Just Returned on Celebrity Millennium Seward to Vancouver B. C.

onespots

Hello

Just arrived home from the Sept 4th - Sept 11th 2015 sailing. Stayed in a balcony cabin forward on deck 7. Just a few thoughts about our trip I would like to share & the planning it took to make a very successful adventure for us.

To begin, this was our first time in Alaska by rental car & cruise. We decided to take 7 days to explore by car prior to boarding the ship in Seward. ( South bound trip ) This decision was made because we are still working & could get a direct flight to Anchorage from Phoenix in the evening on a Friday after work. Also we wanted daylight while doing the inside passage to enjoy available scenery. Finally this afforded us the entire weekend in Alaska, instead of losing a day due to air travel. We are a mid 60's couple traveling alone on our own schedule.

Upon arrival in Anchorage, we went to the Hertz counter to pick up our car, a Toyota Camry for the following week & return it in Seward. ( Drop - Off fees are high ) however we did not want to lose valuable sightseeing time by returning this unit in Anchorage. When we were ready to board the ship, we simply dropped the bags off at the port & returned the car back to Hertz. After inpection they gave us a ride down to the port to check-in. Fast, simple, & a short distance of less than 2 minutes. So happy I did not have to walk this distance. Thank you Hertz ( Seward )

Planning for this trip began back in February & would have not been possible without this cruise critic board & trip advisor. Thank all of you who share & participate on these forums. The Alaska port of calls board is especially helpful, along with the milepost book. Mapleleaves & Budget Queen.... Big Thanks...

After a short 4 minute ride to the Marriott Airport we quickly checked -in about 1:30am went to sleep for 5 1/2 hours. Showered & headed out for Palmer after a quick coffee fix on the way out of town. The road is excellent & weather conditions overcast but no rain. Stopped in Palmer for some breakfast we began our 2 hour journey to Granview R V Park to see the Glacier. Upon arrival we were informed that there was room for one more couple on the 11:30 am glacier tour. We signed up, with Mica Guides got our clamp-ons & helmet. After a safety lesson & some walking tips, we were on our way. 3 hours later, exhausted & thrilled with lots of information & nice photos, we returned to the car. Now it was time to head to Wasilla, load up on some items needed for car travel, snacks, water, etc ( a small flexible cooler )

More coffee, then headed to Talkeetna for our 2 night stay. We stayed at the Talkeentna Alaskan Lodge arriving an hour before dark. Perfect... Went to the back of the Lodge & took some pictures of Mt. McKinley, then to the lounge for a quick cocktail. Then right to our room for a hot shower & a good nights sleep.

Next morning ( Sunday ) we have a scheduled flightseeing of the mountain at 9:00am with Talkeetna Air. Perfect viewing conditions with a dust of 7 inches of powder last night. Flight was clear & calm. Pilot excellent & very informative. Stated he had not seen the mountain ( soon be Mt. Denali like this for over 8 weeks ) Mostly due to the forest fire in Willow. It was fantastic & the glacier landing very smooth. We were the first to make tracks in this new snow running around like 8 year olds playing & laughing. It was so much fun & lasted about 20 minutes which is enough for some wonderful pictures & falling in this fresh snow. Lucky... Lucky...

We found plenty of things to do filling our time in Talkeetna. Birch Syrup Store, Denali Brewing Co. Shopping, eating, Jet - boat ride up 3 rivers. The best weather the entire time. Unusually clear & warm for the season.

Now a leisurely drive to Anchorage, with little traffic. We were diverted around the city due to the President"s arrival. Hardly effected the traffic flow as we headed to Gridwood. What a wonderful drive, as we stopped many times to enjoy the landscape while following the water. After checking - in at the Hotel Alyeska we rested for about 30 minutes. I had read about the Bore Tides, as luck would have it was the lowest minus tide of the month tonight at 6:34 pm. Many whales had been sighted the last 2 afternoons. So we planned out our time around the tide. Then wind was blowing 30 miles an hour plus. So Shelley stayed in the car most of the time. I was prepared with camera, binoculars, gloves, & a warm cap. The tide was exciting ( my pictures do it no justice ) We waited another 40 minutes hoping to sight a Bulga Whale. I was just ready to leave being encourage by napping wife, when I spotted the first Whale. It was quite a show over the next 25 minutes. I stopped counting after 45 whales. We then moved up the coast about 5 miles & watched for another 10 minutes, as the wind was not nearly as strong. Then back to the hotel for a nice dinner, some liquid refreshment, & early to bed.

