New DSC Removal Form

Wendy&Grumpy

I wonder how long this is going to last. Guess they didn't figure in all the administrative costs and other fees a company expends doing a chargeback.
I actually don't think it will cost that much. I don't think that many remove or reduce the DSC and I would bet that a large number of them won't want to deal with the new procedure. So, it will be a win, win for NCL.

Do you think it's a large number of people that do this?

I have no clue whatsoever. I've never removed them and I only hear about it on CC, never hear these discussions on a ship.

I will say though, that if they went to a system whereby the charge was not just compulsory, but mandatory and could not be changed, then a guest has no recourse if they have bad service. I mean if your room steward decided to just skip your room, or your waiters were rude or slow, there would be NOTHING that could be done. That's NOT what this is. That is what many people THINK it is. And they loudly, wildly, excitedly cheer for that sort of system. They operate in a line of thought that says it is impossible for bad service to ever occur, so therefore there is never any reason to reduce the charge.

Since it is in the contract as discretionary if someone wants to remove it, go right ahead for whatever reason you want.

I see a damaging side to this though. Some people claim to increase the DSC but apparently this can no longer be done. How many of THOSE people are going to get off the ship and be bothered with a form to increase money into the tip pool?

My son is under 2 years old and thus is NOT charged DSC. But if I want to increase DSC there are now additional hurdles. Just pointing out a flaw in this change. The old way I could walk up to the desk and it was charged to my credit card and done with.

Edited by LMaxwell

I see a damaging side to this though. Some people claim to increase the DSC but apparently this can no longer be done. How many of THOSE people are going to get off the ship and be bothered with a form to increase money into the tip pool?

They can still tip extra in cash, which is what we did with our room steward. She was wonderful!

It was posted 9/12 by someone onboard

11064824_990148977690310_389274045811119801_n.jpg?oh=4aa6fac92094893b9674f4d055780dd3&oe=56A4AD53

OMG, those 3 sentences at the end and it looks like it has to be written in, instead of type in a Word Document or PDF - this is going to be good....[emoji13]

Edit - Hope people got typewriters, imagine the person that has to process this while trying to understand the handiwriting. [emoji21]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

I have no clue whatsoever. I've never removed them and I only hear about it on CC, never hear these discussions on a ship.

I will say though, that if they went to a system whereby the charge was not just compulsory, but mandatory and could not be changed, then a guest has no recourse if they have bad service. I mean if your room steward decided to just skip your room, or your waiters were rude or slow, there would be NOTHING that could be done. That's NOT what this is. That is what many people THINK it is. And they loudly, wildly, excitedly cheer for that sort of system. They operate in a line of thought that says it is impossible for bad service to ever occur, so therefore there is never any reason to reduce the charge.

Since it is in the contract as discretionary if someone wants to remove it, go right ahead for whatever reason you want.

I think if someone has a legitimate gripe with some level of service that demands a decrease or elimination of the DSC I believe they should be able to decrease it or remove it all together. But what would a legitimate gripe or something hat would warrant this? Not sure but whatever people want to do with the DSC is their own opinion. In my opinion I leave it on because I know there are people I don't even see that do get theI pay from this that services me in some way or another.

There is no reason why someone can't increase the DSC, as I'm sure Guest Services will accommodate. The policy doesn't say anything about increasing, just decreasing - unless I missed something. Please point out if I missed this.

Also, you are right the policy hasn't changed, the procedure for getting money back has. The only thing it does is two fold, (1) it makes the person jump through a few hoops to get their money back and (2) allows NCL to keep track of those customers that do this. I think #2 is great, because I would bet that some have, in the past, just said it was because they didn't feel they got good service and now if the same people continually remove or reduce the DSC, NCL will see the pattern and it will not go against the crew. Good job NCL on both counts!

Edited by NLH Arizona

You're not understanding the sheer hilarity this new procedure has cause and that's okay - the people removing the DSC are never going to get the joke/ humor/irony, ever. Lol. [emoji11] [emoji4]

As long as I get my money the joke, humor or irony is irrelevant.

I think most people can wait 2 weeks for money they don't have and probably don't need given the circumstances. NCL gets a short term loan and no interest at all. The crew still get their paychecks. win-win.

(2) allows NCL to keep track of those customers that do this. I think #2 is great, because I would bet that some have, in the past, just said it was because they didn't feel they got good service and now if the same people continually remove or reduce the DSC, NCL will see the pattern and it will not go against the crew. Good job NCL on both counts!

They could do that previously, no? I mean if you removed it on the ship they'd have to know who it was for?

Not that I have any intention of doing this....this gives a person who wouldn't want to wait in line at guest services an option to decrease their DSC and not do it face to face. There are some people like here on CC who hide behind their PCs that would never talk the way they do on here in person I would bet. So I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Just my opinion. With just filling out a form and mailing it in it gives them some type of screen to hide behind. Time will tell

Geri

There is no reason why someone can't increase the DSC, as I'm sure Guest Services will accommodate. The policy doesn't say anything about increasing, just decreasing - unless I missed something. Please point out if I missed this.

