Plans for 1 1/2 Days in Ft. Lauderdale

Cruisin Broad

Hello all. My friend and I will be returning to the Port of Miami from a cruise on February 28. We have decided to stay over in Ft. Lauderdale the nights of February 28 and 29. I've been perusing the "Florida Departures" board for suggestions on places to stay, things to do, etc. and believe I've made a plan that will allow us to enjoy Ft. Lauderdale without the need for a rental car. I'm thinking we'll reserve one of the shuttles recommended on this forum (QLS/SAS) to transport us from/to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. We'll stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street, where it appears we'll be close to shopping, restaurants and can walk to the water taxi. We'll have only 1 1/2 days to explore and will most likely spend most of the 29th hopping on and off the water taxi. For those who have spent time in Ft. Lauderdale, does this sound like a good plan? Thanks.

Hello all. My friend and I will be returning to the Port of Miami from a cruise on February 28. We have decided to stay over in Ft. Lauderdale the nights of February 28 and 29. I've been perusing the "Florida Departures" board for suggestions on places to stay' date=' things to do, etc. and believe I've made a plan that will allow us to enjoy Ft. Lauderdale without the need for a rental car. I'm thinking we'll reserve one of the shuttles recommended on this forum (QLS/SAS) to transport us from/to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. We'll stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street, where it appears we'll be close to shopping, restaurants and can walk to the water taxi. We'll have only 1 1/2 days to explore and will most likely spend most of the 29th hopping on and off the water taxi. For those who have spent time in Ft. Lauderdale, does this sound like a good plan? Thanks.[/quote']

The Riverside Hotel or the Doubletree Gallery One would be much better choices that the Embassy. They Embassy isn't really close to anything but the Embassy.

Both the Riverside (you have to call the water taxi people) and the Doubletree and water taxi stops that are surrounded by fantastic shopping, dining, and nightlife.

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm, I'm disappointed, as I thought I had done my homework before posting. BlueHerons, are you saying the Embassy Suites isn't near a water taxi stop? I'm sure we'll make it over to Las Olas Blvd, so we'll check out the breakfast/lunch recommendation.

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm' date=' I'm disappointed, as I thought I had done my homework before posting. BlueHerons, are you saying the Embassy Suites isn't near a water taxi stop? I'm sure we'll make it over to Las Olas Blvd, so we'll check out the breakfast/lunch recommendation.[/quote']

No, the Embassy is a long walk from the water taxi stop. It isn't a great hotel unless you are cruising.

No, the Embassy is a long walk from the water taxi stop. It isn't a great hotel unless you are cruising.

It is one mile from Embassy Suites to the water taxi stop by the Hilton Marina whereas the Riverside and Gallery One hotels are at water taxi stops. That mile isn't a hard walk (after all it is Florida and our only hills are bridges and the the water taxi stop is before the bridge :D) in good weather but it isn't exactly pleasant since you are walking along a 6 lane road with lots of traffic. If it is summer one mile in Florida heat and humidity can feel like 5 miles elsewhere.

OP - just went back and read your dates -- February is usually nice walking weather! Also don't forget the Sun Trolley for cheap transportation (http://www.suntrolley.com).

Edited by capriccio

Hello again. Thanks for the responses. I guess I may just have to rethink the plan I'd made. We really don't want to rent a car, but we do want to be within walking distance to restaurants. If we were to decide to stay in Hollywood, FL, would we still see the same things/have the same stops on the water taxi? Thanks.

Edited by Cruisin' Broad

Hello again. Thanks for the responses. I guess I may just have to rethink the plan I'd made. We really don't want to rent a car' date=' but we do want to be within walking distance to restaurants. If we were to decide to stay in Hollywood, FL, would we still see the same things/have the same stops on the water taxi? Thanks.[/quote']

Check out the water taxi website (http://www.watertaxi.com). There is a Hollywood Route that begins/ends at the Hilton Marina on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. If you want to see Fort Lauderdale by water taxi you'll have to catch it at one of the Hollywood stops and then change at the Hilton Marina. The other drawback is that the water taxi isn't nearly as frequent on the Hollywood route (every hour and 15 minutes) as it is on the Fort Lauderdale route (every 15 - 30 minutes).

