The Incredible Infinity!!

Cruise Raider

The Pacific Coastal cruises have such great ports to offer, that the two 7-night itineraries that are scheduled for next fall are really disappointing, and there is no spring Pacific Coastal next year.

We are sailing the Infinity for 11 nights next Spring from San Diego to Vancouver... departing on May 11th. We have not been notified that it has been cancelled, so there is definitely a Spring Pacific Coastal cruise next year!

We are sailing the Infinity for 11 nights next Spring from San Diego to Vancouver... departing on May 11th. We have not been notified that it has been cancelled, so there is definitely a Spring Pacific Coastal cruise next year!

I was investigating this one but chose the Explorer for next fall instead. Not SF ... but Seattle is also a lovely city.

I will definitely choose something a little better to do while in Santa Barbara on that cruise.

Hi Cruise Raider:

I am happy that I was able to help in some small way with information about cabins, and I'm sure that you did say thank you. Cruise Critic is where I learned most of what I know about cruising, beyond direct experience, of course, and I love the willingness of people here to share their knowledge. I am always happy if I can give back in some small way.

We had a great cruise on the Infinity too. There were a few things, like the cabin move, that were no one's fault, and Celebrity did its best to make them right for us. A few other things, like rude salespeople and a complete lack of shore-side support for the excursions, were minor, but I though worth mentioning. And I'm probably just grumpy about the Afternoon Tea, because I love a traditional Afternoon Tea, and will often skip lunch just so I can have something small but tasty at Teatime. Again, if Afternoon Tea is not your thing, I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice the changes that I mentioned, and for sure, there will be people who prefer doughnuts over scones! :) Perhaps I didn't give enough time in my review to the things that I really did enjoy, because there were many.

I think the issue with cabin 3132 was temporary and will be fixed at drydock if not before. When Guest Relations called to move us to a balcony cabin, they said something to the effect that "the issue couldn't be resolved on this cruise" which made me think it would be taken care of soon. Hopefully it was taken care of to the extent that the next occupants of the cabin weren't bothered on the next cruise, or indeed, during the Dreamforce occupancy.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you. There was a great group on our Roll Call and I missed meeting so many of them, as my granddaughter's schedule often conflicted with many of the events that I would have chosen to attend.

The Pacific Coastal cruises have such great ports to offer, that the two 7-night itineraries that are scheduled for next fall are really disappointing, and there is no spring Pacific Coastal next year. I would love for there to be a Pacific Coastal during the summer so that I could take my daughter and son-in-law, who are teachers, to all these wonderful ports that they have never been able to visit. Watching the numbers as I do, it seems to me that Celebrity makes more money on a Pacific Coastal than on a lot of Caribbean cruises, although certainly not as much as they can make on Alaska cruises. One of the best cruises I ever sailed was a 12-night Pacific Coastal on the Millennium, and also an 11-night Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise on the Solstice was wonderful. I would have booked a back-to-back on the two 7-night cruises if they hadn't repeated the same ports on each cruise. With so many great ports to choose from, I don't understand why they couldn't have mixed the itineraries up a little bit more.

I do realize that we are very lucky to be able to cruise as much as we do, and I'm sorry if I sounded picky in my review. I really had a great time on this cruise and just wish I had another Pacific Coastal to look forward to.

Thank you for your great review, and may all your future cruises be just as wonderful or better!!

Ah, would have looked for you if we'd have known you'd be on the cruise. We only stayed at the initial roll call meeting for about 20 minutes as we were lucky enough to be invited to sail away on the helipad as well. Seems like we were at the same places at the same time, just didn't know to look for you. Walker 1313 mentioned it would be cold and windy up there....but it was one of the highlights of our trip. It was the first time we've sailed out of SF with such gorgeous and warm weather. We don't mind the 70's at all -- so for us, it was perfect. We met some of the nicest officers up there and got some amazing photos. Wilfredo did a wonderful job in keeping our champagne glasses full. :)

We usually love tea time but was staying away from high carb foods the whole cruise.... except for my morning mimosas (:D)! They made it so easy to do on this cruise, I hardly felt like I was depriving myself at all with all the yummy options available. My DH has a huge sweet tooth but said that few of the desserts appealed to him. I am way more tempted by those breadsticks in the Aqua Spa Café, which I had a bit of and it was as amazing as I remembered it being.

Did you end up taking the 11 AM trolley in Santa Barbara? That's the one we were on...wouldn't do it again. Granted, it was way too hot that day to be comfortable doing anything without air conditioning.

Well, next cruise we are on together, for sure will introduce myself. Sorry again to have missed you on this one.

