Atmosphere and tolerance for differently abled pax

helferships

Hello experts and thank you in advance for your help and advice.

We are thinking of doing a Caribbean cruise on a Solstice class ship over the Christmas holidays with our intellectually disabled daughter. She is in her 20s but developmentally closer to 10 or 12. Very cute (IMHO) and usually charming but occasionally "difficult" if she does not get her way (whiney, not literally kicking and screaming).

I would be grateful for honest views on how tolerant and welcoming (as opposed to disapproving) fellow passengers and staff will be to a young passenger with a mental disability. We really like the reviews for Celebrity cruises but we have a sense that the atmosphere might be a little too "elegant and refined" for us. We don't want to spoil anyone else's cruise so if you think we will get a lot of tut-tutting and odd looks we will forget cruising.

On a related note, can anyone confirm that we will be able to get her dinner at the buffet so we don't have to go to the more formal main dining room?

Thanks again,

Helfer

We are thinking of doing a Caribbean cruise on a Solstice class ship over the Christmas holidays with our intellectually disabled daughter. She is in her 20s but developmentally closer to 10 or 12. Very cute (IMHO) and usually charming but occasionally "difficult" if she does not get her way (whiney, not literally kicking and screaming).

I would be grateful for honest views on how tolerant and welcoming (as opposed to disapproving) fellow passengers and staff will be to a young passenger with a mental disability. We really like the reviews for Celebrity cruises but we have a sense that the atmosphere might be a little too "elegant and refined" for us. We don't want to spoil anyone else's cruise so if you think we will get a lot of tut-tutting and odd looks we will forget cruising.

On a related note, can anyone confirm that we will be able to get her dinner at the buffet so we don't have to go to the more formal main dining room?

Thanks again,

Helfer

While I cannot speak for all cruisers, each with difference tolerance levels and personalities, I believe that the majority of passengers will have no issues with your daughter. I know that many of my friends would probably go out of their way to engage her in a beneficial way.

The only possible issue that I see is that you are planning to travel during the holidays. At that time ships are very crowded with families and children that are not as tolerant as adults.

As for the buffet, it is always available for anyone at mealtimes. No worries there.

Steve

Bring her and yourselves and have fun!

You could always go to the maain dining room on the first day and explain and try to get a table to yourselves. Perhaps in a quiet area on the side if you really feel the need.

Yes you can use the buffet and you can also use room service if you feel the need -free during the day.

Thanks again,

Helfer

I think you are far more likely to see tolerance and understanding on a line like Celebrity than some of the other lines.

With that being said, there are probably times, and I am sure you have experienced this, where people in your surroundings don't know the situation and make assumptions.

I found myself accidentally doing it the other day until I corrected myself.....

There was a kid screaming in the park down by the World Trade Center Memorial and before I could stop myself I thought to myself "control that brat", and then I looked at the size of the kid and thought to myself, this kid might have something else going on...... he was a little too big to just be a brat.

Anyway, I should know better because I do work in a field that deals with PWDD.... But I was in the city, not thinking and made a judgment that was probably wrong.

I think when people realize what is up no one would even dream of saying a word.

I hope you take the cruise and enjoy yourselves!!!!

First: Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Second: Your post leaves me with the impression that you are a wonderful parent and most considerate of others.

I believe that the Staff will go out of their way to make you all feel comfortable. Passengers are passengers. They tend to reflect society as a whole. I've seen many passengers with challenges, some severe. Now and then someone gets agitated, but they are the very rare exception and probably have emotional problems themselves. A previous poster mentioned the large number of families on holiday cruises and this could be an issue. Most hang out at the pool and there might be some private areas where you can sit with some degree of privacy. I recommend that you speak to someone in the Special Needs Department at Celebrity and tell them your concerns. They will most likely advise the ship of your concerns and needs.

you ould dine in your cabin if you want a change from the Buffet.

My DW and I were both teachers of students with special needs. we have had several special children (and adults) on our some 20 weeks of crusing on Celebrity. The parents on these children always took the appropriate actions if a meltdown occoured and the passengers generally simply avoided the situation. If things were going well the crew would go out of their way to make the individuals a star during all activities. Passengers often joined in too as they did on a recent TA cruise inviting a your lady (20s ish) to dance in the dance contest and the officers took her on tours of the ship I could only dream about. They even ate at the Captain's Table one evening!

Speak with the crew and let them know of your concerns. Keep your activities as normalized as possible. Dining in the buffet? Why not try it in the MDR at lunch or with a table near the front of the MDR?

We traveled as an extended family on Celebrity Eclipse in July of this year. My brother is law is 48 and has Downs Syndrome. He was treated very courteously by the staff and other passengers. One of the gentleman on my roll call not only helped my BIL on our tour in St. Petersburg but also my mother-in-law's brother, who has a bad knee and got winded easily.

