5 months pregnant

Landlubber33

Thanks for the advice everyone! I apologize for the 20 months typo (I'm drinking for two now ;).

Ultimately of course it is up to my wife and her doc, I just wanted some input as we have never cruised before.

It looks as though those who have cruised pregnant have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks again

OP - I would also make sure you get Travel insurance that would allow you to cancel your trip in the event something comes up at the last minute that would prevent her from cruising (and maybe even heading to Disney via plane).

My pregnancies were not without complication but despite those complications Cruising would not have been one of my restricted activities at that point in my pregnancies.

Also - if it's not widely known - the main reason for the restriction being 24 weeks is that's when a fetus would be developed enough to be viable. Whether you are home or on a ship - the things they can do to stop labor at 20 weeks are limited - the risks are the same whether you are home or away in that phase of pregnancy.

All going well she should be done with morning sickness by then. Does she usually get sea sick?

Ah if only the body were so smart. I had very-beginning-sickness, and then I had at-the-end sickness, which was so so so so so SO much worse than at the beginning.

At 20 weeks, there's little to be done if something starts to happen. As the last poster said, it's about the same onboard vs on land.

I've only read a comment on a message board stating that the woman was 23 weeks; I have assumed, and continue to assume, that the woman either didn't know how far along she was or wasn't honest, because given the reports of how well the baby is doing, it just doesn't seem like a 23, 24, or even 25 week baby.

But at 20 weeks...doesn't really matter WHERE you are...

So if you are happy on a ship, be on a ship. If you're happy at Universal, be there. etc.

I personally was happy NOwhere. Ugh.

Buy insurance.....Buy insurance NOW. because the thing about pregnancies are they can change. See the guy kissing the Getaway in my siggy he was a NICU baby. He was a see the Dr on Friday "your doing great you have lots of time" To waking up Saturday morning and giving birth. Surprise!!! now he goes to the NICU.

I agree 20 weeks pregnant it wouldn't matter at home or not if she went into labor it would be heartbreaking.

Can you wife have a amazing relaxing time? yes but if something develops her OB might nix your trip to be safe. IMO the cruise would be more fun and less stress than WDW but that's me.

Yes there is a Dr. on board but think of it like a urgent care or Doctors office not a E.R. and defiantly not a NICU.

Looking for advice. I booked our first cruise for my wife and two kids (10 and 7) for January 11th to the 15th out of Port Canaveral (enchantment of the seas).

We are At WDW for a week prior. I just got news that we are expecting our 3rd (and last!!) and am concerned about my wife cruising when 5 months pregnant.

I have made full payment, however I can receive a full refund.

I am thinking it might make more sense to stay on the ground and possibly do Universal Orlando instead, however, I can't make up my mind, as it would also be nice for my wife to put her swollen feet up from waking WDW for a week and not worry about walking again at Universal, yet she could get very seasick etc.

Any advice is good advice...

Thanks

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/jennifer-huculak-kimmel-billed-950k-us-after-giving-birth-in-u-s-1.2839319

Personally, no way I'd travel to the US with a pregnant mom. Just too risky.

OP - I would also make sure you get Travel insurance that would allow you to cancel your trip in the event something comes up at the last minute

Buy insurance.....Buy insurance NOW.

I just wanted to reinforce this IMPORTANT point. Insurance is worth the cost based upon it will cover you for all the things you're NOT expecting to occur...

Thanks for your response. She would be about 20 weeks at that point. Has anybody cruised while pregnant at 20 months? Is it too much of a gamble?

I'm sure she would get our money's worth in food consumption but I don't want her to be bedridden if seas are too choppy at this time of year.

I cruised at 24 weeks pregnant, and had a pregnancy related incident at sea. The onboard medic was beyond useless, and performed a procedure that could have had threatened both my life and he baby's life. The doctors back home were horrified by what the onboard med did, as that certainly should never have been performed on someone with my symptoms.

My advice is that it is risky. If heaven forbid something goes wrong, it is best to be on land and in proximity of OBGYNs who know how to treat any number of pregnancy related issues, as opposed to a cruise ship GP.

At 20 weeks, there's little to be done if something starts to happen. As the last poster said, it's about the same onboard vs on land.

But at 20 weeks...doesn't really matter WHERE you are...

Not true. I know several women who went into labour very early (18 weeks, 20 weeks) who were rushed to hospital and put on all kinds of meds to stop the labour from continuing. They all made it to 32+ weeks (still not ideal, but the babies survived and are all OK now). Who knows what would be available on a cruise ship.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I apologize for the 20 months typo (I'm drinking for two now ;).

Ultimately of course it is up to my wife and her doc, I just wanted some input as we have never cruised before.

It looks as though those who have cruised pregnant have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks again

Does your wife like to drink? I personally would NOT want to be on a cruise and not be able to drink. I love that I don't have to drive anywhere and there are lots of frozen, fruity cocktails to try and not have to worry about anything. I'm not a heavy drinker, but that is part of a cruise that I really enjoy and not being able to drink, but watching everyone else drink would probably irritate me. That's just me..

Also, I can't imagine being remotely interested in walking around an amusement park all day either. Is there anyway you could keep your vacation low key this year.. for your wife?

BTW - I have 4 kids ranging in ages from 3-16 so I'm speaking from personal experience here, but every woman is different...I did an amusement park with my first and was fine, with my 2nd and wanted to kill someone after..

