Retirement Cruise ?

scrapycruiser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We are doing our 7th cruise next month and have not repeated an itinerary, although some of the ports overlap. Here is a breakdown:

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.out of Miami--Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Labadee

1/03 Explorer W. Carib. out of Miami--Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour Land tour--overnight in Anchorage, train to Talkeetna, train to Denali (2 nights there), motorcoach to Fairbanks, flew back to Anchorage, bus to Seward.

Cruise from Seward--Hubbard Glacier (cruising), stops in Juneau, Skagway, Sitka and Ketchikan debarked in Vancouver

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.from San Juan--Aruba,Curacao,St. Maarten,St.Thom.

2/05 Galaxy 11-night Panama Canal from Galveston--Cozumel, Costa Maya, partial transit of canal, Costa Rica, Montego Bay (instead of Gr. Cay. due to weather.)

6/06 Jewel 12-night Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords out of Harwich, Eng. Le Havre (France), Plymouth, Cork, Dublin, Greenock (Scot.) Norway stops-Flam, Alesund and Bergen. Last stop in Amsterdam. We spent 3 nights in London pre-cruise and did all the major sights there, plus a day trip to Leeds Castle, Canterbury and Dover.

Coming up!!

1/07 Mercury 11-night Mexican Riviera out of San Diego. Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Manzanilla, Ixtapa.

That's a lot of ports with minimal overlapping. We plan to do Aust/NZ on Mercury next Jan. and hope to do the Med on Galaxy summer '09 and maybe S. Amer. '10. I also want to do the "other" S. Carib--Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua and others without repeating. We really love the longer cruises.

There are so many cruise possibilities! Just take them one at a time. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Can't go wrong with most of the posters. I am taking my retirement cruise in June 08 on the Island Princess to Alaska followed by four days in Alaska at Denali and Mt Whitney Princess Lodges and Anchorage. Our other choice was the Panama Canal Cruise which we will definitely take in the near future.

When my husband retired last year, we took the Canadian Rocies tour (starts in Calgary and ended in Victoria.) We then boarded the Sun Princess and headed out to Alaska. What a wonderful trip. I would highly recommend this vacation.

I retired this year and we are headed out on the Diamond Princess to Hawaii in 30 days - boy are we excited.

Whatever you choose you will have a wonderful time in some on the nicest places in the world and you do not have to worrry about all the work piling up on your desk at work!!

i ll be retiring sometime next yr..that s after my workman s comp run s out :( ..

with 2 retirement check s a month, SS Disability benefit s, permanent disabilty check s for 18 month s..and with 8 week s vacation pay still on the book s..the DW and i are looking at one of RCCL s Land Tour Cruise s to alaska..

and YES..though im able to get around pretty good..im still pretty mess d up ..

I retired last August 31, and I'm taking a retirement cruise January 10, 2008 (about 100 more days!) to a place uniquely different. It starts in Buenos Aires, then Falkland Islands, Shetland Islands, cruising 3 days in Antarctica, Cape Horn, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Chile, Montevideo, Uruguay. Having done 3 Alaskan cruises over a 17 year period, fascinated by glaciers and wildlife, and having done a nature expedition cruise on a small ship in Tierra de Fuego, SA in 2001, I knew someday I must see the ultimate ice experience, so finally Antartica here I come, my retirement gift to myself.

Glaciated places appeal to me. They are unique, the natural beauty shaped by time and weather. They are not commercialized. And amidst the overwhelming beauty are majesty and solitude. To each his own opinion. It's really what appeals to your interests. But make this special occasion in your life something you will always remember.

• 4 weeks later...

I will retire on December 31, 2014. (I'm counting the days already.) My original plan was to do a combination Alaska/repo cruise from Anchorage to Florida that September. But after reading about that South America/Antartica cruise itinerary, I'd definitely consider that one too. Maybe I'll do both.

You can tell from all the posts that there's no one right answer to your question. Just take a cruise, then a second one, and a third, and . . .

Once you're retired there is more time to catch a great deal as well as itinerary. Find a favorite online travel agency and watch the itineraries. It's fun to check in and dream. Once you find something that interests you, watch the prices and jump when there's a sale. Then don't look back. You may not get the BEST price, but you get to go on a cruise you will like.

Enjoy! You never know what tomorrow will bring.

:):):) ninkb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Boy did I miss out. When I retired we didn't cruise anywhere. But we did go to the valley in Tx. for 3 months, so I guess I didn't miss anything afterall.

Yes I did I didn't have a cook, waiter, or house keeper. oh well we still had fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived