Do they mix the age groups at the kids club?

dulcemariamar

I am looking to cruise with Disney Magic with my 3YO. I would like to put her in the kids club but on the webpage it does not specify if they break up the kids in groups according to their age. Since my daughter will be the youngest I don't want her to be with kids a lot older than her. On the other cruise lines, they advertise that they split the kids up. Does Disney?

For ages 3-12, there is the Oceaneer's Club and there is the Oceaneer's Lab. The two spaces are separated but connected by a hallway. The Club is geared to the younger kids and the Lab to the older kids, though the kids can choose to participate in either space. It used to be that DCL separated by age groups but so many people complained that siblings, cousins, friends, etc. couldn't be together that it was changed several years ago.

Each day there will be Open House time in either the Club or the Lab. This is a time when anyone can come into the space to participate. During Open House time in the Club, the Lab will be open for secured programming (so all age groups will be in one space), and vice versa.

Edited to add for others with older kids who may be reading:

Edge is the tween space - ages 11-14

Vibe is the teen space - ages 14-17

There is some overlap of ages - the kids can choose which space they prefer.

Edited by OneParticularHarbour 71

Do they mix the age groups--yes and no.

Originally, the Oceaneer's Club and Oceaneer's Lab were separate. The club was 3-7 and further subdivided into 2 groups, same for the 8-12 in the lab. However, over the years DCL tried all sorts of age cut offs. No matter what they did, parents complained. They wanted siblings/friends/cousins together regardless of age, and always wanted the younger one "moved up." I hate to be a jerk, but you wouldn't put your 1st grade daughter in the same classroom as your 4th grade son, right?

OK, so in response to this, the Club and Lab are still separate spaces. Club furniture is small as is the bathroom there. The stuff in the Lab is the right size for bigger kids BUT any kid 3-12 can be in either space. There are up to 4 activities running at any given time, and each activity has a "suggested age" range. You don't see too many 12 year olds doing an activity that is "suggested" for 3-4, but it can happen. The CMs won't encourage a child toward an activity outside if they are not in the suggested age range, but any child can join in. There is also free play available at any time.

So yes, 3-12s can be together.

In addition, each space will have an "open house" time each day. During "open house" hours, parents, siblings, adults without kids, etc. are welcome in the area. It is a great time for families to play together. Kids must have a parent supervising during this time. BUT they do not close the "supervised" programming (which is officially called "secure"). Kids who are checked into the programming are moved to the other space. So while the OC has open house, the signed in kids are in the Lab...even if they are 3 years old. The deal is that no kid who is signed in will be in contact with any adult who is not a CM.

The ages are:

Club/Lab 3-12

Edge 11-14

Vibe 14-17

Yes, there is overlap. The idea is that the kid/parent can decide where that child fits best rather than dictating on the basis of age and having parents again wanting to move up their kids.

The age range of 3 to 12 does seem huge, but the Lab and Club do work remarkably well. Little kids tend to hang out more in the Club in the physical play/hide-and-seek type rooms. Bigger kids gravitate more to the Lab with more sophisticated computer games and art projects. Regardless older kids do go to the Club - my 8-yo daughter prefers some of the computer games in the Club. Younger kids do go to the Lab - my 4-yo likes the tracing table in the Lab. I did not see examples of 3-yo kids getting run over by a 10-yo. It probably happens, but it's rare. The staff does a good job.

Seriously, DCL tried almost every age break you can imagine...and there were always parents who were convinced that their kids had to be together regardless of age. The worst ones were where they thought the 11 year old should have to "watch out for" the 4 year old. So the 11 year old isn't supposed to be on vacation????? Bottom line, no matter what they tried, most of the first day was taken up with placating parents who wanted to "move up" a younger kid so they could all be together.

It still happens, but lately DCL seems to have realized that if they allow a 9 or 10 year old into the Edge, the 13s and 14s will not come. Big surprise. And the excuse that "he's too mature for the Lab" doesn't fly--the programming in the Lab is intended and designed for kids thru age 12.

They have eliminated most of the previous "fudge factors," so now you either meet the age range or you don't. No more "in the Vibe" till out of high school--per legal, at 18 the person is an adult and is OUT of the programming. The "college club" morphed into the "18-21 club" and most of the older college kids now go elsewhere. A high school senior and a kid who has been away from home for a year or more just don't usually mix on a maturity level. In several ways it is too bad that a few rotten apples spoiled the situation, but that's life.

Thanks for the info. That sucks that they mix the ages together. I dont understand why people have to insist on keeping siblings together.

because youngers often want to be with the older or don't want to be alone. or the parents want the older to look out for the younger. the older isn't going to want to move down, and many parents wouldn't want the older kids with the youngers anyway.

