Diamond guests maximizing free wifi on Eastern caribbean sailing

snorkelman

Diamond members get either a free 24 hour period or $30 off a plan. Two Diamond members cannot combine their $30 discount to buy one plan.

Is it an automatic credit when you first sign in on your device or do you have to go to guest services to get it?

By the way, how was your cruise last week

Edited by SeaUs

Is it an automatic credit when you first sign in on your device or do you have to go to guest services to get it?

By the way, how was your cruise last week

It is supposed to be automatic, but sometimes the coupon amounts don't show up, and you will get an error message indicating that they cannot access your C&A info. I've had this happen several times, and most times I just tried later and the coupon discounts showed up. Once, it said it did not recognize my folio number, and I had to to to Guest Services where they did something to refresh my folio number and it worked after that.

So it sounds like you can usually just do this from your cabin, pretty simple, huh?

Do all of the cabins pretty much have a strong enough signal (on Oasis) for facetime, or is there some special location I have to go to get a strong enough wifi signal?

We had no problem with WiFi in our stateroom.

We are Diamond and were on Freedom last week. We each received one free 24 hour period of wifi OR $40 off any package. Here is how we worked it.

Sunday - no need as phones worked until sail away.

Monday - started one of our 24 hours coupons around 3pm.

Tuesday - still using first coupon until 3pm.

Wednesday - St. Thomas so our AT&T phones worked for free.

Thursday - St. Maartin - went to McDonalds and bought a drink to get the code.

Friday - ship offered unlimited wifi for the remaining two sea days for $40. We used our second coupon worth $40 and got unlimited for the last two sea days.

The wifi was not fast by any means, but it was not horribly slow either. :)

I have always been afraid of using free wifi in ports. Is there a way to protect your passwords and personal info while in port?

If your e-mail clients are set up properly, they will send all information through an encrypted link. Consult with whoever provides your email service to make sure you're using either SSL or STARTTLS protocols.

When using a web-browser, look at the address (the URL) or the website you're on. Take a note of the part that starts with "http://". If it says "http://", then assume anything you send back and forth can be read by anybody who may be eavesdropping on the connection. If it starts with "https://" (note the "s") then it should be a secured connection which is very difficult to intercept data from.

Diamond members get either a free 24 hour period or $30 off a plan. Two Diamond members cannot combine their $30 discount to buy one plan.

We are Diamond and were on Freedom last week. We each received one free 24 hour period of wifi OR $40 off any package. Here is how we worked it.

Friday - ship offered unlimited wifi for the remaining two sea days for $40. We used our second coupon worth $40 and got unlimited for the last two sea days.

Thanks for the replies.

However I am confused - is it USD 30 or 40 that you can get off?

****Friday - ship offered unlimited wifi for the remaining two sea days for $40. We used our second coupon worth $40 and got unlimited for the last two sea days.****

On our last 2 Indy cruises, they offered various 'specials' on the 5th day. As above, we had one coupon remaining to finish out the cruise. It was effective up until 9a.m. on disembarking morning.

I also do the thing where you use one of the $30 credits towards the end of the cruise to get the unlimited package for the last couple of sea days. Usually there will be a glitch that requires a call to guest services and more often than not the $10-15 difference in price gets waived or ignored. I've been wondering if this would work for a free second week of internet on a b2b because the end date on the package is usually about a week after the end of the current cruise.

Has anyone determined how exactly how much time one gets with the 24 hour package, especially on Freedom as we will be on that ship for B2B cruises next month?

I remember seeing a post here on CC that their one day package was not cut off exactly at 24 hours but actually got around 30 hours of unlimited internet from the time their package started.

We have never found the ship's Wifi to have a good enough signal to support FaceTime.

We haven't tried Facetime, but we used Google Hangouts on Enchantment this July, and it worked OK (not great - sort of Max headroom-ish - but it never dropped the connection). We're going to try Facetime when we're back on Enchantment in a few weeks.

We are Diamond members.

On Allure earlier this year my wife took the option of 1 hour of free internet. This can be used across the length of the cruise. We'd spend 10 minutes checking our emails on her phone then log off. The hour lasted the whole 7 days.

I took the option of the free 24 hours on the last day. We both got caught up on everything we needed on the last day.

Just the way we did it and worked out great for us.

Michael.......

We are Diamond members.

On Allure earlier this year my wife took the option of 1 hour of free internet. This can be used across the length of the cruise. We'd spend 10 minutes checking our emails on her phone then log off. The hour lasted the whole 7 days.

I took the option of the free 24 hours on the last day. We both got caught up on everything we needed on the last day.

Just the way we did it and worked out great for us.

Michael.......

Unfortunately, the 1 hour option is no longer available.

Unfortunately, the 1 hour option is no longer available.

Oh? My bad.

Yeah, that was in Feb we were on Allure.

One thing that worked great was that my Magic Jack Wifi app worked great making calls at sea. As long as I was in the internet lounge I could call home or anywhere else. That was COOL.

I have always been afraid of using free wifi in ports. Is there a way to protect your passwords and personal info while in port? Wish I was more of a computer geek, but I have no idea which classes to take at the local college to learn about hackers and viruses. :o

I use an ipad, and I've installed Roboform Anywhere. It stores all your user ids and passwords, and encrypts them when you login. I use it on my laptop and ipad. LOVE it!!