Bahia Mar Hotel, FLL

sail7seas

Please do not send me to FLL/Florida ports of call forum. I know the people here and know whose opinion may agree with mine.

Has anyone stayed recently at Bahia Mar Hotel? For over 20+ years, DH and I always stayed at Pier 66 but I'm not sure I want to face all the memories there going solo.

I have particular reasons for the specific hotel and don't need information about Embassy Suites or Hilton Marina or any other hotel. :o

It's Bahia Mar about which I hope to get some opinions.

Thanks if you can help.

Edited by sail7seas

No personal experience with the hotel, but it is undergoing renovations and the new rooms are supposed to be much nicer than the older, pre-renovation rooms. There are over 2,500 reviews on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d84482-Reviews-Bahia_Mar_Fort_Lauderdale_Beach_a_Doubletree_by_Hilton_Hotel-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

As with CruiseCritic, you'll want to read them with a critical eye. :rolleyes:

Because I care - deeply - and since it's just up the road, I did some checking. According to popular sentiment, it's a bit down market from the Hyatt. It's nice enough, but people seem to favor the Hilton a few blocks to the north. (Hilton on the beach, not Hilton Marina.) I know you didn't want other hotel choices, but it came up enough that I thought I'd mention it.

The general consensus is that Bahia Mar is pretty nice as long as you have a view. Considering the hotel's location, there should be good views in most directions.

We have stayed there on 2 separate occasions and we LOVE this hotel! It has a great location..good bar/restaurant...nice rooftop pool & bar...within walking distance to the water taxi, beach boardwalk (hotel right across from the ocean) and the boardwalk has lots of people watching, food, drinks. When you book a room you want to book a room in the towers. The other part of the hotel is older and I believe that is what is undergoing renovations. We loved every bit of our stay, including our rooms, service by workers, etc. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Sail, I was there for two nights in February for a business meeting. Stayed on the "Hhonors Floor" way up top. I give this facility a three out of five, and I did post a tripadvisor review.

Location is great and beach access is easy. The pool is nice too. Only two elevators and they are older (and slower) so sometimes a wait to go up or down. This is an older facility.

It was clean enough, and breakfast was pretty good (complimentary for us since I have Hilton status) but costly for those paying. There are some restaurants within walking distance; I don't know if any are open for breakfast.

In summary, I would not give Bahia Mar a high recommendation but it is certainly acceptable. Hope this helps!

Arie

Sail, I was there for two nights in February for a business meeting. Stayed on the "Hhonors Floor" way up top. I give this facility a three out of five, and I did post a tripadvisor review.

Location is great and beach access is easy. The pool is nice too. Only two elevators and they are older (and slower) so sometimes a wait to go up or down. This is an older facility.

It was clean enough, and breakfast was pretty good (complimentary for us since I have Hilton status) but costly for those paying. There are some restaurants within walking distance; I don't know if any are open for breakfast.

In summary, I would not give Bahia Mar a high recommendation but it is certainly acceptable. Hope this helps!

Arie

We have stayed many times on the HHonors Floors. Does this hotel offer the perks on the weekends? We stayed in a Hilton hotel in Seattle which closed the special area for breakfasts and cocktails on the weekends.

We have stayed there on 2 separate occasions and we LOVE this hotel! It has a great location..good bar/restaurant...nice rooftop pool & bar...within walking distance to the water taxi, beach boardwalk (hotel right across from the ocean) and the boardwalk has lots of people watching, food, drinks. When you book a room you want to book a room in the towers. The other part of the hotel is older and I believe that is what is undergoing renovations. We loved every bit of our stay, including our rooms, service by workers, etc. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.[/quote

We agree, have stayed there many times and will again. If you do stay in the older section get a balcony room overlooking the marina. We have tried other hotels, but always go back to the Bahia Mar for all the reasons mentioned above.