JoAnn

In my opinion, after 34 year teaching in SEN I think you have chosen well with Celebrity. It is not as loud or sensory overloading as some ships nor as stuffy as other lines.

Contact Celebrity additional needs before you cruise. I am sure they will be able to give you lots of advice.

if you try and identify the situations where your DD is likely to become unsettled many of them can be easily overcome. For example, she may enjoy the MDR

initially but then become bored with waiting. This can be overcome by either the staff 'speeding' service or you could have starters and mains in MDR and then ask for deserts to be sent to your room or you could go to the buffet or cafe El Bachio to choose a desert to take back to your room. Do not rule out the MDR or the specialities to dine, you will be amazed how they will do their best to make your daughter's and your, cruise amazing.

Excursions are well explained on Celebrity in terms of time, activity....you will find lots to choose from and again you can choose the level of activity which your daughter will be best able to enjoy.

Ship based activities are fairly low key, you may be amazed how your daughter enjoys listening to some of the musical performances and remember you can go to the theatre to watch a show and if she becomes bored or unsettled you can simply leave.

Choice of room may help you too. if you have a balcony cabin the veranda may give you a place to chill after your daughter is settled for the night. It may also be worth looking at suites where you would have more defined separate spaces.

All parents taking their child on a cruise for the first time worry about suitability. i honestly think you and your daughter will have a great time.

Plan and communicate pre cruise and the board and enjoy you vacation, the first I hope of many.

With best wishes for an amazing vacation.

We have often cruised with our daughter now in her 30s who has a range of physical and learning disabilities.

We have always had a great time. You know you will be paying to go on this cruise the same as everyone else so just go ahead and enjoy it!

As far as Celebrity are concerned we have found them just wonderful. Their special needs department have been super and all needs have been met. The officers and crew on board have been very welcoming and helpful. We tend to use the dining room as our daughter finds the buffet difficult with the number of people and the going to and fro. Dining room staff have been excellent and the choices on the menus very broad. Often she will ask for something not on the menu and the wait staff have done their utmost to accommodate her.

Yes of course we face occasional tutting if she is slow on the stairs or something but we just ignore it.....they are the ignorant ones!

We have developed some golden rules.....

Ask for assistance in boarding - it takes the stress out of embarkation process

Plan our own excursions - more tutters on those than anywhere else

We avoid the buffet and use the dining room. We go select so we have some time flexibility

We use room service when we need to be on our own

We book a balcony so its like having an extra room and it gives us some personal space

We use the games room for family games in the evening. We can be a little noisy for the bridge crowd!

So go enjoy yourselves. Cruising is a great holiday for our family. I hope you find the same

As others have said, I think the majority will embrace your daughter, but just like on land there will probably be a few jerks and just like on land, ignore them. Please go and enjoy yourselves, I doubt you would ever come close to spoiling anyone else's cruise.

A perfect summary.

As others have said, I think the majority will embrace your daughter, but just like on land there will probably be a few jerks and just like on land, ignore them. Please go and enjoy yourselves, I doubt you would ever come close to spoiling anyone else's cruise.

I agree. Lots of folks here have given you some really good advice which should help and I am glad that you are going to do it. Enjoy your cruise! :D

Bill

You sound like amazing parents and considerate human beings. Thank you for your selflessness-- you a model for all of us to be concerned not only about others in our family but also those around us.

I believe that your family will have a wonderful trip.

Thanks again,

Helfer

During Christmas time ships are overcrowded and full of kids . It can be stressful and I hate to cruise during this time. Its up to you to decide if you child will be OK in crowds. Maybe week before Xmas is better choice?

Buffet is open for dinner so you don't have to spend 2 hours in DR if it makes you DD nervous . Ask for table for 3 to avoid odd looks and unwanted questions . You will not have problem with crew members ,they will be very helpful.

Absolutely! Take your daughter on a Celebrity cruise. :) Celebrity really isn't stuffy. On each and every cruise we have been on, there have been at least two or three challenged children or adults. Very common. One cruise, there was a group of 20 or so Down Syndrome young men. They loved dancing every night out on the pool deck with the band. :D

Last year, we cruised with a couple (that we had never met before) and their adult daughter that was similarly challenged. She was a delight and every one in our group loved her. :)

There will always be a few jerks; it does not matter the cruise line. Having disabled older sister, I found that the great majority people in these sorts of setting will be very receptive to disabled individuals. They will also put the jerks in place for rude conduct. My sister always enjoyed the pageantry of Christmas. Hopefully, your daughter will as well.