We checked out early & loaded the car. Went into town for breakfast. Then back to the hotel for the tram ride. It was interesting but it was much cooler up there & the wind was really blowing hard. It was a short visit, but included in the room rental. We did get a different perspective from there & 1 interesting photo.

Leaving Girdwood heading towards Seward the drive is still very interesting. We observed some birds in the marsh & watched the mud flats slowly disappear. There is some road construction but not bad. Then we took a side trip to the Portage Glacier & gift shop. Unless you take the boat tour, there is not too much to see.

We decided then to head back the other direction up to the Wildlife Refuse Center & we are glad we did. By now it was late afternoon & not too many people in the center. We made it just in time for the 4:30pm bear feeding & detailed care instructions. Some great photo opps. We then wandered around the entire facility for another hour & back to the bears. No one was there & but us... the bears of course were just as active, so we had to take even more photos. This capped a great day with a short drive down to Seward & the WindSong Lodge for the next 3 nights. Well... Things don't always workout, we were blocked at the entrance into Seward about 10 miles out of town due to the arrival of the President by helicopter, who would be visiting Exit Glacier. Our wait about 45 minutes... Certainly not deal braker as the weather was warm & sunny.

Upon check - in were are tired. Have a light dinner with some Alaska Amber walk back to the room. Catch up on the news which immediately put me to sleep for a long night's rest. Next bright & beautiful. Check out the town, small boat harbor, & get ready for our 11:30 am Kenai Peninsula Tour. Just could not had a clearer & calmer day for this trip. WOW!!! Really enjoyed it with all the landscape, ocean, glaciers, birds & wildlife. We only saw one whale. This only added to our enjoyment. Later we would see many & much closer at Icy Strait Point.

The next day it rained very hard in this entire area. We decided to drive to Soldotna, Kenai & check out Cooper Landing. We have good rain gear so it did not slow us down much & we got to see more of this beautiful state. Our photos are not good due to gray overcast, fog, & rain. Lots of high water in the rivers running very fast. We return to the hotel again for dinner in town & a good night's sleep.

Friday early morning we check out the local bakery for coffee & treats. Then a drive to the end of the point & the rock beach at the end of town after you leave the pavement. Very nice with camping available, lots of hikes, B&B's, fishing & more lodging. The weather is now slowly improving but rain. With lots of time left we drive to the other side of the bay to explore.Returning back to Seward we cross a small bridge & I notice a group of seagulls down on the river. Stop the car to check it out & all kinds of salmon are stacked up like cords of wood on the side of this stream spawning away. Another photo opp & in between rain showers. ( good timing ) 40 minutes we have had our fill & head to the Millennium to check - in.

None of this would have been possible without the great information from you folks.

Thank you all... Will follow up tomorrow about the sailing & some shore excursions we took. John

To Lukydog

I am not good with the computer. I do not know how to post pictures to this post. If you could point me in the correct direction, I will attempt to post a few.

As I took so many pictures I have not begun to organize & fix them yet. Likely this weekend. Some of the photos are ok right out of the camera, unfortunately many need help as my skills are weak a best.

Thanks John

Hello

Thank you, Keith1010 for your interest.

I would like to re-cap the main things we did on the land portion which was all pre-planned for those who are doing this for the first time.

It is important to be aware of driving times & distance to maximize your trip. Plan your lodging ahead & get it confirmed. You can adjust your schedule by interests & be spontaneous along the route knowing where you need to be at night fall. Locals are great for sharing their knowledge about the area.

( listen to them )

Highlights of our land portion of this trip:

Mat-Su Valley drive out of Palmer was beautiful with the fall colors as we headed towards the Matanuska Glacier. This glacier is 27 miles long & 4 miles wide. We used Mica Guides for this tour. 3 hours & thrilling for us.

Watched a Cow Moose cross the road on our return & stared at us for a few minutes. WOW !