Also, you are right the policy hasn't changed, the procedure for getting money back has. The only thing it does is two fold, (1) it makes the person jump through a few hoops to get their money back and (2) allows NCL to keep track of those customers that do this. I think #2 is great, because I would bet that some have, in the past, just said it was because they didn't feel they got good service and now if the same people continually remove or reduce the DSC, NCL will see the pattern and it will not go against the crew. Good job NCL on both counts!

After seeing the form - it doesn't really keep track of the abuse but it does make the person(s) removing it, jump through alot hoops to get their refund back due to the 3 sentences at the bottom. That means NCL can actually claim they didn't receive the form due to server issues or whatever until the 30 day deadline.They can slack off to the last day and then process it 2 weeks later - OUCH.....

Not that I have any intention of doing this....this gives a person who wouldn't want to wait in line at guest services an option to decrease their DSC and not do it face to face. There are some people like here on CC who hide behind their PCs that would never talk the way they do on here in person I would bet. So I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Just my opinion. With just filling out a form and mailing it in it gives them some type of screen to hide behind. Time will tell

Geri

There is that too, don't have to wait in line and don't have to explain it face to face. Don't even have to name names of whom is giving the bad service. Mostly waiting in line is the big win, that line the last night could be brutal.

After seeing the form - it doesn't really keep track of the abuse but it does make the person(s) removing it, jump through alot hoops to get their refund back due to the 3 sentences at the bottom. That means NCL can actually claim they didn't receive the form due to server issues or whatever until the 30 day deadline.They can slack off to the last day and then process it 2 weeks later - OUCH.....

Call or follow up with an email afterwards and before the last week.

Within two weeks of receipt. - seems pretty straight forward. Heck NCL will likely send a confirm email that they got it automatically.

They could do that previously, no? I mean if you removed it on the ship they'd have to know who it was for?
I would think that it was done on the ship prior to the change and now it will get back to corporate, who has the more wherefore all to really track it customer by customer. They will see who does it every time versus those that do it on a one off basis. I think it will be eye opening to them. And remember, corporate will get this information first and am sure if they think it is a non-issue, the issue will not be sent to the ships.

You didn't answer, why can't someone increase their DSC onboard the ships, because of this new procedure?

Edited by NLH Arizona

It does keep track of the passengers name and the reason for the adjustment and that is all that NCL corporate needs to keep track. I would bet that NCL already has a computer program set up to track all of this.

Thank you for posting the form. It seems straightforward enough. I don't see anywhere that states the person using the form needs to prove or justify their reasoning.

Personally I have never had a reason to remove or adjust my DSC but I do think there needs to be an option to do so if necessary. People can argue till they are blue in the face about whether these monies are gratuities or service charges. The fact is NCL themselves use the terms interchangeably and as such as long as they are set up as the replacement of the old way that gratuities were handled then there needs to be a means to adjust.

I believe this will take a lot of pressure of guest relations, especially on the last day and morning of disembarkation. Furthermore the NCL offices will have a better idea of issues on board that might have caused an adjustment.

As for NCL being able to 'track' and 'punish' those that remove part or all of the gratuities this is just a little fear mongering in my opinion. There was nothing to stop NCL from tracking those that remove part or all of the DSC in the past. It was right there in their computer system.

I hope I never have a reason to need to use this avenue of recompense but I appreciate that issues do happen and people do have their own personal reasons for making adjustments. For those folks I hope the process goes smoothly.

Rochelle

It does keep track of the passengers name and the reason for the adjustment and that is all that NCL corporate needs to keep track. I would bet that NCL already has a computer program set up to track all of this.

That's some Jade Helm 15 speak. They're tracking you. Going to be Martial DSC Law soon. Man the lifeboats! lol

With a large data base I hope.

Um, what is that even relevant?

NCL's not going to turn down future reservations from people who get refunds.

Because guest services no longer handles any modifications. they just hand out the form.
They hand out the form to dissatisfied passengers so they can adjust the DSC for their inconvenience, no where does it say they won't take increases to the DSC. I think you are stretching it on this one.

Call or follow up with an email afterwards and before the last week.

Within two weeks of receipt. - seems pretty straight forward. Heck NCL will likely send a confirm email that they got it automatically.

Umm, they take 4-6 weeks to mail out a check for refundable OBC and you don't see the potential for abuse they just did to the DSC-Removers? Well, we're find out by the end of September or October, if they actually process within 2 weeks at end of some people's trips.

As for NCL being able to 'track' and 'punish' those that remove part or all of the gratuities this is just a little fear mongering in my opinion. There was nothing to stop NCL from tracking those that remove part or all of the DSC in the past. It was right there in their computer system.

I don't see that anyone said that NCL was going to "punish" anyone for removing all or part of the DSC. Could you please point out that post.

They hand out the form to dissatisfied passengers so they can adjust the DSC for their inconvenience, no where does it say they won't take increases to the DSC. I think you are stretching it on this one.

Nowhere does it say dissatisfied. But maybe you are right. Maybe DSC can be increased onboard. I don't know at this point. I doubt anyone on this forum knows.

And, again, if we are going to base discussions on the contract, let's refer back to the contract.