Travelers checks

casperbks

Almost all banks, credit unions, and even AAA in my area have done away with those checks. They use a card now that you buy....but every time you use it there is a fee and a fee to load more money on it. I tried it for my son in Europe about 5 years ago....never again.

Also, many many merchants do not accept travelor's checks since their use is so infrequent.

Cash or a CC is about the only way to go anymore.

My credit union and bank have discontinuted travlers checks... I live in Iowa any idea where I can still get them... thank you for you time and help.:confused:

Some parts of the world you will have trouble cashing them.

My bank also recently discontinued them. I bought some to take on a trip to Aruba several years ago. I don't bother with that again. Just notify my bank of my travels and pull cash at the ATM. My bank reimburses ATM fees, to it also makes it fee free. Though the travelers cheques were fee free too.

We use Traveler's Checks when we cruise. Cash them on the ship. I know many places stopped them. Luckily my small local bank still issues them.

I know at BWI airport there are 2 Travelex stores that you can get them. Not sure if all airports have Travelex stores though.

Edited by l2f

Too easy to counterfeit in this day and age. Most businesses won't accept them.

I have NEVER had an issue using them, ever......;)

I use them because they can be replaced if lost or stolen, whereas cash cannot.

True as one has a true accurate record of the amount you have, plus if something does happen you can get them replaced......

It is so difficult to get them these days as I know of one place here in town that still sells them............

That is why they have always been useful.

They lost their popularity because businesses stopped accepting them not because they weren't convenient for the customer (if you didn't have to pay a fee). When you have an environment like a cruise ship that will accept them they are a great alternative to cash.

Why not just use ATMs to take money out as needed? They even spit out the local currency at the bank rates. Or pay with credit cards where possible which have really good consumer protection policies and also use the bank rate to convert from local currency.