Flightseeing over Denali Mountain with Talkeetna Air Taxi with glacier landing. Perfect conditions made this an outstanding trip with a really nice pilot explaining useful information. 1.45 hr. flight including 20-25 minutes on the glacier. Spectacular

Jet Boat Ride up the 3 rivers out of Talkeetna. Interesting, weather outstanding. Little wildlife however very scenic. 2 1/2 hr.

Next working our way to Anchorage not too scenic, however once through town & on the way to Girdwood things change beautifully. Really enjoyed this section with many stops. Take your time enjoy the drive.

Really not much for us right in Girdwood. Drove up to the gold mine.. Would be fun if you have young children or you are interested in gold mining.

Bore Tides exciting with the Belga Whale Watch. Portage Glacier available south of town. Alaska Wildlife Center we enjoyed this stop. Lots of animals, some nice photos, & a huge gift shop.

Seward we did the Seavey's Dog Sled Tour. Lot of fun, guide full of information & answered all questions. The ride was fun & handling the young puppies was a treat. Dogs & driver are in great shape & interesting to know how much gear it takes to do a race.

Kenai Fjord Tour not to be missed. We had perfect weather & no seas. A win-win for us. Went on the big boat plenty of room as boat was not full.

Seward Sealife Center was very interesting & well done. Impressed with this center being so large in a small town. Timing perfect as it was raining.

Okay lets start on the Millennium.

Embarkation was a breeze & we were quickly on board & handed a refreshing mimosa. It has been 10 years since we last sailed on this vessel & we were excited to see the changes. After a short discovery tour, we had lunch & our luggage was waiting for us outside the cabin. Quickly we organized our belongings & placed the cases under the bed. Another quick shower & ready for " HAPPY HOUR " We selected the early dinning in the MDR & were given a table for 6 towards the center of the room. We met our new tablemates who were all traveling together from California. We enjoyed their company throughout the week & shared many stories about our daily adventures. We were somewhat more adventurous & active than they were. Still they seemed interested in the activities that we pursued. ( I hope ? )

Next was the day at sea. Priority was to attend the theatre & listen to the naturalist. Mission accomplished. I then went to the CC connections party. I was uncomfortable. There were more officiers at this party than passengers.

Our board was very quiet & appears lots of no-shows. Then only connection I made was with the coffee pot.

First Stop.... Juneau

Taku Lodge Feast & 5 Glacier Seaplane must be booked through Celebrity & operated by Wings Air. Weather cloudy & overcast. Flight was fine, for me just not that interesting after Mt. Denali. Also pilot plays an audio tape which explains what you might be seeing. No inter-action with pilot ( very boring ) way too commercial.... just an air taxi to get you to the lodge. These guys do this 4-6 times a day, so they have a set schedule.

The GOOD...

The Taku Lodge is wonderful & sits at the base of a glacier. It consists of several buildings & has a very colorful history. Everywhere is water, nature, trees, & wildlife . It did not rain so we enjoyed ourselves for almost 2 hours. The Salmon Bake was super & the entire meal is home cooked. Maybe the best meal of the trip. The lodge staff is very nice & shared a lot of information. Arrival & departure by seaplane is exciting with up to 5 planes at a time. Expensive yes ! We thought it was worth the money.

Second Stop... Skagway

Dyea Dave Emerald Lake Tour 7:45-3:00pm. This tour is on a small white shuttle bus like the airports use. Hold maybe 20-24 passengers. This morning there is only 6 of us & lots of room to spread out. Renee our driver is a very charming woman. Very friendly & helpfull. Explained many sights along our travels & was willing to stop anywhere, especially for an animal sighting. We choose this over the Yukon Trail/White Pass train because the train does not stop. We were interested in taking more photos & as much time as needed at a particular stop. Renee likes to take pictures & had many suggestions we would have never found with a rental car. Fall colors abound & we went 20-25 miles deeper into the Yukon than the train station. You need your passport to cross into Canada. Lunch stop in Carcross & some quick photos, then back on the road to Shagway. Booked on the internet it is a bargain.

