot...the green bowl was a dish made with potatoes and cauliflower. It was so spicey and delicious! Probably our favorite. I think that was butter chicken in the bowl next to it.

The potato and cauliflower dish is likely aloo gobi, one of my favorites along with saag paneer (spinach and cheese). I often ask our MDR waiter if they are going to have these dishes and am usually rewarded at some point during the week with a special dinner.

The potato and cauliflower dish is likely aloo gobi, one of my favorites

YES! That was it! I am making a note of that name so I can order it the next time I'm visiting my daughter in the city. She lives very close to an area in Chicago (Devon) with great Indian food.

We've been fortunate to do this on Freedom as well.

Just sailed her in late August and our section head, Chris (with whom we have sailed before) made sure we had it every night at our table. Since we were 7 people, he brought out 3 dishes (2 main and 1 veggie) and mixed it up between meat and vegetarian.

I love aloo gobi and paneer. The butter chicken was excellent as well. I don't often get Indian food at home (but now that my older son enjoys it I can get it more often) and it's always a treat to have it on the cruise.

I also enjoy the Indian food on RCI ships and spicy food in general. I tried Izumi for the first time my last cruise and had the best soup ever. I can not recall the name, but it was spicy and took extra time to prepare, but was very much worth the wait.