I was about 20 weeks pregnant with my first on a cruise. I had all day sickness the whole entire pregnancy, so I just took things easy. I had to leave dinner once, and I continued to do the things that helped with nausea before the cruise (for me, seabands and mints!). I took it easy at ports as well, but still has a great time. The best part was that a cruise can be as relaxing as you want it to be! :)

Fortunately, I don't get seasick. But for seasickness, you can buy all natural ginger pills. Ask the OB before, of course as I'm not sure if it's allowed when pregnant, but my mom gets seasick very easily and swears by them.

I am pregnant now with my 2nd and we will be going on a cruise when I am at 22 weeks. Good luck! :)

Edited by caribbean1004

Some people, myself included, do not drink alcohol and we still have a fabulous time on a cruise. :)

Which is why I asked if she drank and said me personally. I was also responding to his post about having to drink for 2 now, so assume they are drinkers.

Assuming she and MD feel good about traveling I would vote for the cruise. Seems having just done WDW and Universal in January she will probably enjoy relaxing on the ship after spending a week at WDW. Also there is probably more activities or none she can do on the ship than the rides at either theme park.

I cruised days shy of the 24 week mark. I had a great cruise. I actually think the second trimester is the best time to cruise while pregnant. Most of the time morning sickness has past, you aren't too big yet to be uncomfortable. If your wife and doctor have no problems, I say go for it. Food for thought though..I had an allergic reaction to something I ate one night. The cruise ship docs wouldn't touch me with a 10 ft pole. Fortunately, I had brought my own OTC medications.

Also, a lot of walking while pregnant made my back hurt while preggos. Not to mention as the other poster said not too many rides will take you if your are expecting. Disney while pregnant wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Edited by queenL

Interesting update about the premie recently born on the IOS!!:eek:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ap-tiny-baby-royal-caribbean-20150925-story.html

I am glad the baby is doing well. I think this article proves how quickly things can change to an emergency situation. After reading this article why would anyone want to risk it?

We were on this cruise and wish the best for the family.

I have a colleague whose wife was 21 weeks pregnant and was cleared to fly. She went into labor on the plane and they diverted the plane. They had to stay in Salt Lake City for 3 months. They were lucky to have wonderful health care, but the little guy is still suffering from being so pre-mature. He said they would never have flown if they had any idea that this would have happened. Just because she was cleared doesn't mean that nothing can happen.

I cruised at 24 weeks pregnant, and had a pregnancy related incident at sea. The onboard medic was beyond useless, and performed a procedure that could have had threatened both my life and he baby's life. The doctors back home were horrified by what the onboard med did, as that certainly should never have been performed on someone with my symptoms.

My advice is that it is risky. If heaven forbid something goes wrong, it is best to be on land and in proximity of OBGYNs who know how to treat any number of pregnancy related issues, as opposed to a cruise ship GP.

I agree with this. Even in the early 20 week timeframe they may be able to do something if labor or other issues started. I would hate to have something happen on a ship with the thought that had you been able to get to a real hospital they could have prevented something bad from happening.

I started having issues with mine around the 23rd week and was immediately admitted to the hospital. I technically would have been allowed to sail and up to that point had a normal pregnancy so no reason to be concerned. However had it not been for the fact that I was able to go to the hospital and get medication immediately, I might not have my beautiful 2 year old now. I just don't see a need to risk it. And regret is a terrible thing to have to live with.

At 20 weeks pregnant please do not subject your poor wife to week at Universal after a week of Disney. Disney is not a relaxing vacation - it is a good vacation - but not relaxing. I would be more likely to cancel the Disney portion then the cruise portion.

Your kids are 7 and 10 and hopefully will have a great time at Kids club and your wife could relax for a week.

Just my thoughts. Good luck and have a wonderful time no matter what you decide.

It's interesting... this threat reminds me alot of the "do I fly in the day or or day before" and "can I cruise without a passport" threads where a majority say "I do it all the time and it's fine" and you have a few naysayers that have a story about themselves or a friend having a problem. The difference to me is those questions result in financial penalties... missing the ship, having to fly to another port, having to pay to have a passport expedited to you. This question is related to having your wife and baby being easily accessible to a good quality hospital in case of a (very unlikely) emergency. My risk tolerance is low enough that I wouldn't, but it certainly sounds like an issue where all sides and contingencies should be discussed with a doctor. Keeping in mind that this isn't just about is she safe to travel, it's about what happens if there's and emergency in a foreign country or on a ship with a basic medical center.

Looking for advice. I booked our first cruise for my wife and two kids (10 and 7) for January 11th to the 15th out of Port Canaveral (enchantment of the seas).

We are At WDW for a week prior. I just got news that we are expecting our 3rd (and last!!) and am concerned about my wife cruising when 5 months pregnant.

I have made full payment, however I can receive a full refund.

I am thinking it might make more sense to stay on the ground and possibly do Universal Orlando instead, however, I can't make up my mind, as it would also be nice for my wife to put her swollen feet up from waking WDW for a week and not worry about walking again at Universal, yet she could get very seasick etc.

Any advice is good advice...

Thanks

You are still far from Final Payment. We sail on Jan. 10, 2016 on Freedom and our payment is due on Oct. 27, 2015. So if you cancel before that date, you get all your money back unless you are not in the US. I would buy the RCI insurance (prior to final payment), that allows you to cancel for any reason if you begin to feel uneasy. You get back 75% of the cancellation penalty and for a medical reason (hope this does not happen, you would get more back). I agree with posters who are telling you to check with your wife's OB/GYN. Edited by SherriZ366