What are your personal favorite MDR dishes on NCL?

LMaxwell

I usually don't have a sweet tooth but I keep thinking about their warm chocolate volcano dessert. Don't know why.

Overall, based on one cruise on the NCL Jade, we thought that the MDR food was pretty good.

[YOUTUBE]xOimIZW3xEw[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2

I usually don't have a sweet tooth but I keep thinking about their warm chocolate volcano dessert. Don't know why.

Overall, based on one cruise on the NCL Jade, we thought that the MDR food was pretty good.

Thank you I really enjoyed this will sail on the Jade.:)

What a great video. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Glad some of the portions seem small; I can order different dishes without feeling guilty. But that prime rib was huge!

What a great video. Thanks for posting. I will be on the Jade in Feb. Were the menus the same in both dining rooms? Did you prefer the Grand Pacific and why?

For our cruise, the menus were the same in both dining rooms. I preferred the Grand Pacific because, as the name implies, the place looked grander! The Alizhar felt like a modern eatery or bistro cafe. But the food was the same.

Glad you enjoyed the video. I had fun making it. Re-watching it made me hungry.

What a great video. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Glad some of the portions seem small; I can order different dishes without feeling guilty. But that prime rib was huge!

Yes, the dishes were usually not big. If you have a hearty appetite, order an extra dish or two. They are happy to please.

I'm glad the portions are small, too. But I heard from the grapevine (ie somewhere on the message boards) that you can request appetizer size entrees. Does anyone know if it's true? Because small as the portions are, if you want to try a few that'll add up to a lot of food fast, and the last thing I want is to feel full, bloated, and lethargic on the ship at night. Especially at night! Thanks!

I'm glad the portions are small, too. But I heard from the grapevine (ie somewhere on the message boards) that you can request appetizer size entrees. Does anyone know if it's true? Because small as the portions are, if you want to try a few that'll add up to a lot of food fast, and the last thing I want is to feel full, bloated, and lethargic on the ship at night. Especially at night! Thanks!

I heard the opposite about NCL (confirmed by experience with DCL). Meals are pre-plated and it's easy for your server to pick up your order. While they honor changes, it does put a wrinkle in the process. Most times it is easier for the server to bring two pre-plated entrees than to adjust portion sizes. Just my speculation.

Just had to compliment you on the video [emoji1]. Last December the only time I ate in the MDRs on the Epic were a couple of breakfasts and for lunch after boarding. If the MDRs on the Escape offer as much variety and major yumminess [emoji39][emoji39] I may check them out more! Thanks again!! I'm getting hungry!!

Just had to compliment you on the video [emoji1]. Last December the only time I ate in the MDRs on the Epic were a couple of breakfasts and for lunch after boarding. If the MDRs on the Escape offer as much variety and major yumminess [emoji39][emoji39] I may check them out more! Thanks again!! I'm getting hungry!!

Thank you for your kind words. I am encouraged to make more of such videos when I cruise. Glad that the video is useful.

only ate in the MDR once on the Epic last week.. The Lamb was excellent - slightly overdone but nice sauce and great Dauphinois potatoes. (though what that radioactive looking mint jelly they offer you is I have no idea - looks like E number 666) My wife had the fish dish which she said was good.

I heard the opposite about NCL (confirmed by experience with DCL). Meals are pre-plated and it's easy for your server to pick up your order. While they honor changes, it does put a wrinkle in the process. Most times it is easier for the server to bring two pre-plated entrees than to adjust portion sizes. Just my speculation.

I have not cruised yet, so I can't confirm from personal experience, but I have heard the same thing many times on this board. Don't know if it is all restaurants on all NCL ships, but at least in some NCL MDRs the preplating issue means that special requests slow your meal down considerably. I've heard this mentioned by people who know about it and therefore know not to make special requests (or make them the night before, like allergy/special diet requests) and I have also read confused complaints by posters who didn't know this and were complaining about sloooooowwwwww MDR service, but everything they ordered had a special request component to it. Usually stuff like 2 lobster tails instead of surf & turf, that would be super easy in a land restaurant, but once you realize that everything is preplated catering-style, it is clear why a little switch means that order gets put on the back burner until someone has time to do it.

On our last cruise, we ate in the MDR five nights, one night in a specialty and one night for the dinner show. My husband is a picky eater combined with some dietary restrictions and every single night he asked for something to be modified (usually a sauce left off). We were pleasantly surprised that every request was done without issue. We did not feel it added any time to our meals.

If you order multiple entrees do they bring them one at a time or stagger them? Would prefer if they brought them all at once so we can share. Guess I'll just say "Please bring at the same time so we can share."

Its not to be snarky - How do you do it on other cruise lines you've sailed? Because its the similar setup with NCL - you can tell the waiter to bring it all at once or when you're done with each plate/entree at a time. That's all.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Its not to be snarky - How do you do it on other cruise lines you've sailed? Because its the similar setup with NCL - you can tell the waiter to bring it all at once or when you're done with each plate/entree at a time. That's all.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

As I typed it I realized I had my answer in the question. 2 cent answer to a million dollar problem.