Thanks very much for posting. I asked the Future Cruise people on board the Infinity and was told there wasn't a Pacific Coastal next spring, so I took their word for it. I'm guessing, looking at the itineraries, that they only looked at the Solstice deployment.

The May 11th cruise is a good itinerary. I'll take a serious look at that one.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks very much for posting. I asked the Future Cruise people on board the Infinity and was told there wasn't a Pacific Coastal next spring, so I took their word for it. I'm guessing, looking at the itineraries, that they only looked at the Solstice deployment.

The May 11th cruise is a good itinerary. I'll take a serious look at that one.

Thanks again for your help.

But, the Pacific is COLD in May! :eek:

Hi Cruise Raider:

I disappeared from the Roll Call for a month while on a cruise in Scandinavia and Russia, followed by a land trip in Britain. I purchased full-time internet while on the Baltic cruise, and thought I could keep up with our Roll Call while away, but the internet just never worked. One day I actually tried to send an important email 100 times before going to Guest Relations and asking them to let me use their telephone. When I finally returned, Walker1313 was doing such a great job with the Roll Call list, and I was so crazy busy, that I just let him carry on. I was originally booked to cruise with my husband, but he couldn't make it so I cruised with my grand-daughter. Maybe one of those issues made you think that I had cancelled the cruise. I certainly didn't post much after I left for Europe, and there were about 500 posts for me to catch up on when I returned.

I am happy that I was able to help in some small way with information about cabins, and I'm sure that you did say thank you. Cruise Critic is where I learned most of what I know about cruising, beyond direct experience, of course, and I love the willingness of people here to share their knowledge. I am always happy if I can give back in some small way.

We had a great cruise on the Infinity too. There were a few things, like the cabin move, that were no one's fault, and Celebrity did its best to make them right for us. A few other things, like rude salespeople and a complete lack of shore-side support for the excursions, were minor, but I though worth mentioning. And I'm probably just grumpy about the Afternoon Tea, because I love a traditional Afternoon Tea, and will often skip lunch just so I can have something small but tasty at Teatime. Again, if Afternoon Tea is not your thing, I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice the changes that I mentioned, and for sure, there will be people who prefer doughnuts over scones! :) Perhaps I didn't give enough time in my review to the things that I really did enjoy, because there were many.

I think the issue with cabin 3132 was temporary and will be fixed at drydock if not before. When Guest Relations called to move us to a balcony cabin, they said something to the effect that "the issue couldn't be resolved on this cruise" which made me think it would be taken care of soon. Hopefully it was taken care of to the extent that the next occupants of the cabin weren't bothered on the next cruise, or indeed, during the Dreamforce occupancy.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you. There was a great group on our Roll Call and I missed meeting so many of them, as my granddaughter's schedule often conflicted with many of the events that I would have chosen to attend.

The Pacific Coastal cruises have such great ports to offer, that the two 7-night itineraries that are scheduled for next fall are really disappointing, and there is no spring Pacific Coastal next year. I would love for there to be a Pacific Coastal during the summer so that I could take my daughter and son-in-law, who are teachers, to all these wonderful ports that they have never been able to visit. Watching the numbers as I do, it seems to me that Celebrity makes more money on a Pacific Coastal than on a lot of Caribbean cruises, although certainly not as much as they can make on Alaska cruises. One of the best cruises I ever sailed was a 12-night Pacific Coastal on the Millennium, and also an 11-night Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise on the Solstice was wonderful. I would have booked a back-to-back on the two 7-night cruises if they hadn't repeated the same ports on each cruise. With so many great ports to choose from, I don't understand why they couldn't have mixed the itineraries up a little bit more.

I do realize that we are very lucky to be able to cruise as much as we do, and I'm sorry if I sounded picky in my review. I really had a great time on this cruise and just wish I had another Pacific Coastal to look forward to.

Thank you for your great review, and may all your future cruises be just as wonderful or better!!

Great review!

It was so nice spending time talking with you on this cruise.

Hopefully sometime in the future, we'll be able to sail with you again.

Karyn

I did a Coastal Cruise on CENTURY back in May 2011......left out of

San Diego and went up the coast......it was FABULOUS:D...overnight

stop in San Francisco.....:)

Ah, would have looked for you if we'd have known you'd be on the cruise. We only stayed at the initial roll call meeting for about 20 minutes as we were lucky enough to be invited to sail away on the helipad as well. Seems like we were at the same places at the same time, just didn't know to look for you. Walker 1313 mentioned it would be cold and windy up there....but it was one of the highlights of our trip. It was the first time we've sailed out of SF with such gorgeous and warm weather. We don't mind the 70's at all -- so for us, it was perfect. We met some of the nicest officers up there and got some amazing photos. Wilfredo did a wonderful job in keeping our champagne glasses full. :)

We usually love tea time but was staying away from high carb foods the whole cruise.... except for my morning mimosas (:D)! They made it so easy to do on this cruise, I hardly felt like I was depriving myself at all with all the yummy options available. My DH has a huge sweet tooth but said that few of the desserts appealed to him. I am way more tempted by those breadsticks in the Aqua Spa Café, which I had a bit of and it was as amazing as I remembered it being.

