"Unfinished" Bottles of Wine Policy?

jimdee3636

I'm about to go on my second Princess cruise (Ruby out of San Pedro---Sept.29-October 3). As I did on my previous Princess cruise, I'll be sailing alone and purchasing the "full" $49/day beverage package. I know that the package, along with all its other benefits, entitles you to a deeply-discounted price (40% off) on all bottles of wine in any of the restaurants. I'll probably be dining alone most nights, either in the MDR or Sabattini's, and I'm wondering what would happen if I were to order a full bottle of wine but didn't choose to finish it that night. On Holland America, they will always save it for you for the following night (or whenever you next eat at that dining venue), but does Princess do something similar? I realize that wines by the glass are included in the beverage package, but I'm sure that many wines on the "bottle" list are better, and would be a bargain at 40% off. Thanks in advance or any information you may have.

Princess will store any bottle of wine for you & it's even possible to have it in a different dining room.

We do that all the time. Fairly often we will order two bottles with dinner. For example, at Crown Grill my wife might order a white wine with mussels, and I might order a red wine with a fillet mignon. More than likely we will not finish either bottle. No problem, the waiter stops up the bottles, and has them stored. (If the red is a particularly good one, a reserve bottling, for example, offering the remaining wine to the headwaiter and staff has earned me some brownie points and extra attention on subsequent visits. :D) The next evening we may be at Sabatini's and ask the waiter to retrieve the bottles from the previous evening. Mentioning that we'd stored the bottles from the Crown Grill does help him retrieve them faster.

Another data point - I've had challenges having partial bottles returned from Anytime Dining - do try to note your previous dining room and table.

I'm a cork dork, but I'll happily drink anything decent put in front of me. I have to say that Princess has *wildly* improved the wines by the glass in the MDRs since introducing the Beverage Package, and Vines has stuff I routinely drink at home. The whites in the MDR are definitely less desirable than the reds. However, there is a solution; have Vines pour you a glass of something white and delicious as you head for dinner. (or red and delicious if that's your thing). I haven't been buying bottles even with the discount.

You can also take partially full bottles back to your cabin and consume them, or even bring them back yourself the next day to DR. I prefer to keep my own with me in case I want some more later or the next afternoon while getting ready for dinner.

Wow! Thanks for this information. I have wanted to do this, but I didn't have the nerve to ask.

Thanks so much!

There have been times when we decided to not go to the dining room but ate in the buffet. They went and got our bottles of wine. Same for a specialty restaurant: your wine can be retrieved.
There is usually no problem getting your bottle to you when you change dining locations from night to night. The only time we had a problem was when they still allowed magnums to be brought on board. The first night we ate at Sabatini's and then we ate in one of the DR's the next night. It took them almost 30 minutes to find our bottle. I told to look for the very large one [emoji33]

I'm passing this information on to a friend who's sailing with me-he enjoys his wine and will be VERY pleased with this information! :D

Yes, it's very convenient. We have traditional dining, but I understand it works just as well in Anytime.

Yes, it's very convenient. We have traditional dining, but I understand it works just as well in Anytime.

He's VERY pleased and has nicknamed me "Squirrel" for all the "nuts" of information I keep finding on Cruise Critic and passing to him! He's still working full time, whereas I "retired on Medical grounds" eight years ago, so have the time to research. WHAT a hardship! :rolleyes:

When you purchase a bottle of wine in one of the dining rooms, at the end of the meal your waiter will give you a card to bring to your next dinner, no matter which dining room or specialty restaurant, to help them locate and identify your partial bottle.

When you purchase a bottle of wine in one of the dining rooms, at the end of the meal your waiter will give you a card to bring to your next dinner, no matter which dining room or specialty restaurant, to help them locate and identify your partial bottle.
I've never been given a card. If I do happen to get a bottle of wine, it can last me 6-7 days (I don't drink much) so I'm always having it stored. Never seen or been given a card.

I've never been given a card. If I do happen to get a bottle of wine, it can last me 6-7 days (I don't drink much) so I'm always having it stored. Never seen or been given a card.

No card. Since we always do traditional, the waiter knows us and often our bottle is sitting there waiting for us. I'm not much of a drinker, either, but I do like the opportunity to taste new wines from all over the world. DH is happy to polish off the bottle when asked. :)

This hasn't happened to us either. Actually sounds like a good idea from this waiter. Especially when requesting the bottle at a different venue another day. The next venue's waiter has to write all the info down and then hunt or pass the info to someone who does the run. Just hand him a card, and it's a simpler process.

Either way, we have been known to have two different bottles going at once. Depends on the meal and mood.;)

They once lost our bottle when we dined in a specialty restaurant and then tried to get it the following evening at our usual traditional table. Make see your waiter has legible handwriting haha! The last time I didn't have any trouble, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have always been given a card for easy location of my wine. Works well.