We have stayed there on 2 separate occasions and we LOVE this hotel! It has a great location..good bar/restaurant...nice rooftop pool & bar...within walking distance to the water taxi, beach boardwalk (hotel right across from the ocean) and the boardwalk has lots of people watching, food, drinks. When you book a room you want to book a room in the towers. The other part of the hotel is older and I believe that is what is undergoing renovations. We loved every bit of our stay, including our rooms, service by workers, etc. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

I so agree, I also travel solo and found it charming, there's a good little deli there, for salads, fruit, wine,-- and a room facing the water is perfect,, you can watch the ships leaving and coming in in the morning and you get the sunrise,, 2 yrs ago I even tried to walk the beach to the pier to wave at the cruise parade ,and I was amazed at all these purple balloon type things washed up on the sand, and as I bent down to touch one , a little voice said ,no and I backed off, still don't know what they where,, -- well considering my new age of 60 and I was not wearing summerwear,, it was a hard walk, but I made it,, but every ship was late in leaving,, so I started back, and got lost in the most charming area of beach cottages :D

Edited by maxie99

Thanks so much for the comments. Very helpful.

I know there are more luxurious hotels and more deluxe accommodations and most who have been here on HAL CC for long know that is usually where I head. But it is different now without my late DH. I am not necessarily looking for the same things now that I'm on my own. Too many memories of me and him at The Hyatt Pier 66. While I know lots of great people there, they all knew my DH and I don't think I can deal with the 'probable questions'.

I like the location of Bahia Mar, will want a tower room for sure, and definitely a balcony, but it has to be CLEAN, reasonably comfortable rooms, bathrooms don't have to be deluxe but have to be in good condition. I like there is a casual sandwich/salad deli on premises if I am around the hotel during the day.

I haven't even looked at cost but whatever it is, is what it is. More important I am in a place that will suit my changed interests and needs and it's okay if I pay a bit more for it.

If I were to stay in the usual type hotels we always enjoyed, I'd be way too lonely. I need to find a new comfort zone.

Any comments are very welcome. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I don't know you personally, only from the CC message boards where you have given me (us) an insight into your life travels. My heart goes out to you as you bravely start a new chapter in your life without you DH. We each have to find our own way to begin again.

I understand how hard it would be to "go back in time", I'm sure you will stumble along the way but will find sure footing.

Sandy

Sail

If you are going to be there after Noon on a Friday -- ask if they will have the HHilton perks.

That is why I asked the question on StartrainDD and didn't get an answer back.

We book a Seattle Hilton hotel several years ago on the special concierge level only to find that we paid big bucks for nothing to be open on the weekends.

Im booked here for my pre-cruise accommodations and although I've never been i can certainly let you know how it goes when i get back. Not sure if that timeline is going to work for you (end of november) but i'll keep an eye out.

It would be helpful and I'd appreciate your comments if you find a moment to post about your stay in that hotel. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Sail

If you are going to be there after Noon on a Friday -- ask if they will have the HHilton perks.

We book a Seattle Hilton hotel several years ago on the special concierge level only to find that we paid big bucks for nothing to be open on the weekends.

VERY good point. I'd be quite annoyed to pay for extra comforts only to learn they were not available for all days of my stay. I hope they issued a refund for the days they did not provide what you were right to expect.

It's been so many years since we stayed in a Hilton I can't even remember where or when. :eek: :o

We have stayed there for 3 nights and agree with above comments, 3 on a 5 scale. Food/drinks are very expensive with not so good service. Location is great. Bubba gumps is close as are a few other decent restaurants. Beach access and walking is nice.

PS best of luck with life's new journey. Been there, done that and take it a day at a time.

So enjoy your posts, always a treat to read them. :)

Edited by seagarsmoker

Sail

Hello again!

To the best of my recollection, Bahia Mar does not have an "Executive lounge" (or Hhonors lounge). Our complimentary continental breakfast was from the restaurant buffet. We could upgrade to the "Full breakfast" buffet for a nominal amount. I do not recall an option for a "Served breakfast."

I was there during the week so don't know about weekends, but I am pretty sure on the lack of a lounge. There is at least one (likely more) "Hhonors floor." While I was on the top floor, my room had a "French Balcony." (Glass door opens but no balcony to step out on) and I was facing South; could see the beach on the left and marina on the right.