Did you end up taking the 11 AM trolley in Santa Barbara? That's the one we were on...wouldn't do it again. Granted, it was way too hot that day to be comfortable doing anything without air conditioning.

Well, next cruise we are on together, for sure will introduce myself. Sorry again to have missed you on this one.

Hi Cruise Raider:

I was the one on the helipad with the 8-year old :). We really enjoyed that opportunity as well. I wished we could have stayed for the actual sail away, but with a 5:45 dining time, we had to leave early as we were dining with Katie's other grandparents.

We were on the 9:00 historical trolley in Santa Barbara, and there was no one on the pier from Celebrity to indicate which of the many trolleys we were supposed to go on, so by the time I found out which one, we were among the last few to board, and we had seats at the front that had no air as the windows were fully covered. It was a stifling hot day, so I had a hard time keeping my granddaughter awake. We enjoyed the tour but were quite uncomfortable. Next time I go to Santa Barbara, I will rent a car and do some touring on our own. I really liked the Mendocino area and would like to see more of that, and I would like to see Solvang as well.

Did you go to the Captain's Club Elegant Tea? I had to miss that but was wondering if it was nicely done.

We are currently trying to decide between the Solstice or the Explorer of the Seas for a transatlantic to Australia in fall 2016. Have you been on the Explorer before? I love the Solstice, but prices are much more reasonable on the Explorer.

I agree with you that Seattle is a lovely city and there is much to do and see there.

I look forward to meeting you on a future cruise!

Hi Suzanne....that is true, which is why I have always done the September Pacific Coastals, which I love, especially the Wine cruises. :)

But I like the itinerary on the May 11th coastal, so I've just booked on that one! With only one flight down to San Diego, it will be really relaxing.

Sometimes May can be very nice, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

I did a Coastal Cruise on CENTURY back in May 2011......left out of

San Diego and went up the coast......it was FABULOUS:D...overnight

stop in San Francisco.....:)

Hi Lois...

I just moved a Future Cruise booking to the May 11 2015 Pacific Coastal on Infinity. Why don't you come along too!

Great review!

It was so nice spending time talking with you on this cruise.

Hopefully sometime in the future, we'll be able to sail with you again.

Karyn

Hi Karyn:

It was so nice to meet you as well. My one big regret on this cruise was not being able to see more of the great people from our Roll Call. They were such a nice group. But I had such a special time with my granddaughter that it was all good.

I would love to sail with you again in the future, and maybe get to play some trivia next time! :):):)

Hi Lois...

I just moved a Future Cruise booking to the May 11 2015 Pacific Coastal on Infinity. Why don't you come along too!

Hi Eileen:D.......I am going on my River Cruise out of Amsterdam

in April so no way can I cruise again in May. Maybe another time:)

Thanks again for your post.

I have booked this cruise. See you on the Roll Call!

Hi Cruise Raider:

I was the one on the helipad with the 8-year old :). We really enjoyed that opportunity as well. I wished we could have stayed for the actual sail away, but with a 5:45 dining time, we had to leave early as we were dining with Katie's other grandparents.

We were on the 9:00 historical trolley in Santa Barbara, and there was no one on the pier from Celebrity to indicate which of the many trolleys we were supposed to go on, so by the time I found out which one, we were among the last few to board, and we had seats at the front that had no air as the windows were fully covered. It was a stifling hot day, so I had a hard time keeping my granddaughter awake. We enjoyed the tour but were quite uncomfortable. Next time I go to Santa Barbara, I will rent a car and do some touring on our own. I really liked the Mendocino area and would like to see more of that, and I would like to see Solvang as well.

Did you go to the Captain's Club Elegant Tea? I had to miss that but was wondering if it was nicely done.

We are currently trying to decide between the Solstice or the Explorer of the Seas for a transatlantic to Australia in fall 2016. Have you been on the Explorer before? I love the Solstice, but prices are much more reasonable on the Explorer.

I agree with you that Seattle is a lovely city and there is much to do and see there.

I look forward to meeting you on a future cruise!

This is so funny....for the life of us, neither my DH or I remember seeing any kids onboard, so must have missed you on the helipad. We were the ones they kept stocked with full champagne glasses, if that helps. hahaha!