Still had plenty of time to explore Shagway... Then down to the creek to find some more fish spawning. BINGO !!! Also saw some harbor seals working the area as the sun was shinning in the late afternoon. Great day for us, but must hurry back for " HAPPY HOUR "

Third Stop... Icy Strait Point

Okay this is the real Alaska... Because it has no dock for cruise ships & we must tender. No big deal.... it was easy as we had an 8:15 am Whale Watch Tour with Misty Bay Lodge until 11:30am. Shuttle van was waiting at the end of the pier parking lot for us. 1.5 miles later at the harbor all checked in & ready to board the boat. Captain Dan greeted us along with his deckhand & quickly we were off to see the whales. The weather was calm & low overcast, however the sun was always trying to breakout. Good conditions for whales. 12 minutes later we spot our first whale & the crowd goes crazy!!! This is a wonderful boat for 16 people, we only had 10 for this first trip of the day. My wife was thrilled at all the whales & action. All Humpbacks. We saw singles, groups of 3 or 6 whales & one large group of a 12 or more. Very active & Capt. Dan did a good job of keeping us on the whales. Where did the 3 hours go ? We saw so much & were so lucky to get close. Capt. Dan would cut the engines & drift & some of the whale were really close. It was so quiet, & then one would blow next to the boat & the loud noisy startled everyone at first. It was exciting. Lucky Lucky Lucky !!!

Capt. Dan was very pleased. I jokingly asked for a discount because we were only a few miles above the bow of the Millennium. ( Think of all the fuel he saved not running around the ocean chasing these monsters ) We loved it, more time viewing, less time prospecting.

Fourth Stop... Ketchikan

Ketchikan Taxi at 9:00am until noon. Weather sunny no rain. Are we lucky or what ?

Dave was ready for the 4 of us in his van so we could tour the island. Dave has vast knowledge & shared much information about this area. We stopped at many places the other tours do not go. Eagles & fish were around these areas & Dave said there have been a lot of bear sightings recently. We took many photos & enjoyed his comments. He charges by the van at $74.00 per hr. & can take up to 6 people. My wife who is always moving still felt she need the Saxman Village & Lumberjack Show. Both interesting, the Lumberjacks are funny & interact with the crowd. Of course by now I am tired & want to return to the ship... NOT A CHANCE !!! First we must do a little shopping.... All of this with my thirst rising for one of those Alaska Amber Beers... I bit my tongue & submit. Finally we walk back to the ship & I'm ready to unwind. A quick shower & I sneak down to the bar quickly while she is getting ready & drink a much needed adult beverage. When I return she is ready for " Happy Hour " & off to dinner.

Okay to Finish...

We loved the whole trip, obviously the weather was in our favor the entire time. The land portion somewhat difficult, but really slugging the luggage was the most difficult. That's why we tried to stay multiple nights at our locations. We found most of the people on the ship engaging & experienced travelers. The dress casual & comfortable for men, ladies we know you like to dress & that's wonderful.

Food we thought was very good in the MDR & our servers were excellent. We ate once in Quisine with another couple & it was fun, volume food too great, & very tasty. Housekeeping standards very high & my bucket of ice requested each day by 4pm made it all days but the last one. No complaints here...

Debarkation was slow, it didn't matter to us as we had no flight out of Vancouver. We went to the airport, rented a car & spent the weekend at Whistler Mountain. Weather again perfect very warm & sunny. Returned to Vancouver Sunday morning to catch flight to Phoenix a 2:30 pm flight.

Yeah we did a lot & we were tired from the last 17 days, but it was all worth it & we would do it again.

Thanks for listening.... Wishing You All Happy Travels.... John

To Lukydog

I am not good with the computer. I do not know how to post pictures to this post. If you could point me in the correct direction, I will attempt to post a few.

As I took so many pictures I have not begun to organize & fix them yet. Likely this weekend. Some of the photos are ok right out of the camera, unfortunately many need help as my skills are weak a best.

Thanks John

I have never tried posting any photos either, but I have seen topics on here on how to do it. Would have to do a search probably.

Glad to hear you had such a good visit, a very busy one.

Too bad you can't add photos . Can't help you there. I've never posted photos.... I didn't even take my camera last time!

Please add this link to the trip report thread .... your detailed information about lodging and vendors will be helpful to people planning a visit next year.