Or they are friends/play well together but are a year/two apart. I've seen the issue many times on carnival/others lines in regards to siblings/friends/family members cruising together. If the ages are 3-7, 8-11, and your 7 year is bringing his 8 year old friend who is in the same grade, then they'd be in different clubs, not together.

Now, I'm with you. I wouldn't want my 3 year in the same area as a 7 or 11 year old. Big kids tend to run over the little ones and mine has learned to be scared of bigger kids (she has good reasons). But we don't use the clubs yet (we cruise as a family, dh wants to spend time with dd, not leave her in the club).

We were on the Fantasy about a month ago with 2, 3, and 4 yo. We had the exact same reservations as you do. The two areas are definitely two VERY different spaces. The hallway is such that it doesn't really make it feel like they're connected.

The open house times are usually early morning and during early dinning time. Both were very inconvenient times for us.

I would suggest you do what we did. Go ahead and register her for kids club. Go check it out when you get on board the first day and see it for yourself. Talk to the counselors and give them your concerns. They are VERY helpful.

Our original plan was to drop the kids off for a specific activity that we thought they might like to do and then pick them up as soon as that activity was over with. However, for us, it never worked out that way.

We would get up, get ready for the day, go to breakfast and then decide what we wanted to do. We spent about 3hrs doing activities around the boat. Character meets, sports deck, just walking around the ship, shopping, etc. We had lunch and then put the younger ones down for a nap. They slept for about 1-1.5 hrs. We had probably 2hrs before it was time to get ready and go to dinner. (We had early dinning) After dinner there was maybe an hour before we started to head toward the show. After the show was over the kids were tired and it was time to put them to bed. We just never seemed to have any time to take them to the kids club.

I think they would have liked the kids club a lot and I think it probably would have been fine to leave them for a short period of time. Like Moki's Mom said, the areas are geared for the different age groups. The Oceaneers club has a definite small kids feel to it. Older kids would get bored very quickly.

I think it would also depend on your daughter. Is she a joiner? Does she make friends easily? Our 3 yo is very shy at first and won't generally dive right into something. She usually needs a little back up until she feels comfortable. If you drop your daughter off for a specific activity, you can tell the CMs what she's there for and they can take her over to the area and introduce her to whoever's in charge of the activity. There's a little bit more supervision with the activities and it's more structured.

From the little bit that we saw, the CMs were doing a wonderful job and the kids were all having a ball.

There is a morning exercise/dance party for preschoolers each morning. This is NOT part of the programming. It is an event for children and parents..called something like "Wake up with Disney, Jr." Occasionally there is a character appearance. Lots of fun if you are out and about that early.

At 3 1/2 our granddaughter refused to wear the tracking bracelet and thus couldn't go to the club. At 5 1/2 she didn't want to eat dessert because it was cutting into her club time.

Never could tell where she would be in the club - sometimes playing on the dance floor, sometimes in the Toy Story area, sometimes watching movies with older kids or playing on the computers, sometimes doing science projects. Councillors do a great job of watching out for the younger kids. And the kids really seem to enjoy picking what they want to do.

There is a morning exercise/dance party for preschoolers each morning. This is NOT part of the programming. It is an event for children and parents..called something like "Wake up with Disney' date=' Jr." Occasionally there is a character appearance. Lots of fun if you are out and about that early.[/quote']

What time does it usually begin? If they don't advertise it, how do people find out about it?

What time does it usually begin? If they don't advertise it, how do people find out about it?

Who said they don't advertise it? It is listed in the Navigator and noted as a "Family Activity." That's as much advertising as they do for most things. On the Magic it was every sea day. It was about 9:00, although if someone said it was 8:30 I wouldn't argue. It is run by a member of the cruise staff, not the youth activities staff.

I'm one of those annoying parents who want their kids together, in fact that was one of the deciding factors that led us to go Disney. My kids are 5 & 7 and play together every day & are not super outgoing, so to have them be able to to the kids club activities together means more enjoyment for them & by extension, me.

I'm one of those annoying parents who want their kids together, in fact that was one of the deciding factors that led us to go Disney. My kids are 5 & 7 and play together every day & are not super outgoing, so to have them be able to to the kids club activities together means more enjoyment for them & by extension, me.

But 5 and 7 are very close in age and actually would have been together in the original DCL age groupings. Now at 6 and 8, they would have been separated in the original set up.

I do understand wanting the kids to be able to be together. But I also understand that DCL was trying to give everyone the best possible experience. Since they basically gave up on age groupings for the 3-12s, now parents are concerned about the "big kids" being around the young ones. No matter what Disney tries, someone will not like it!

