Sir Samuels for Get-Together?

MarkBearSF

I'm hosting the get together for our roll call on a QM2 crossing in May. There are MANY people in the roll call who are doing an earlier Eastbound crossing on the Caribbean Princess. As a result, our number has swelled to over 50 members (and companions).

Based upon many comments here, my plans were to simply arrange to show up to the Commodore Club around 2:00 on the first sea day. For a dozen people, that may be fine, but for 50, probably not. Also, the CP cruisers, who comprise over 2/3 of the group will have been socializing with each other for almost 2 weeks, so we are likely to be more boisterous than the usual roll call where everyone meets for the first time.

I'm still leery of officially requesting an event, lest we wind up in a conference room on day 3. Whichever lounge is selected, I'll drop by the day before, and an hour before to give a heads-up to the bar staff in case they need to temporarily shift a couple of people.

I was thinking of Sir Samuels. It might be a bit tight at peak, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I seem to recall it being very under-occupied, and not used for activities. It's also in the thick of things. The Chart Room seems more meandering and is used for more activities which we would potentially interrupt, the Pub is great but too busy by itself (and used for trivia), The Pool Bar at the top is way too far out of the way, (and may be noisy if the pool is busy). The Winter Garden - just plain no.

Opinions?

Edited by MarkBearSF

I'm hosting the get together for our roll call on a QM2 crossing in May. There are MANY people in the roll call who are doing an earlier Eastbound crossing on the Caribbean Princess. As a result, our number has swelled to over 50 members (and companions).

Based upon many comments here, my plans were to simply arrange to show up to the Commodore Club around 2:00 on the first sea day. For a dozen people, that may be fine, but for 50, probably not. Also, the CP cruisers, who comprise over 2/3 of the group will have been socializing with each other for almost 2 weeks, so we are likely to be more boisterous than the usual roll call where everyone meets for the first time.

I'm still leery of officially requesting an event, lest we wind up in a conference room on day 3. Whichever lounge is selected, I'll drop by the day before, and an hour before to give a heads-up to the bar staff in case they need to temporarily shift a couple of people.

I was thinking of Sir Samuels. It might be a bit tight at peak, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I seem to recall it being very under-occupied, and not used for activities. It's also in the thick of things. The Chart Room seems more meandering and is used for more activities which we would potentially interrupt, the Pub is great but too busy by itself (and used for trivia), The Pool Bar at the top is way too far out of the way, (and may be noisy if the pool is busy). The Winter Garden - just plain no.

Opinions?

why don't you try the champagne bar Mark. Its got a really nice ambiance, and I think it is under utilised during the day....

Edited by roscoe39

I'm agree - the champagne bar would be a much better venue. Offhand I'm not certain that Sir Samuel's could accommodate 50, and isn't set up well for drinks other than coffee.

Princess passengers are accustomed to large roll calls. I assisted with prep for my Caribbean Princess roll call and we had close to 100.

I'm agree - the champagne bar would be a much better venue. Offhand I'm not certain that Sir Samuel's could accommodate 50, and isn't set up well for drinks other than coffee.

Princess passengers are accustomed to large roll calls. I assisted with prep for my Caribbean Princess roll call and we had close to 100.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I also have a friend doing the crossing at the start of the World Cruise (we're the first one after) and I'll get his daily programme to get a sense of the likely lineup on our crossing.

...and yeah, I've realized that this roll call will be different than the typical QM2 CC group.

Sir Samuel's won't fit 50. Remember that it's full of tables so that will decrease circulation among CC members. Does the Champagne bar serve drinks other than champagne? (Haven't tried it since I'm a Friend of Bill.)

The Commodore Club isn't normally busy at 2PM. If all 50 or thereabouts come you could just take over the place - I'm sure the ship will appreciate the bar revenue.

You're right NOT to get the ship officially involved. Once you do, you lose control over the time and venue. You could end up down in Connexions. :eek:

The champagne bar is typically unstaffed but the Chart Room is right next door and they're connected.

they will staff the bar if there are people in the room. A quick word with one of the bar managers in the Chart room will suffice if you need to.

The Commodore Club isn't normally busy at 2PM. If all 50 or thereabouts come you could just take over the place - I'm sure the ship will appreciate the bar revenue.

