Collecting countries for the bucket list - which cruise is most cost-effective

ggbonner

Does it count whether you actually see and do something there or do you merely have to set foot on that soil? If you have connecting flight from Boston to Copenhagen and you connect through London Heathrow, would you count that to add Great Britain to your list?

Yes and no :D

I have counted Norway, where I only have had a stop over. But since I live close to Norway I'm counting on going there sooner or later and that's why I have counted it as a visited country. In all other countries (with the exception of The Vatican state) have I spent at least 8hrs.

Edited by Extra Kim

A less-than-intelligent idea, but if numbers are that important,

OP might do better racking up a tally by flying to Brussels, renting a car, then driving south - hitting Luxemburg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, then sort of east to take in Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, before turning back north for Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Austria on his way back to Brussels to drop the car off and catch his flight home. This would give him an impressive eight. If he planned it right, he could have dinner in a number of countries --- and actually see something.

Not really. I will consider Aruba, Curacao, and the Kingdom of the Netherlands side of Saint Martin (I've been to France already), but I don't think it will help as I don't want to go over 7 days. I don't think I get sea-sick, but I don't want to find out the hard way on day 1 of an 18-day cruise. And I have no idea whether my wife gets sea-sick. There is also the issue of cost. I want the cost to be VERY low. So that's longer cruises and European cruises out. I'm thinking of $400 round-trip flight to San Juan plus a 400-750 dollar cruise (times two people), plus maybe a couple of extra days in San Juan.

I don't think there is any cruise that both hits Aruba/Curacao AND does the other Islands in 7 days. I suppose out of San Juan that they will all spend at least one port call each way in Virgin Islands or else sea transit. That means 5 countries max for 7 days. I sea a few with 4/7, and hope to find an economical 5/7 or 5/8, and would jump on a 6/8.

I'll take a look at the "British-based" as suggested. It may work better to start in Barbados. That could cut out the wasted V.I. day. But flights to Barbados are much more expensive than to San Juan.

It is all sounding very limited with what you state as your requirements. 7 days would be difficult. I wouldn't worry about sea sickness......travel away from hurricane season if worried.

Flights for other countries to catch the ship are always going to be $$$:eek:

Your first care should be to make sure you both do not get sea sick. Never have been on a cruise....,yes....keep it at 7 days max.

Remember, there will be sea days but those are very relaxing with activities for all.

You could search yourself to death but economically stick with Norwegian or Carnival but stay away from booking over holiday breaks or summer (far too many kids:eek:)

If see something for 10 days at a bargain with calm waters......stick the dog in a pet hotel and go.

If you have questions before booking come on these boards.....look for the cruiseline forum and ask.

Nothing wrong with collecting countries, it makes more sense to me than collecting thimbles, shot glasses or teaspoons. No, you won't see much of a country, but no one else on the cruise ship will either. I have toured enough Caribbean islands to realize that a beach and a beer are the things for me. I really don't care much about the history, culture, geography, government, or economy of Caribbean island nations.

Last month I did a 14-days cruise in the Mediterranean on the Celebrity Equinox. I hit 9 countries :

Turkey

Greece

Montenegro

Croatia

Italy

Vatican

France

Monaco

Spain.

Not shabby at all. Some are real big countries. A 10th country San Marino was possible but then we will miss Fiorenze. :)

• 3 months later...

I am booked on the Siversea Silver Spirit Cruise. Dec 15th, 2016

Counting departure and return from Barbados, port in six countries. Not territories, actual countries. I have no problem with those collecting countries and just spending a day in port. It affords an opportunity also to see what is offered so you can go back to those that appeal to spend more time at a later date.