I really don't see it changing from the current set up, and in my experience, it is rare to see a "big kid" wanting to play in the "little kid" spaces except during open house time in the Lab (when they have no choice).

My suggestion to all parents is to check it out on the first day, talk to the CMs, and then do what seems best for your child/children.

Plus, the kids areas seem to be heavily supervised, so I don't think the CMs probably allow too much flattening of little ones by bigger kiddos! :)

They are very heavily supervised and well versed in US childcare standards and expectations. However, they make it very clear that one on one care cannot be provided.

Have a great cruise!

Our first family DCL cruise was the 7th for our youngest...she's been cruising since she was a toddler, and was 6 at the time, and well used to daycare settings, and the camp programs on other cruiselines. That being said, she hated the kids program on the Dream, and would much rather stay with us. There were just too many kids for her comfort. Fast forward to age 9, back again on the Dream, and she was much happier. I'd have to guess the kid count was the same, both times the ship was sold out, and there seemed to be kids everywhere. And while she was ok spending time in camp, she was always ok leaving, when on other lines it was difficult to get her to want to leave. Her comments when I asked...it was just too crazy sometimes, too many kids just left to do what they wanted. Apparently my kid prefers some organization, but you'd never know it to meet her lol

Our first family DCL cruise was the 7th for our youngest...she's been cruising since she was a toddler, and was 6 at the time, and well used to daycare settings, and the camp programs on other cruiselines. That being said, she hated the kids program on the Dream, and would much rather stay with us. There were just too many kids for her comfort. Fast forward to age 9, back again on the Dream, and she was much happier. I'd have to guess the kid count was the same, both times the ship was sold out, and there seemed to be kids everywhere. And while she was ok spending time in camp, she was always ok leaving, when on other lines it was difficult to get her to want to leave. Her comments when I asked...it was just too crazy sometimes, too many kids just left to do what they wanted. Apparently my kid prefers some organization, but you'd never know it to meet her lol

Interesting, Nanci. If you look at the Navigator, there are supervised activities running all day. Sometimes there are 4 at the same time with 4 different suggested age groups. Of course, there is always "free play" available as an option. I wonder if she didn't find the activities that were designed for her age. On the other hand, our worst cruises from a kid programming standpoint were the Lab ages. I heard about obnoxious, loud boys, computers that didn't work, and "nothing fun to do."

When we cruised the Dream with our son (4) and niece (3). They stayed mostly over on the Club side, which has spaces designed for the younger ones. The Lab side is designed for older kids. For the most part it appeared the kids were self choosing the appropriator sides because of the activities. The club areas where Toy story, Nemo, Monsters inc, and Tinkerbell. While the older Lab side had animation, and games that were beyond my kids ability. Now, he did go over to the movie area in the Lab and watched a movie while "resting but I had my eyes open" on the beanbag chairs like we have at home.

There was some age group mixing but from what I could tell they looked like sibling interactions.

DCL Blog has some pictures of the new Magic Club/Lab areas.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014/02/re-imagined-disney-magic-oceaneer-club-lab/

• 7 years later...

Does anyone know if a kid can age up to go the Edge? My grandson turns 11 the day after the cruise ends. This year he really wanted to go but at age 9 they said no. I was hoping since he would be days away from 11 that this might be allowed. 

Any ideas?

15 hours ago, Krazyfuntimes said:

Does anyone know if a kid can age up to go the Edge? My grandson turns 11 the day after the cruise ends. This year he really wanted to go but at age 9 they said no. I was hoping since he would be days away from 11 that this might be allowed. 

Any ideas?

Disney is pretty strict on ages.  With the number of kids on board an average Disney cruise it would quickly become chaos if they started making exceptions.

15 hours ago, Krazyfuntimes said:

Any ideas?

Unless the ship is really light on 11 to 14 year olds, it's unlikely they will let him into the Edge.

If your grandson is almost 11 when he boards the cruise, it is possible, but not guaranteed, that he would be allowed into Edge. The decision is at the discretion of the castmembers and does depend in part on how many kids onboard are in the 11-14 age range. You can ask after you're onboard. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, mommb said:

If your grandson is almost 11 when he boards the cruise, it is possible, but not guaranteed, that he would be allowed into Edge. The decision is at the discretion of the castmembers and does depend in part on how many kids onboard are in the 11-14 age range. You can ask after you're onboard. 

Completely accurate. I would even say "probable" but you won't know until onboard. 

We just got off a very tween/teen heavy cruise and there was a lot of kids moving up in the age groups. We had the other issue...my niece had just turned 18 and felt a little lost. She and my teen boys did visit the Club/Lab during Open House to relive their glory days!