Could Wollongong take over from Sydney as a Homeport?

Garden Island is just a wish by some, but not feasible given it's already occupied.

If we're going to talk about paying to kick someone out, paying to reclaim the Woolloomooloo wharf would be far more economic, less disruptive, and actually a better location all round.

They could kick out the PM and build a new facility at Kirribilli. :D

It would be great to have 7 ships docked in Melbourne...but one big problem......Port Phillip Bay. Thats a long long channel in and out which needs constant dredging.

I remember going down to Port Melbourne from Fishermans Bend Migrant Hostel back in the late 50's, there were several ships docked all the time with all the migration happening, there were the Fair Star, Fair Sky, the Greek ships, P & O Strath ships (Strathaird, Strathnaver, Stratheden and the other Strath ship - 4 in total,etc. that was also in the days before all the dredging was happening, I know they are dredging a lot now for the larger cruise ships as well as merchant shipping, our ports are being re developed costing millions.

Last year there were 2 P&O ships and Carnival Spirit docked for the whole week of the Melbourne Cup week, I think they said in the paper that they used 130 buses to take all the race enthuisists out to the race course and back every day, it was great for tourism for Melbourne, it is also happening again this year with the same 3 ships being docked for the week. The pier hasn't changed much in all that time.

I am currently on Legend of the Seas at Broome.

Whilst on board, looked at booking Radiance in Oct 16. The itinerary drops Newcastle and inserts Wollongong on the return from Tassie on its 7 dayer.

Nice, but guess what, price is $700 dearer for same balcony cabin compared to its other Tassie trips. Next cruise staff say it is because of the new homeport situation.

Interesting.

Hugh

Whilst on board, looked at booking Radiance in Oct 16. The itinerary drops Newcastle and inserts Wollongong on the return from Tassie on its 7 dayer.

Nice, but guess what, price is $700 dearer for same balcony cabin compared to its other Tassie trips. Next cruise staff say it is because of the new homeport situation.

Interesting.

Hugh

What are you doing posting? Isn't the CL open:p

Enjoy the Legend - I love it.

Cheers

Di

Interesting.

Hugh

Don't think any Tassie cruises stop at Newie, usually it's cruises to or from the north that stop here.

Now go and enjoy your cruise.

Don't think any Tassie cruises stop at Newie, usually it's cruises to or from the north that stop here.

Now go and enjoy your cruise.

They most certainly do. Radiance, Depart Sydney, first stop Newcastle, then south. Have done this several times. Check out Feb.

And now back to the ship, too bloody hot in Broome. Even the beer melts:eek:

Personally I think Newie would be better than The Gong.

Better airport

At least equal train to Sydney

Probably better road to Sydney

At least equal as a Port

But I'd still say too far for most.

Actually, Wollongong train was better as it was quicker.

Since the current state government now closed the Newcastle rail line, it's even worse.

I'd say most would travel by train between Sydney and Newcastle. That's the case in all other ports I can think of elsewhere which have a similar distance. Though I think the roads and ports are otherwise similar between Newcastle and Wollongong.

Actually, Wollongong train was better as it was quicker.

Since the current state government now closed the Newcastle rail line, it's even worse.

I'd say most would travel by train between Sydney and Newcastle. That's the case in all other ports I can think of elsewhere which have a similar distance. Though I think the roads and ports are otherwise similar between Newcastle and Wollongong.

Actually the train line is being truncated at Wickham, about 100 metres from the most recent suggestion for a cruise terminal in Newcastle.

Actually the train line is being truncated at Wickham, about 100 metres from the most recent suggestion for a cruise terminal in Newcastle.

That wouldn't change the travel time. And the line is currently actually truncated to Hamilton. Though there is a proposal for Wickham to be rebuilt and re-open.

However, the actual primary cruise berth is up at Carrington, which is still a bus, taxi, whatever ride away from whichever train station may exist at that time.

And this still doesn't get over the main point, which is that the train to Wollongong is quicker and shorter than the train to Newcastle.

Just did some research to see what you meant by suggestion... it seems this is about it.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2874772/slim-chance-for-cruise-terminal-at-throsby-wharf/

The ports operator says the only suitable place is up at Carrington, and that that section of port you refer to is too narrow for ships to go in. They state the maximum length as 265m. This is shorter than Radiance's length and hence would not be suited to being an alternative point.

Hence we're back to the very industrial area of Carrington in Newcastle.

That wouldn't change the travel time. And the line is currently actually truncated to Hamilton. Though there is a proposal for Wickham to be rebuilt and re-open.

However, the actual primary cruise berth is up at Carrington, which is still a bus, taxi, whatever ride away from whichever train station may exist at that time.

And this still doesn't get over the main point, which is that the train to Wollongong is quicker and shorter than the train to Newcastle.

Which doesn't change the fact that the line will terminate at Wickham it is not a proposal the work is n progress.

As mentioned earlier in this thread there has been a proposal for a cruise terminal in Wharf Road a short stroll from the Wickham interchange.

AND Newcastle has a major Airport that already takes some International flights and leaves Woolongong Airport for dead.

But regardless of any of that neither will ever be a major cruise jump of point they are both too far from Sydney.

Which doesn't change the fact that the line will terminate at Wickham it is not a proposal the work is n progress.

As mentioned earlier in this thread there has been a proposal for a cruise terminal in Wharf Road a short stroll from the Wickham interchange.

AND Newcastle has a major Airport that already takes some International flights and leaves Woolongong Airport for dead.

But regardless of any of that neither will ever be a major cruise jump of point they are both too far from Sydney.

I gave a link to an article that shows a cruise terminal close to Wickham is not realistic.

As for airports, I don't think many people who would even fly to the airport are going to choose their cruise destination based on the airport. Certainly it's not a discussion I've seen here: "How is the condition of Milan airport to get to Genoa port?" Is San Diego a better airport for cruises than LAX?"

If people fly there, they just chooose the most appropriate times and logistics that suit. And a 1.5 hour train trip isn't a big deal if they are flying as they would in many instances be flying many more hours than that.

As said before, this isn't a suggestion for a primary point, just an alternative. And as given with previous examples, there are many secondary - and even primary ports - which have similar and longer travel times, and often by train.

think Bottany Bay, with all the associated problems has more going for it than either Newie or the Gong.

Yes, that's why that is being discussed as a substitute for the OPT. Whereas this Wollongong proposal is as a back-up. It's good to have multiple options, in case something doesn't work out.

The tram right at the Per is great, my one question is would it handle the 15-20,000+ PAX that would be there if 7 ships were in port at once.

HA!! We arrived into Station Pier on Pacific Dawn once - when Dawn Princess was already docked there . We took ONE look at the tram (or really we looked at the queue for the tram) - and took a leisurely 5 klm walk to St Kilda instead - caught a tram into town from there . Coming back to the port was easier.

Barry