I agree about the stifling hot trolley. I would like to go back to Santa Barbara and do something different next time. I also love Solvang ... did stay there for a few nights with my sister before. Last time in Santa Barbara, we went up to Los Olivos for wine tasting -- they were supposed to serve us lunch but it fell through so we were all drinking wine on empty stomachs and it was so cold out. So, this time, we hoped for warmer weather ... ah, the third time, we are hoping for a happy medium. We are headed back next year so want something really fun to do. My seat on the trolley included a metal bar that was poking me in the back the entire time. I think the bruise is finally subsiding ...as I say in jest.

We are booked on the Explorer next year for our first time. We've sailed with RCCL before and really liked it and love the reciprocal benefits between them and Celebrity. I do love the S class ships but seems like Celebrity cruises on the west coast are so limited. My SIL also wanted to do an Alaska cruise out of San Francisco this summer for her 50th -- so that leaves us with Princess. You are right about the pricing, Celebrity has raised their prices a bit recently....or so it seems. I am sure it is to cover the 1-2-3 go or the BBB promos they are running. It is probably worth it with the beverage package but if you take the $300 or the equivalent in free gratuities, it doesn't make up for the $1000 extra they seem to be charging for the cabin. Anyhow, the Explorer is doing some coastals next Sept out of Seattle unless you have your heart set on the Transatlantic. There are some good prices right now ... we are doing the 8 night one...thus, getting a third chance to do something enjoyable in Santa Barbara. RCCL is running their BOGO 1/2 off. Plus, as elite on Celebrity, there is a good discount on balcony cabins on RCCL. And, we've never been to Oregon, so liked that there is a stop in Astoria.

I never did make it to the elegant tea and as a matter of fact, not sure I even knew about it. When was it? I am not supposed to drink tea (doctor's orders), even though I love it. So, best to have not known about it anyway.

I did, however, make it to the wine tasting :D...nicely done and we were at a fun table. We enjoyed it a lot.

So, maybe will meet you on the Explorer???? Who knows, may have talked you into it. I just like different experiences, so will probably never get to be elite plus as we like to sail on many different cruise lines.

Thanks again for your post.

I have booked this cruise. See you on the Roll Call!

You are welcome!

I guess I need to join the Roll Call. I have scoped it out a time or two, but have never taken the time to sign up. We pretty much know what we want to do in most ports anyway.

Your screen name looks familiar. Were you booked on the Pacific Coastal a couple of years back that was cancelled because of the propulsion problems the Millennium was experiencing? I am wondering if that is where I remember it from...

• 7 months later...

Cruise Raider, it took some searching but I found your review. I really enjoyed reading it!

I didn't realize that Celebrity was connected with M Life. Do you know if they offer any benefits for M life Pearl status? Did you have to book your cruise with M Life directly to receive the M life benefits?

Thank you for your helpful replies :)

Cruise Raider, it took some searching but I found your review. I really enjoyed reading it!

I didn't realize that Celebrity was connected with M Life. Do you know if they offer any benefits for M life Pearl status? Did you have to book your cruise with M Life directly to receive the M life benefits?

Thank you for your helpful replies :)

Aha...you found it!

Both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are associated with M-Life. Not sure how long that will last but taking advantage of it while it exists. Here is a link that lists all the benefits for each status. It goes both ways so be sure to check out what you are entitled to when you go to Vegas (or other m-life properties) as well.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/mgm-partnership

Of note, in order to use the benefits on Celebrity (or Royal Caribbean) you will have had to earn your status through M-Life or one of the other relationships they offer to get you to that status.

We have gold status with M-life and Elite with Celebrity -- so it the priority boarding doesn't really bump up us any further.

However, the 20% discount on cruises is fabulous but you have to book through a special number listed on the Celebrity site using the link above. They used to book them way out in advance but now only for 6 months or so out in the future. With Royal Caribbean, this time period is shortened to 3 months out. Because I book my cruises so far out in advance, this is a perk I am rarely able to use. Plus, you have to compare your savings to TA perks -- they might come out to be beneficial to just book with the TA.

We recently sailed on the Equinox and were given 2 specialty dinners -- so that was really a nice perk. We chose Murano, of course, and it was phenomenal. Plus, they give you drink coupons for the casino and if you don't already have a drink package, they come in quite handy. I think you each get five coupons. I know pearl doesn't really get as many perks so we try hard to maintain our gold status with M-Life....in other words, we really pay for those perks. LOL! Don't know how long we will be able to go on with it as I am recently retired. I would love to somehow get to platinum with M-life as then we are qualified for a free annual cruise ... but I can tell you right now, that will never happen ... as you have to maintain and start all over again with your M-Life status every year. :(

Again, don't forget to use your Celebrity status when visiting Vegas. We ended up with a comped suite at Mandalay Bay on New Years Eve and New Years Day because of the combo of our statuses. Wow...that was a treat!!!