No doubt due to the age of the building, the lack of windows/glass is astounding for a beach hotel. Newer hotels have a lot of glass to capitalize on the views; this one looks "All white" (take a look at the photos on line).

One other thing, Sail (and any others) - I've received e-mails recently (within last week) offering select dates at Bahia Mar at $99/night. Be sure to ask (maybe more than once) for a great rate if you call to reserve! This may not work for pre or post-cruise, but it can't hurt to ask (especially if you are traveling this fall).

Arie

Edited by StartrainDD
added note about pricing

Thanks, Arie. Good information.

Having been to FLL so many times through the years, I've been by the hotel a number of times but I don't recall ever being inside or on the property.

I have something of a personal connection there and am really happy to get all this information before I decide if that is a hotel at which I could be reasonably comfortable and happy. I would not like only a French balcony. If that is all they have in the tower, that is a 'deal breaker' for me. :(

Thanks for the tip about the pricing. That is an amazing per night amount. :eek: I think we usually pay that in taxes and resort fees let alone price of the room.

Edited by sail7seas

• 1 month later...

Just a quick review of the Bahia Mar as promised. We stayed in the Marina building with a view of the parking lot. The room itself was very clean and modern/updated. Didn't notice the musty/dampness other guests have mentioned on tripadvisor/other review sites. We did notice the rooms have pretty thin walls and had some young adults partying next to us which made it hard to sleep but hey, I was once too a 20 yr old lol. My only other complaint was there seemed to be a lot of doors opening and closing all night long which we could hear and feel while we were trying to sleep. We received warm cookies upon checkin which was a nice treat. Overall I'd stay here again.

I haven't even looked at cost but whatever it is, is what it is. More important I am in a place that will suit my changed interests and needs and it's okay if I pay a bit more for it.

If I were to stay in the usual type hotels we always enjoyed, I'd be way too lonely. I need to find a new comfort zone.

Any comments are very welcome. :)

Staying in a different area might help you find a new comfort zone. Have you thought about staying in downtown? I've always thought this hotel looks nice:

http://www.riversidehotel.com/

It is located right on Las Olas Blvd., so there are many things within walking distance.

http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/florida/fort-lauderdale/downtown-riverwalk

Also, since it is an independently owned hotel, they might have a slightly more personal "feeling" than a chain property. It may suit your new needs very nicely.

Good luck. All your choices must be very hard to make, fraught as they are with memories.

Staying in a different area might help you find a new comfort zone. Have you thought about staying in downtown? I've always thought this hotel looks nice:

http://www.riversidehotel.com/

It is located right on Las Olas Blvd., so there are many things within walking distance.

http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/florida/fort-lauderdale/downtown-riverwalk

Also, since it is an independently owned hotel, they might have a slightly more personal "feeling" than a chain property. It may suit your new needs very nicely.

Good luck. All your choices must be very hard to make, fraught as they are with memories.

Riverside is also a stop for the Water Taxi. Makes getting to different hotels/restaurants/bars very easy and the scenery can not be beat.

Please do not send me to FLL/Florida ports of call forum. I know the people here and know whose opinion may agree with mine.

Has anyone stayed recently at Bahia Mar Hotel? For over 20+ years, DH and I always stayed at Pier 66 but I'm not sure I want to face all the memories there going solo.

I have particular reasons for the specific hotel and don't need information about Embassy Suites or Hilton Marina or any other hotel. :o

It's Bahia Mar about which I hope to get some opinions.

Thanks if you can help.

Hi Sail7Seas, I am not sure when you are traveling or if this has already occurred , or if you still need input, but i do Like Bahia Mar. The yachts are nice as you stroll along the pier and there are even cute little garden areas with benches. There is a water taxi pick up a very short walk from the Hotel. Next to the property is a easy place to get food and coffee and you are close to the beach. The overhead bridge access to the beach over the highway is a plus when accessing the beach also. I also wanted to thank you for all the advise and comments and tid bits that you have offered over the years. We dearly treasure you and your advise. Have a good trip .