I love the Embassy Suites pre cruise, but for after we stayed at Gallery One. MJS transportation picked us up from Port of Miami to Gallery One last year, so don't rule out shuttles

Perhaps others have had a different experience recently, but I contacted MJS and their response about transport from Port of Miami to Embassy Suites was this:

"Due to our volume of passengers we do not offer returns to hotels. We can take you to FLL at our great rate and you can get hotel shuttle from there.":(

Glad to hear their business is a success, though.

Edited by Cruisin' Broad

Hello all. My friend and I will be returning to the Port of Miami from a cruise on February 28. We have decided to stay over in Ft. Lauderdale the nights of February 28 and 29. I've been perusing the "Florida Departures" board for suggestions on places to stay' date=' things to do, etc. and believe I've made a plan that will allow us to enjoy Ft. Lauderdale without the need for a rental car. I'm thinking we'll reserve one of the shuttles recommended on this forum (QLS/SAS) to transport us from/to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. We'll stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street, where it appears we'll be close to shopping, restaurants and can walk to the water taxi. We'll have only 1 1/2 days to explore and will most likely spend most of the 29th hopping on and off the water taxi. For those who have spent time in Ft. Lauderdale, does this sound like a good plan? Thanks.[/quote']

I have these exact same plans for 1 1/2 days pre-cruise. I, like you, thought I had planned everything out well. I was hoping to walk to nearby restaurants and possibly to the water taxi - disappointed to see the hotel is not as good of a location as I thought. How easy is it to catch the Sun Trolly or does the hotel offer any kind of transportation? What about a taxi to the water taxi? We are leaving in a few weeks and I hate to change my hotel now.

I have these exact same plans for 1 1/2 days pre-cruise. I, like you, thought I had planned everything out well. I was hoping to walk to nearby restaurants and possibly to the water taxi - disappointed to see the hotel is not as good of a location as I thought. How easy is it to catch the Sun Trolly or does the hotel offer any kind of transportation? What about a taxi to the water taxi? We are leaving in a few weeks and I hate to change my hotel now.

The sun trolley terminus is directly behind the Embassy Suites in the Harbor Shops shopping center -- you can't get much closer than that! The nearest water taxi stop is at the Hilton Marina -- 1 mile east on 17th Street just before you get to the 17th Street bridge. You can walk if you have no mobility issues (it's all flat since this is South Florida :)) and the weather is decent (it could still be kind of hot and humid with the possibility of thunder storms in the afternoon in mid October), take the sun trolley or take a cab. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the Embassy Suites.

The sun trolley terminus is directly behind the Embassy Suites in the Harbor Shops shopping center -- you can't get much closer than that! The nearest water taxi stop is at the Hilton Marina -- 1 mile east on 17th Street just before you get to the 17th Street bridge. You can walk if you have no mobility issues (it's all flat since this is South Florida :)) and the weather is decent (it could still be kind of hot and humid with the possibility of thunder storms in the afternoon in mid October), take the sun trolley or take a cab. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the Embassy Suites.

Thank you for the info!

• 1 month later...
x2' date=' Capriccio.[/quote']

We just returned and thought I would let you know that we were able to walk from Embassy Suites to the water taxi with no problems. There was also several shops and restaurants around to choose from - we were happy with our stay.

Hi, just wanted to add my thoughts, as I stay in Ft. Lauderdale once or twice a year. Are you sure you don't want to stay more near the beach, or in Hollywood Beach? ES is located on the busy main road (17th), and the port, with a bunch of restaurants and chain stores around. Nothing interesting, IMO, within walking distance. I feel like there are much better areas/hotels to stay that offer more ambiance.

Courtyard Ft. Lauderdale Beach is on of my favorites, oceanfront and you can walk to all the restaurants and shops along A1A. Directly below the hotel is Bubba Gumps, as well.

Have fun, whatever you decide. Ft. Lauderdale is awesome!