Star vs Crown

kayred

Hoping for the opinion of experienced cruisers. We have cruised once before on the sapphire. We are booked for the Crown next June in Alaska but are considering changing to the Star Northbound Alaska voyage. I know the crown is similar to the Sapphire, is the Star Princess much different?

Hoping for the opinion of experienced cruisers. We have cruised once before on the sapphire. We are booked for the Crown next June in Alaska but are considering changing to the Star Northbound Alaska voyage. I know the crown is similar to the Sapphire, is the Star Princess much different?

The Star is more similar to the Sapphire than the Crown is. The latter has an extra deck and carries more passengers. Of course, the Star does not have Alfredo's as the Sapphire does.

I like the Crown.

Adagio's

Sabatini's in a great location aft

Newer ship.

I've sailed both ships & these are a few of the reasons why I prefer the Crown plus at the International Café there is gelato (3 scoops for$1.50).

OP...I would primarily base my decision on price & itinerary more than on which ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have been on both, and would select the Star, providing they both have the same itinerary.

Star has: Indoor Pool, with conservatory above it, Vista Lounge as an additional theater venue where they run shows and other events, 500 less passengers.

Crown has no indoor pool, Club Fusion in place of the Vista lounge, an additional passenger deck for the extra passengers. It does have Adagio's Lounge a quiet place to read, but on an Alaska voyage Adagio's probably will not that useful.

I have been on both, and would select the Star, providing they both have the same itinerary.

Star has: Indoor Pool, with conservatory above it, Vista Lounge as an additional theater venue where they run shows and other events, 500 less passengers.

Crown has no indoor pool, Club Fusion in place of the Vista lounge, an additional passenger deck for the extra passengers. It does have Adagio's Lounge a quiet place to read, but on an Alaska voyage Adagio's probably will not that useful.

Yes, good point about the Star's indoor pool area. Very nice for Alaaka.

I, too, like the Star's Vista Lounge. A very nice entertainment venue.

The Ruby, the Crown's sister ship, is noticeably more crowded than the Star, Grand, or Sapphire. it's that extra deck on the Ruby and Crown and Emerald.

Best wishes! Whichever ship you chose, you will love Alaska.

Bon voyage:)

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

I've been on all three, Sapphire (which OP mentions), Star and Crown. Don't go on either of the latter expecting the Sapphire. Too many differences (and not always good ones.) I have been thinking about this since this thread opened, and I guess the Crown wins by a hair. I do like the covered pool on Star, and it has the "shopping cart" Skywalker's. However, the larger and swankier Crooners as well as Adigio make that difference to me. I will agree that Club Fusion on the Crown is a mistake (and had some friends call it "Club Confusion.") Really, what exactly is being fused in there? :p

Edited by shredie

I have been on both in Alaska and prefer the Star. Not only does the Crown not have the covered pool, but I disliked the overall layout of the pool areas on the Crown. It seemed windier, the walkways seemed narrower, and there was almost no place to sit under cover and be able to see MUTS if it was raining. I also agree with others that the Vista Lounge is much nicer than Club Fusion. I thought the gelato would be a big deal, but I never actually ate any.

If I had to rank the ships I've been on in Alaska, I would probably say Star, Golden, Grand, and Crown last.

The Crown does have some nice features but I would have to pick the Star. We found the larger number of passengers on the Crown (without an increase in the public areas) to be problematic when it came to elevator availability, tendering and Any Time Dining. On a cold weather cruise such as Alaska all of those additional people are spending much of their time inside rather than out on the open decks.

I have been on all 3 - here is my list in order

1. Star Princess (Vista Lounge, Covered pool, less passengers)

2. Sapphire Princess (Covered pool, less passengers)

3. Last choice, Crown Princess. More passengers, no covered pool, it seemed crowded to me.

I have been on all 3 - here is my list in order

1. Star Princess (Vista Lounge, Covered pool, less passengers)

2. Sapphire Princess (Covered pool, less passengers)

3. Last choice, Crown Princess. More passengers, no covered pool, it seemed crowded to me.

Thinking about the Crown for Mexican Rivera but sounds like a buzz kill when considering overall ship experience. I'll stick with the Star for sure.

Just as a way of updating we have decided to stay on the crown I was glad to see that some people like the crown and others the star. I didn't realize the crown had the extra deck. I am glad to know that even though the star is older it is just as good. Because of the posts on this we decided that for US the star and crown were equal. I don't like the smell of a covered pool so I won't miss that and because we live in a tourist town we are use to crowds so hopefully it won't be that bad. For us, with both crown and star having good points we went with the trip that had less time flying. For us flying in and out of a US city (Seattle) and having the flight home be shorter tilted the decision towards the crown. Thank you again for the help and the reassurances.

Good choice based on the idea of flying to and from Seattle. I find Seattle to be much more convenient and more user friendly than Vancouver and Anchorage.

I also like it that Southwest flies to and from Seattle, which works great for me from Chicago/Midway.

Enjoy Alaska!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

The benefit of the covered pool is that it helps with crowding issues when the weather is wet, too cold. People will go here and relax (and stay dry). On the ships with no covered pool and an extra deck, when the weather is bad, the ship seems really crowded as there are no outdoor decks where people go.

• 3 weeks later...
Just as a way of updating we have decided to stay on the crown I was glad to see that some people like the crown and others the star. I didn't realize the crown had the extra deck. I am glad to know that even though the star is older it is just as good. Because of the posts on this we decided that for US the star and crown were equal. I don't like the smell of a covered pool so I won't miss that and because we live in a tourist town we are use to crowds so hopefully it won't be that bad. For us, with both crown and star having good points we went with the trip that had less time flying. For us flying in and out of a US city (Seattle) and having the flight home be shorter tilted the decision towards the crown. Thank you again for the help and the reassurances.

I just thought that I would add that I found no smell in the pool area of the Star however, with the roof closed then entire trip is sure was noisy in there! I couldn't find a peaceful place anywhere between the ping pong tables and the people in the pool below. I don't remember it being that loud on the Coral or Island so it could have been the passenger mix during our SB sailing on Aug 29 :confused:

I am seriously considering the Crown next year from SEA myself even though I greatly prefer the one way itineraries. But since I will be traveling solo I need to FF seats work to keep expenses down and I'm still not willing to give up Glacier Bay ;)

If HAL offers some lower fares later I will do transfers between SEA and YVR just to avoid Victoria though ;)