I would think that's good advice considering that the Commodore Club consists of sleepers and readers at that time of day. We've had good luck with a large group meeting on the left hand side (opposite side from the piano) since the sleepers and readers always choose the window seats. :)

I would think that's good advice considering that the Commodore Club consists of sleepers and readers at that time of day. We've had good luck with a large group meeting on the left hand side (opposite side from the piano) since the sleepers and readers always choose the window seats. :)

I'm trying to understand "left hand side (opposite side from piano)" since the piano is on the port side, and the windows are in the front. Most CC groups meet in that little railed-off area around the piano, which should be sufficiently far back from the windows to avoid disturbing readers. The analogous space on the starboard side, also railed off, is less desirable because of the smells which leak out of the adjacent cigar lounge.

Actually, I don't see why the Winter Garden was summarily dismissed. Granted, it's dreary, but it sounds like your group will be providing its own energy and entertainment, and the space is certainly huge.

Can someone confirm whether there are basic bar drinks available at the Champagne Bar?

When we were on board in February/March the Champagne Bar would serve any drinks requested not just Champagne. This was pre-dinner but I would assume that it would be the same during the day.

On our sailing, Sir Samuels was packed during the day with people drinking tea/coffee so it definitely would not have been suitable as a venue for a gathering.

We had a small gathering in the Commodore Club but it also coincided with a wedding on the port side and a Friends of Dorothy meeting on the starboard side so lucky we were a small group. Perhaps the Wintergarden is the way to go!

When we were on board in February/March the Champagne Bar would serve any drinks requested not just Champagne. This was pre-dinner but I would assume that it would be the same during the day.

On our sailing, Sir Samuels was packed during the day with people drinking tea/coffee so it definitely would not have been suitable as a venue for a gathering.

We had a small gathering in the Commodore Club but it also coincided with a wedding on the port side and a Friends of Dorothy meeting on the starboard side so lucky we were a small group. Perhaps the Wintergarden is the way to go!

Isn't this why it may be better to arrange things through the official channels?

Actually, I don't see why the Winter Garden was summarily dismissed. Granted, it's dreary, but it sounds like your group will be providing its own energy and entertainment, and the space is certainly huge.

There are usually Spa Lectures in the Winter Garden at 2pm and 3pm on sea days.

Edited by Host Hattie

Just as long as it's vacant to use. I can confirm recently we had a problem on 'three separate occasions' to pull our group together ( our group was just under 20 people)

Either there was a marriage ceremony (in fact there were three during our crossing) or a Whisky/Martini Tasting Event going on. From my experience I can confirm they will not allow 'very very large groups' to arrive unannounced.

One should also bear in mind that in the Commodore Bar at around 2.30/3.pm, (as in most of the venues around the QM) there will only be a skeleton crew on duty. Many crew members are taking a well earned break before reporting for evening duties at around 5/6pm or, have been rotated to other duties e.g. preparing for afternoon tea or even conducting the Tasting Events etc.

That is why I still believe the OP should give the heads up well in advance to the 'Manager Bars' (formally public rooms manager) not to be confused with a senior Bar crew member.

I don't believe you'll be banished to connexions they will only be too pleased that your group intends to support the bar revenue and they will make arrangements to provide/rotate additional crew members for your event.

Good Luck :)

Edited by Bell Boy

I don't believe you'll be banished to connexions they will only be too pleased that your group intends to support the bar revenue and they will make arrangements to provide/rotate additional crew members for your event.
One would think. And yet it has happened, more recently on QM2 but also on QV. Coffee and cookies served but distant from any bar.

I didn't organize either meeting so I don't know what requests were made. We did get an apology for the QM2 meeting space/prep and another meeting was scheduled later in the voyage (also in Connexions). But that outcome has its own issues and conflicts.

Mark, just to add to the above (I was timed out)

I don't think a bar crew member ( no mater how senior he or she maybe) will have the authority to temporarily shift a couple of crew members from one venue to another within an hours notice, It's all about working hours and the duty day.

This is why, I still feel you would be better going through the proper channels, especially for a group of this size ( you have mentioned 50 + additional companions) for your event to be a success.

However Good Luck :)

Mark, just to add to the above (I was timed out)

I don't think a bar crew member ( no mater how senior he or she maybe) will have the authority to temporarily shift a couple of crew members from one venue to another within an hours notice, It's all about working hours and the duty day.

This is why, I still feel you would be better going through the proper channels, especially for a group of this size ( you have mentioned 50 + additional companions) for your event to be a success.

However Good Luck :)

Thank you for your view from the inside.