Aha...you found it!

Both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are associated with M-Life. Not sure how long that will last but taking advantage of it while it exists. Here is a link that lists all the benefits for each status. It goes both ways so be sure to check out what you are entitled to when you go to Vegas (or other m-life properties) as well.

Of note, in order to use the benefits on Celebrity (or Royal Caribbean) you will have had to earn your status through M-Life or one of the other relationships they offer to get you to that status.

We have gold status with M-life and Elite with Celebrity -- so it the priority boarding doesn't really bump up us any further.

However, the 20% discount on cruises is fabulous but you have to book through a special number listed on the Celebrity site using the link above. They used to book them way out in advance but now only for 6 months or so out in the future. With Royal Caribbean, this time period is shortened to 3 months out. Because I book my cruises so far out in advance, this is a perk I am rarely able to use. Plus, you have to compare your savings to TA perks -- they might come out to be beneficial to just book with the TA.

We recently sailed on the Equinox and were given 2 specialty dinners -- so that was really a nice perk. We chose Murano, of course, and it was phenomenal. Plus, they give you drink coupons for the casino and if you don't already have a drink package, they come in quite handy. I think you each get five coupons. I know pearl doesn't really get as many perks so we try hard to maintain our gold status with M-Life....in other words, we really pay for those perks. LOL! Don't know how long we will be able to go on with it as I am recently retired. I would love to somehow get to platinum with M-life as then we are qualified for a free annual cruise ... but I can tell you right now, that will never happen ... as you have to maintain and start all over again with your M-Life status every year. :(

Again, don't forget to use your Celebrity status when visiting Vegas. We ended up with a comped suite at Mandalay Bay on New Years Eve and New Years Day because of the combo of our statuses. Wow...that was a treat!!!

I hate to sound stupid, but what is M-Life?

Teanne

I hate to sound stupid, but what is M-Life?

Teanne

It doesn't sound stupid. If we didn't go down to Vegas regularly, we wouldn't know what it is either.

So, the casino corporations have a club that you can join for no charge. They give you a players club card and you enter it into the machines (or tables) you play while in that group of casinos. It tracks your play and provides offers for rooms, food, shows, resort credits, etc. M-life is the one for the MGM-Mirage corporation which includes about 10 different hotels down in Vegas in addition to a few in other locations.

Last year or maybe before that, they joined in a relationship with Celebrity (and maybe before that with Royal Caribbean?). Caesars, which includes Harrahs, has done this with Norwegian cruise lines for a few years already and guess if one does it, the others follow suit. Down in Vegas, there are some independent casinos but most either belong to either Caesars or MGM-Mirage.

You actually get the perks from the casino host on the ship whereas in Vegas, you call a certain number to make your reservation, as the room comps / discounts are better than anything else they offer while there.

• 5 weeks later...
Aha...you found it!

Thank you! I know I will never hit Gold since it starts over every year. I'm lucky I'm pearl and get to go in the special buffet line. That alone saves me hours of waiting each trip. I've only been on one celebrity cruise so far and I have another one booked. I'm not sure I understand how to use the celebrity status in Vegas though. If I was Elite with celebrity would I just tell them that when I make my reservation in Vegas?

I know this is off-topic but have you ever been to Border Grills small plate brunch? It's on Saturday and Sunday and it was fabulous! You can find a bunch of pictures of it on a few sites. They have a location at Caesar's Palace and Mandalay Bay. We went to the Caesar's Palace location. They have different menus at each location.

I can't wait until my Infinity cruise! Oh, a quick question have you ever seen the Oceanview cabins that are towards the aft on deck three? We were wondering about those.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

Quote:

"Oh, a quick question have you ever seen the Oceanview cabins that are towards the aft on deck three? We were wondering about those."

I am not Cruise Raider but I do know about those oceanview cabins.

Very quiet area, nice large windows. I stayed in that section before

and would book there again so yes, I would recommend them.

Quote:

"Oh, a quick question have you ever seen the Oceanview cabins that are towards the aft on deck three? We were wondering about those."

I am not Cruise Raider but I do know about those oceanview cabins.

Very quiet area, nice large windows. I stayed in that section before

and would book there again so yes, I would recommend them.

Thank you, Lois R. Are the windows the same size or larger than the other oceanview cabins? I heard these cabins are newer than the others?