We just returned from the same dates but were on the RCI Radiance. Great trip and how lucky were we to have such good weather. We saw the northern lights one night from our ship did you manage to see them too ? Also first time we've been in Ketchikan during the Salmon run..we walked a bit above Creek Street toward the hatchery and saw hundreds and during the high tide there were seals and jellyfish in the creek :eek:

Edited by Ashland

We just returned from the same dates but were on the RCI Radiance. Great trip and how lucky were we to have such good weather. We saw the northern lights one night from our ship did you manage to see them too ? Also first time we've been in Ketchikan during the Salmon run..we walked a bit above Creek Street toward the hatchery and saw hundreds and during the high tide there were seals and jellyfish in the creek :eek:

We did not see the Northern Lights clearly, however when leaving Ketchikan we did see some activity. The sky was partly cloudy but we could see some of this event from the ship. It was early in the morning about 1:30am. We heard from the locals in Ketchikan the night before was very clear & the show was on between 11:00pm - 1:30am. So happy for you to witness this event. John

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and I enjoyed it.

I was on the Star Princess one week before you and had great weather too!

How did you like the ship? I haven't sailed on Celebrity for a long time but have plans to next year on this same itinerary.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and I enjoyed it.

I was on the Star Princess one week before you and had great weather too!

How did you like the ship? I haven't sailed on Celebrity for a long time but have plans to next year on this same itinerary.

Hello Linda,

Forget about any negative reports on the Celebrity Millennium. This ship is wonderful. We felt the services levels were very high. Housekeeping & MDR exceptional. Bar service could be slow at peak times.( usual on all ships )

We found this vessel to clean & tidy. The staff, crew, & officiers were very friendly. Everyone seemed to behaving a good time. This ship is slated to go into dry dock in the spring for some retro-fitting & be ready for the Alaska season. Captain informed all the passengers on the Millennium that they were voted #1 in the Celebrity Fleet.

We chose the early seating for dinning at a table for 6 & we were very happy with our new table-mates throughout this voyage. Good weather & company made for a super trip. ( I don't think you will be disappointed )

Celebrity caters to the 55 plus crowd, few children, & we thought the food was very good. John

Hello Linda,

Forget about any negative reports on the Celebrity Millennium. This ship is wonderful. We felt the services levels were very high. Housekeeping & MDR exceptional. Bar service could be slow at peak times.( usual on all ships )

We found this vessel to clean & tidy. The staff, crew, & officiers were very friendly. Everyone seemed to behaving a good time. This ship is slated to go into dry dock in the spring for some retro-fitting & be ready for the Alaska season. Captain informed all the passengers on the Millennium that they were voted #1 in the Celebrity Fleet.

We chose the early seating for dinning at a table for 6 & we were very happy with our new table-mates throughout this voyage. Good weather & company made for a super trip. ( I don't think you will be disappointed )

Celebrity caters to the 55 plus crowd, few children, & we thought the food was very good. John

John, thanks for the additional details! I know I won't be disappointed since all I really need is a clean bed and some food for the week. The trip is my priority but friendly service does go a long way :)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Thanks for all the great info. Wondering if you can comment on two things...

1) How far ahead did you book your rental car with Hertz? We are looking to do the same drive, stopping in Girdwood on the way to returning the car in Seward. When I called Hertz today the lady told me they don't allow one way rentals from Anchorage to Seward, which I know from all the info on this board is simply not true. We will be there in early Aug 2016 and I am just wondering if I am either too early or too late. Hoping it's not the latter.

2) How was Hotel Alyeska? We haven't booked yet, however, are considering a stay there as well.

TIA

1) How far ahead did you book your rental car with Hertz? We are looking to do the same drive, stopping in Girdwood on the way to returning the car in Seward. When I called Hertz today the lady told me they don't allow one way rentals from Anchorage to Seward, which I know from all the info on this board is simply not true. We will be there in early Aug 2016 and I am just wondering if I am either too early or too late. Hoping it's not the latter.

2) How was Hotel Alyeska? We haven't booked yet, however, are considering a stay there as well.

