Inside Passage on Princess - North or South bound?

Auntiejo

Does anyone have any feedback on whether the North or South bound Inside Passage itinerary is better on Princess, and why? Looking into booking our first trip to Alaska. Definitely want to stay in Vancouver a few days, and would prefer to do that pre cruise, but can absolutely do the reverse route from Anchorage if it's better for some reason. Haven't started any research for the trip yet, just trying to determine dates and voyage to start with. Thanks.

Northbound if booking early in the season, south if near the end. Alaska in early May, some vendors/tours may not be open yet. If visiting Denali, the longer shuttle buses don’t go into the park as far until June 1. September you lose a lot of light vs. earlier in the season. Do you want to see Hubbard Glacier-SB or College Fjord-NB?

Does anyone have any feedback on whether the North or South bound Inside Passage itinerary is better on Princess, and why? Looking into booking our first trip to Alaska. Definitely want to stay in Vancouver a few days, and would prefer to do that pre cruise, but can absolutely do the reverse route from Anchorage if it's better for some reason. Haven't started any research for the trip yet, just trying to determine dates and voyage to start with. Thanks.

I suggest you rethink your "booking strategy" . you state you "haven't started any research", so you are "ok" with just randomly booking a direction" without knowing details about Alaska travel? For many- a cruise selection involves a lot more than that?

Before you select a cruise you MAY want to determine some of the following?

When are you going?. Are you doing any mainland Alaska touring? Have you selected ALL your tours? Differences in port times? Looked at flight times, and costs? Traveling Inside Vancouver Island a priority?

In my opinion, ALL the above needs to be answered before you jump into a cruise booking. Repetitively, I see, "oh, I didn't know that" etc, when posters are told, what they thought, or want to do is inaccurate/unavailable. It's much better to make the right selections to begin with. Very few, make changes.

I'll offer for your consideration...Starting your cruise in Vancouver which will be a northbound itinerary...

I much prefer to sail towards Alaska than away from it...and the sail out of Vancouver past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge...what a way to start your cruise.

We tend to like the late May sailings...JMHO.

Regardless of what works for you...Enjoy !!

Either direction is fine.

I always think it is wise to spend a day ore more pre cruise so I would start in Vancouver and spend two or thee pre cruise days there.

When your cruise ends in Seward you can get a late night flight and fly home from Anchorage that day or even stay one day if you wish.

Keith

Like BQ says do research on what interests you most. Each route has advantages and drawbacks.

Northbound

I like the extra time in Juneau that allows the full day Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm. College Fjord used to be a big favorite but the glaciers have changed quite a bit over the years and to me its not as impressive as it used to be. I like how the scenery gets more impressive as you head North. I think generally you have a bit longer port times.

Southbound

Love the evening sailaway from Whittier, to me this is some of the most spectacular scenery on the trip. Heading North you usually miss it as its dark when you arrive in Whittier. Hubbard Glacier is fantastic if you can get close but you have the possibility of missing it. I also think Vancouver is an easier airport to arrive at than to fly out of so that is a minus for Southbound.

n general I like sailing late May to late June for the longer daylight hours, a little less crowds and possibly drier weather.

My vote goes to the southbound itinerary ffrom Whittier.

I just returned from my third southbound sailing on September 5 and really enjoyed taking the railroad to Whittier followed by the 26 Glacier Cruise - before boarding the ship just before dinner time. It was a great way to start off a cruise the includes Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

The longer port time in Ketchikan is nice too and the northbound sailings depart in the early afternoon :(

Lastly, I like the Whittier or Seward area more for precruise since I am sailing for Alaska :D

Good luck in choosing and enjoy your trip!