Aft or Forward Penthouse

txstephie

I am looking to book a Penthouse with Large Balcony on the Jade, either Jan or Feb going to the Western Caribbean. I was thinking that I will want to look out and see where we are going, but am concerned about the wind and since it will be winter will the forward part of the ship pitch more than the aft? Also, are the balconies the same size on the Jade? (forward vs. aft). I guess I am just looking for pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance!

We've done both and like both. The forward balconies are at least twice as big, but there is pretty much always wind up front when moving. It didn't bother me, but it can be pretty strong at times. Sometimes the door was hard to open. You also have the bridge crew looking down on you and there is very little shade. That said, the view is beautiful.

The aft balconies are smaller with much less wind making them warmer and you have the lovely and peaceful wake to look at. I'm thinking there was more shade on those balconies but it may have just been the direction we were sailing.

Honestly, I really like both so I'm sure whichever you choose will be great!

We've had both. The cabins are almost the same, some of those forward being a bit larger but there is a big difference in the balcony. We had a forward penthouse on the Pearl last year and loved the cabin but found we didn't use the outside space as much. There is some wind if you're at sea and standing. Sitting down it was fine. There's also a heavy outer door that the steward closed at night. We could have opened the door but didn't most nights. If it was really windy outside, he tied the furniture down. If you're under the bridge you have to keep your drapes closed because the lights can affect their visibility.

The aft penthouses on deck 10 have the largest balconies, nothing like forward but fine for us. We spent a lot more time enjoying it and, for our next 2 cruises, we booked aft penthouses.

There are pros and cons to both so it's really personal preference.

We have done both. Loved the forward penthouse on Sun.

I liked seeing where the ship was heading and we did not have an issue with wind as the balcony is set back.

We did have to close the drapes at night as the stateroom lighting would affect views on the bridge.

I would do another forward stateroom IMHO. Loved it!

I have done Forward Penthouse Suites twice (on Jade and Pearl) so I am naturally biased and think you should go for the Forward Penthouses! I really enjoy the huge balcony even though you don't feel much of any privacy out there (depending on room, you can actually be seen from the "View from the Bridge" channel). There's nothing like waking up in the morning and going outside and see awesome views of whichever port from all directions.

With that said though, I know I would love to stay in an Aft Penthouse one of these days.

We just finished an Alaskan cruise on the Jewel in forward facing penthouse 9500 and it was amazing. We spent hours each day watching Alaska unfold before us. The shape of the bow makes the deck 9 balconies huge (ours was 15' x 20'). We also did an aft facing penthouse on the Sky.

If you stand at the rail while you are underway, it will be windy. IF you sit at the rail, the hull sweeps most of the wind over your head.

We are sold on the front facing balconies. And are sad that the newer ships don't have any.

Deck 10 AFT penthouse... Almost no wind when underway, large enough for 2 padded loungers and the wake is mesmerizing. Of our 3 booked cruises, two of them are Deck 10 AFT penthouses. Our favorite is 10166 (10164 is close to one of the crew closets and from time to time it can be noisy) but this is just our personal preference.