Changes in ID requirements?

bobg529

This has been discussed on the Cruise Air board and elsewhere.

One big problem with the article...it's not true.

First, the earliest date a REAL ID compliant drivers license can be required to board a commercial aircraft is Jan 1, 2016. DHS has not said it will actually begin on that date. The date has been postponed several times and could easily be postponed again.

Second, nothing in the law or regulations as of this time applies to cruises. It might eventually, but it doesn't today.

Edited by njhorseman

That's good to know. I was focusing on this paragraph:

"Debates notwithstanding—and especially with the wait for passports already getting longer—travel agents can help their customers by reminding them that citizens from these four states who were born after Dec. 1, 1964, will no longer be able to board a domestic flight or cruise without a passport. And the sooner they get on line, the better."

It pretty clearly states that neither flights nor cruises would be open to passengers without the proper ID. It doesn't really matter to me as I never travel without my passport. If this IS false, then boo on the author who scared his readers for the sake of sensationalism. :mad:

This has been discussed on the Cruise Air board and elsewhere.

One big problem with the article...it's not true.

First, the earliest date a REAL ID compliant drivers license can be required to board a commercial aircraft is Jan 1, 2016. DHS has not said it will actually begin on that date. The date has been postponed several times and could easily be postponed again.

Second, nothing in the law or regulations as of this time applies to cruises. It might eventually, but it doesn't today.

That was my understanding as well.

Here are more details for those interested:

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

I am from New Zealand and would never go anywhere in the world without my Passport and my Photo ID Drivers Licence.

I also have a paper copy in my luggage and in my wallet and photos on my computer at home and on the tablet with me.

Think what would happen if you were marooned in a foreign country with out real ID. How many have been left in Bermuda in the last month; and that is a friendly country? Try missing the boat in Russia, Oman or India!!!!

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

I am from New Zealand and would never go anywhere in the world without my Passport and my Photo ID Drivers Licence.

I also have a paper copy in my luggage and in my wallet and photos on my computer at home and on the tablet with me.

Think what would happen if you were marooned in a foreign country with out real ID. How many have been left in Bermuda in the last month; and that is a friendly country? Try missing the boat in Russia, Oman or India!!!!

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

Being from Europe (Austria) myself, I guess this information primarily caters to US Americans. With NZ, Australia and European countries, the culture of getting passports is a bit different. We basically *can't* go anywhere without a proper ID. US citizens though can (could) go to every climate and two oceans incl. the caribbean without a passport ;)

I also think that everyone should get a passport if they want to travel anywhere, it's a one time inconvenience/cost (from what I heard on these boards) and offers such a range of advantages (being able to fly home without much trouble if you missed the ship in particular).

The thing that concerns me the most about this whole thing is confusion on the part of travelers, cruise travelers in particular. Some may think that their REAL ID compliant drivers license is an Enhanced Drivers License and believe that is all they need to board a closed loop cruise. They are two different things entirely and if you have a REAL ID compliant license you would still need to present proof of citizenship to board a closed loop cruise.

The biggest impact will be on those needing to fly or to enter a government building for some reason, neither of which will be able to be done (at some point) with a non-compliant drivers license.

That's good to know. I was focusing on this paragraph:

"Debates notwithstanding—and especially with the wait for passports already getting longer—travel agents can help their customers by reminding them that citizens from these four states who were born after Dec. 1, 1964, will no longer be able to board a domestic flight or cruise without a passport. And the sooner they get on line, the better."

It pretty clearly states that neither flights nor cruises would be open to passengers without the proper ID. It doesn't really matter to me as I never travel without my passport. If this IS false, then boo on the author who scared his readers for the sake of sensationalism. :mad:

Since many people book their domestic air travel online, not using a travel agent, unless there is a notice on airline ticketing sites, people from those four places won't know they need a passport to fly domestically.

i am glad it does not affect me since though I have a passport, when I am only flying domestically I leave it safely at home since I am not leaving the country.

However, I do take it on all cruises.

Edited by NMLady