TIA

We booked the Hertz rental in March, you can even book sooner. The rates continually goes up as the Alaska season draws near. You can always change your booking if the rate drops. We checked about every 3 weeks but never saw a drop. Whatever you are quoted be sure to make copy of your reservation & quoted rate. The clerk in Anchorage was going to charge me $300.00 more until I produced the copy. He quickly made a copy for his file, returned my to me, & charged us the lower rate. ( sure glad I had a copy )

Our rate was $385 for the 7 day rental with a $500.00 drop for the one way rental from Anchorage to Seward. Along with Taxes, etc is was just under $1000.00. Worth it to us not to lose valuable sighting-seeing time.

Hotel Alyeska is the best hotel we stayed in, but not the most expensive. Room was great, nice lobby & beautiful grounds. Lot of things to do around the hotel. The people were great, we ate at one of the lesser restaurants. The food was okay, service excellent, & priced accordingly. We had a quick adult beverage in the bar which is small & not busy at 7:00pm. The bed is excellent & I did not want to awake early to leave such comfort. Best sleep of the trip. You can book early here too, as they get large groups staying at the hotel. Several excursion groups were leaving the hotel the next morning. The tram ticket was included in our room rental which I did not know. This is a classic ski lodge hotel, you will enjoy it. John

Thanks John. Sounds like I am definitely not too late to make a booking with Hertz, so I'll just keep checking and book at the first opportunity I can. We also like the freedom the car allows us, so are willing to pay the drop off fee.

I had read lots of great things on the hotel, so it definitely feels like the right choice for us.

Thanks again!

TIA

FYI, I have booked my vehicle for next July '16 with Hertz pick up in Anchorage and drop off in Seward and I have no drop off charge at all. I would highly recommend booking as soon as possible, you can always rebook if a lower rate presents itself or cancel altogether.

Just my numbers, Intermediate car at 133/day, with taxes 730 for 4 days.

Hope this helps!

TIA

I don't know how much time you have but it appears that you have at least 2days. Another option to avoid the expensive one-way rental is to do RT Anchorage. Keep in mind that Seward is only 125 miles away but the majority of sights are within 50 miles of Anchorage.

-Day 1 pick up car in Anc at 9am. Spend the day sightseeing along the Turnagain Arm. Overnight at alyeska if that's a priority.

- day 2 additional sightseeing. Return the car by 2pm. Board the 3pm Park Connection Bus which arrives to Seward at 3pm

FYI, I have booked my vehicle for next July '16 with Hertz pick up in Anchorage and drop off in Seward and I have no drop off charge at all. I would highly recommend booking as soon as possible, you can always rebook if a lower rate presents itself or cancel altogether.

Just my numbers, Intermediate car at 133/day, with taxes 730 for 4 days.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response.

Did you book directly through Hertz? It is frustrating to me that I am not seeing availability on-line and when I called them directly the person told me misinformation.

I will definitely call them back and get to the bottom of this.

First, thanks for the trip report. Really enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for the response.

Did you book directly through Hertz? It is frustrating to me that I am not seeing availability on-line and when I called them directly the person told me misinformation.

I will definitely call them back and get to the bottom of this.

I've been trying to book one way Seward to Anchorage for almost two months. I even called Hertz national rental line and Seward location directly. Both tell me it's not possible to do that until after Jan. 1st. Based on last year's information, the drop-off charge will likely be in the $300 range, so we have planned to take the bus and rent the car in Anchorage and return it to Anchorage for our land portion.

I don't know how much time you have but it appears that you have at least 2days. Another option to avoid the expensive one-way rental is to do RT Anchorage. Keep in mind that Seward is only 125 miles away but the majority of sights are within 50 miles of Anchorage.

-Day 1 pick up car in Anc at 9am. Spend the day sightseeing along the Turnagain Arm. Overnight at alyeska if that's a priority.

- day 2 additional sightseeing. Return the car by 2pm. Board the 3pm Park Connection Bus which arrives to Seward at 3pm

Thanks for your input and suggestions. We are actually planning to pick up the car on Sunday and make our way to Seward for our cruise departure on Fri. We plan 1 night in Anchorage, 2 nights in Girdwood and 2 nights in Seward. We really like the freedom of having a car to get around, so plan to just keep it the whole time. If we don't get the car, we will likely do the gold star service on the train, which is not cheap for 3.